FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Computer help, please?

Author Topic: Computer help, please?
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine has an old computer with all of her genealogy in it. I can't get the A drive to work, and one of her grandkids shoved a DVD into the 5.25 floppy drive. We don't have any 5.25 floppies anyway. It has a serial and a parallel port that should work.

Is there an easy way to get the data out to put on another computer? She has 30,000 names...we don't really want to type them all again.

Thanks,
Rain

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you set up a dial up internet access and email the relevant files to another computer? Yahoo accounts now allow up to 100mb of information. If you need more space, I can lend you my gmail account.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
You're not real clear, here, Rain.

What is keeping her from getting the data off? I mean, the A: drive doesn't work, and obviously now the 5.25 drive doesn't work, but what is preventing her from getting the information off the hard disk? (C: drive probably)??

Or is this one that is so old it BOOTS from the 5.25?

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh -- I see.

She can access the data - but not transfer it out. I should have read more carefully.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are quick!

It has no modem, either. We can afford to spend a little money to fix this problem, maybe $50 or so. I just don't know what to do.

Thanks,
Rain

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

Another possibility is using an external floppy drive. But if your computer is really old, it might not have "plug and play" support. What operating system is it running on? Windows 3.0?
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

Nope. No plug and play, no windows. It's really old.

Thanks,
Rain

vwiggin
Member # 926

I'll bet one of your friends have an old 28k modem lying around somewhere...

The only other thing I can think of is to remove the hard drive and install it into a newer computer. Don't worry, I'm sure someone will figure out something for you. [Wink]

Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

- posted      Profile for Wonder Dog           Edit/Delete Post 
The most hassle free way of doing this is to take out the hard disk and slap it in another machine. Any reputable tech shop should be able to do that on the cheap... of course, you'll save more by having the drive out already. It's not a hard thing to do.

Why would I say remove the hd over using one of the other ports? Getting your serial or parrellel port to transfer data to another pc will depend on your OS and you configuration of those ports already. That could get sticky.

If youd like, you can email me and I can give you a step-by-step to removing your old hd, or even msn me and I can talk you through it from another machine. (If your setup allows such a solution.)

Let me know.

Woof.

Posts: 353 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
A dial-up modem would cost you, $20? Give or take?

A replacement 3.5" floppy will run you 10-15 dollars.

If you're feeling brave, crack open the case and swap the cables from the floppy drives and see if the power cable just came loose.

Otherwise, I'll go with the "swap out the hard drive" notion.

And on a completely unrelated note - the CD/DVD accident was too, too funny. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bekenn
Member # 6602

- posted      Profile for Bekenn   Email Bekenn         Edit/Delete Post 
Move the hard drive to another machine, just as these fine folks have suggested. If the machine really is as old as it seems to be, then 1) how much do you want for it, and 2) you're not likely to be able to get any modems or network cards working with it.
Posts: 293 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

thanks, everyone. I think I'll go and get the thing and bring it home to work on. I have another old computer that's in better shape...only the battery is dead. Maybe between the two I can come up with one that works?
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a plan - good luck.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.