FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I think I'm becoming a Farmgirl

Author Topic: I think I'm becoming a Farmgirl
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
This morning we put in an offer on a house, and the sellers accepted. Of course all is contingent upon our financing, so it's not a totally done deal yet. The house is decent; we'll need to add on in a few years if not earlier. However, it sits on 21 acres of beautiful land, up on a hill. It actually has a barn and fencing. The people who live there now keep horses. I'm envisioning chickens and lots of kitties for the barn.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
<---- jealous!
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
YAY!!!! [The Wave]

(I'll be happy to ship over a few chickens and kitties to get you started!)) [Big Grin]

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but do you think Farm Girl will sue for name infringement? [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Pre-grats, Space Opera! I hope it works out for you! My mother would be INSANELY jealous; she's wanted a farm as long as I can remember.

Will you also have other animals than chickens and kitties? I hear pygmy goats are cute... [Big Grin]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. I think eventually we might get some other animals. What do you do with goats, though? I thought chickens would be good because of eggs. Oh, and just so no one thinks we're rolling in the dough - this property was at an insanely low price. We'll have to leave our current school district to move, but we think it will be worth it. It's funny how much property values differ.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Goats are good grazers. My grandma used them as living lawnmowers. She also milked and butchered them. I drank a lot of goat’s milk and had to choke down a lot of the meat. I don’t care how it was prepared; it always had that “goat” taste to me.
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
*In my best Eddie Albert voice*

Farm living is the life for me...

Wishing you the best of luck.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
yay for farm girls! farm girls are HOT!

(says a farm boy)...

[Smile]

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

No, Trevor -- but I might bean you for making it into two words.... j/k

I also have a thoroughbred horse that would look great on your new place, Nicole! (and I'm getting really fed up with him!) [Big Grin]

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

[Kiss] plaid!

(plaid always makes my day......)

Space Opera
Member # 6504

A horse, Farmgirl? Hmm. If you're getting so fed up with him that you want him to die, sure...just send him on down. [Wink] I don't know anything about taking care of horses, but perhaps I should learn. 'Course, I don't know anything about chickens either. Now that I've found out that goats are lawnmowers, Mr. Opera might be voting for some of them too.!

space opera

plaid
Member # 2393

[Blushing]
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

That's ok Farmgirl - at least the joke wasn't in vine.

I realize I've bean funnier, but what you seed is what you get.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

(sings)
Farm girl, get out of my mind
My love for you is way out of line
Better run, girl
You're much too... um... farm?... girl...

tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, Spacey! Yay! [Big Grin]

*crosses fingers for finance*

Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Space Opera, I'll come down and we'll go horse shopping. I've always wanted to look at horses for salein kentucky, never really had a chance though.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Ah, such unbridled passion. I hated to saddle another thread with puns, so insteed this will be my last en-canter with the punning experience.

-Trevor

[ September 27, 2004, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: TMedina ]

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
One nice thing is that goats prefer eating noxioux weeds over hay, clover, and other grasses. So you can grow fodder for feeding cows/sheep/horses while the goats keep the weeds from overrunning the pasture.
As far as keeping your around-the-house lawn area trimmed and weeded, a couple of sheep (sheep are extremely social animals) in addition to your goat will probably be better.

Having a few goats and sheep around is also good for making some excellent cheeses.

And if you decide upon growing clover as your overwinter feed stock, a family-sized vegetable/etc garden, and/or a few fruit/nut trees, keeping your own beehive for pollination and honey would be nice.
If you hate using pesticides, maybe you'll want a few predatory wasp nests to take care of common garden pests.

[ September 27, 2004, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IvyGirl
Member # 6252

- posted      Profile for IvyGirl   Email IvyGirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Space Opera! But under no circumstances are we sending any kitties to you, at least from our house! *Glares at Farmgirl* However, you can have the thoroughbred, because much as I love him, he and my grandmother don't get along. He's really sweet, so I have a hard time seeing why, besides the fact that she's scared of him because he's so big. I think he's fun though because he's like a big baby. Ah well, to each his (or her) own I guess.

Ivygirl

Posts: 156 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I hear pygmy goats are cute..
Pygmy goats are the work of the devil, they are smart, strong, fast, and small enough that you can't just tackle them. Good luck keeping them were you want them.
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

I'm going to do some reading on both goats and sheep. There are plenty of weeds for a goat, so that should be no problem!

We walked the entirety of the property tonight. Oh my gosh!!! It's like a state park in your own backyard. The land is rolling, and has tons of trees. There is also a creek in which we saw tons of frogs - obviously the kids' favorite part. There are several nice paths due to the horses that were on the property. I'm going to kick myself if for some reason our financing doesn't go through.

space opera

dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
[The Wave] [The Wave] I really hope your financing comes through, that sounds super!!!
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow - that sounds amazing Space Opera!

I really hope your finance comes through....

Oh, what fun for you and your family. *Wildly jealous*

Oooh, I know a book you should get - chock full of information on how to use land (including stocking your own trout farm...). Back to Basics I have it and find it fascinating. Sure, some bits are slightly silly (home made coon skin caps, anyone?) but overall I love it!

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

I worked on a farm with goats once... they're fun (they've got lots of personality)... but they can be a pain, too, most important thing being to have REALLY good fences for them (that they can't crawl under nor jump over)...

One thing about having animals = different fences work for different animals. So a barbed wire fence that's fine for cattle probably won't work for goats, an electric fence that's strong enough for goats won't work for sheep, etc., so when you put in your fences, keep in mind the different sorts of animals you'll eventually have, and you'll save yourself a LOT of $ and work...

[edit: cows and goats aren't the same thing]

[ September 27, 2004, 10:08 PM: Message edited by: plaid ]

Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
Word to the wise... get the barn cats spayed or neutered.

Trust me, thirty-seven cats is too many for one barn. My Dad and Step-mom didn't spay the first cat and then couldn't catch all of the ones from the first litter. And on and on...

Disease took most of the cats a few years later, it wasn't pretty.

Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

What L.A. said... and don't worry about how many cats you need to start -- if you're tender-hearted, you'll soon be adopting all the stray cats that flock to your farm...
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
Space,
I sure hope it works out for you. I really, really want to get back out the country.

Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
You need an attack llama to guard the place.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ctm
Member # 6525

- posted      Profile for ctm   Email ctm         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, Space Opera! Country living is good! Chickens are pretty easy to raise, and goats are fun.

We had some borrowed goats for a while, and since we don't have the right fencing we just kept them on picket lines, and moved them on to the next patch of weeds every few days. The had a bucket of water near them, and we checked them s few times a day to make sure they weren't tangled. They were pygmy goats. Super cute, my daughter adored them!

ctm

Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
Greeeeeeeeeeen acres is the place to be!

I'll be your llama!

Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, cool! I did exactly the same thing in 1990. We now have a total of 88 acres, a dozen cows, a bull and a duck. I never want to live anywhere else.
Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
or attack geese. Smaller and cheaper than Llamas AND they lay eggs!
Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I have that Back to Basics book, Imogen -- and I LOVE it!

I personally prefer sheep over goats. I know that goats eat things that even sheep won't, but there just isn't much purpose to goats -- I mean, I've eaten goat meat (didn't care for it) and had goat milk -- and neither was enough to make me want to raise them.

Sheep, on the other hand, I grew up raising and showing in 4-H and that is really good eating! (I'm talking lamb, here, not the older "mutton" which isn't as good. Some people have eaten mutton instead of lamb when ordering lamb in restuarants and stores, and it sours them on the taste of sheep meat for life).

But I advise you to start slowly, SO -- don't overwhelm yourself with learning a bunch of new livestock information all at once. Do the chickens and get comfortable with them, then slowly add other things.

Farmgirl

Space Opera
Member # 6504

Thanks for the advice, Farmgirl. I'm thinking that we'll start with chickens and once we get used to caring for them then we can think about adding a couple of goats. Since we'll be moving right before Thanksgiving, I'm wondering if I'll even have time to get a chicken coop and everything set up before it gets cold. I might have to wait till spring.

space opera

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
You are missing one crucial ingreedient: For all the stock you need a stock dog.

I'd reccomend an Australian Shepherd though a Corgi would do. And they'll keep your other dog entertained too. <Grin>

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

That's right, SO -- you will probably have to wait until spring -- that is the normal time to add to a chicken flock, because that is when new chicks are available.

Unless you know someone that has extra grown chickens, wanting to get rid of them.

But that gives you all winter to take inventory of what you need, what you have, and get it ready.

Farmgirl

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.