FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Presidential Debate Predictions: Advantage Bush (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Presidential Debate Predictions: Advantage Bush
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
As you pointed out, Kerry said that 34 years ago. I would love a record of what Bush was saying 34 years ago.

Secondly, his world test thing is not the same, his position now is that the US can act unilaterally and at the prerogative of the President, but when it comes time to put the cards on the table we need to be holding good ones. Before his position was we needed approval before we went to war.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
I must say I didn't watch the debates. I am tired of the two party system. Why weren't any of the other candidates invited to debate? Why can't we have several more debates allowing more of the candidates to participate?
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Why can't we have several more debates allowing more of the candidates to participate?"

Because one of them might actually win.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Out of interest, Ron, on your planet, is there any possible reality in which Kerry does not wind up exposed as a fraud, defeated handily, and derided by millions? Just asking. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
I think Kerry's statement from 30 years ago is dead on. If people aren't attacking us, we should only be attacking them if the world agrees it is right - same as one person attacking another in the U.S.

However, Kerry's statement from 30 years ago bears no resemblence whatsoever to his policy today, or his record. He now states flat out that America does have the right to invade whomever it chooses whenever it chooses. He said that as recently as last night. His remark about the "global test" was referring to a standard of decent behavior that mankind as a whole has accepted in the past. It's a standard along the lines of saying you have to have proof your preemptive target is a real and immediate threat. This is "global" in the same way that the standard rules of war are global.

But to try to characterize that as claiming other nations get to decide when we have passed that test is a rather obvious misrepresentation, given Kerry has specifically rejected that idea during the campaign on multiple occassions and explained it during the debate as specifically not that.

Truthfully, I think he'd be a wiser leader if he did say we are bound to the U.N.'s decisions when it comes to preemptie strikes, because that is how it should be. But the fact remains he quite clearly did not say that, despite whatever words Republicans want to put in his mouth. It's clear enough that I think most average voters would immediately see through such attacks.

[ October 02, 2004, 02:00 AM: Message edited by: Xaposert ]

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaeron
Member # 744

- posted      Profile for Chaeron   Email Chaeron         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, stop putting smilies on the ends of your biting, acerbic posts. It removes power from your otherwise masterful writing.
Posts: 1769 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
If it makes you feel better, feel free to think of them as sarcastic, derisive smirks. [Wink]
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
But that taints the wholesome goodness of the smiley.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Why can't we have several more debates allowing more of the candidates to participate?"

Because one of them might actually win.

I knew there was a good reason [Razz]
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
In answer to your question, Tom, probably the only planet in which Kerry would not wind up exposed as a fraud, defeated handily, and derided by millions would be "Planet Hollywood."
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Oddly enough Ron, that is the same planet where Bush would win all three debates, as you first claimed he would...

It might be the only planet where Bush could make it through an entire televised debate without making a word up or misusing one that really exists.

Unless they allow a TelePrompter next time...

Kwea

[ October 02, 2004, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.