FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I like coffee

Author Topic: I like coffee
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I did not sleep. So today I went to one of the vending machines at my school and got a hot capuccino. First time I've really drunk a cup of coffee.

Why didn't anyone tell me?

It was glorious. It was incredible. It was beautiful. And after one cup, I am addicted to coffee.

Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and that's only cappucino! It gets better! [Cool]

[ September 27, 2004, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: Little_Doctor ]

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a similar situation a year ago. Only after my night of zero sleep and my first taste of coffee, I was turned off of coffee for life.

The smell too...I'm the only person I know who can't stand the smell.

Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Um...vending machine cappucino???

Oh dear, oh dear.

It is time for a road trip. Cafe Du Monde for chicory coffee as cafe au lait. Add some beignets.

Okay, also, go to Starbucks and get a Grande Mochachino.

Eventually, we'll try you with Turkish coffee from a street vendor in the Middle East carrying his coffee cooker on his back.

Welcome to the DARk (roasted) side.

[Evil Laugh]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

Tonight I made some frapuccino.

And this is why I'm never gonna try even one cigarette . . .

Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaeron
Member # 744

- posted      Profile for Chaeron   Email Chaeron         Edit/Delete Post 
I have some advice for you: never, under any circumstances, ever try meth.
Posts: 1769 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
The bean is keen.

But no matter how foofified coffee becomes, you can't beat fresh-ground Jamaican Blue Mountain made with clean water in your favorite mug.

A mug of that, out on the back deck on a cool evening, a cigarette and light conversation is pretty close to Heaven for me.

Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
I drank coffee only once in my whole life, and that was when I was a little kid. The reason I don't drink it is that I've seen what happens when you abuse it... That's the case with drinking alcohol or smoking too.

Just about coffee now: I don't trust myself enough in order to know when to stop. So yeah, I might be missing alot - that's what other people tell me about wines, for example - but hey, I'm still alive without it! (though I'm kinda sleepy now, I think I'll probably have a... nap [Big Grin] )

That being said, enjoy your coffees!

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

Ah, you see Bob, the point is that vending machine capuccino is only fifty cents a cup. And smells faintly of popcorn.
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Still, it comes from a vending machine, and is disgusting little powder poorly mixed with hot water. Listen to my future brother-in-law, for he speaks truth.

Um, except he left out the Vietnamese coffee. The darkest, finest ground coffee you'll ever find, in a metal filter on top of a cup... hot water poured over it at your table, and you must wait for it to filter through. Did I mention there's sweetened-condensed milk at the bottom of the cup? Fabulous, fabulous.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
I've had maybe one small sip of coffee.

At the time, I thought it was disgusting. I like the smell, though.

Then again, I wasn't sleep deprived at the time [Razz]

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Coffee doesn't so much wake me up and help me concentrate as it does give me a brief period of ADD.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
...coffee actually puts me to sleep.

o_O

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Not a unique experience, mackillian. If it is late in the night -- or if I haven't been asleep or getting enough sleep for an extended period of time -- a cup of coffee can relax me enough to fall sleep also.
Depends on mood.

I've had fairly decent vending-machine coffees and coffee drinks like cappucinos. Depends on the machine, the vendor, and the store owner. Not great, but easily drinkable.
Which isn't the case with some of the restaurant coffees I've run across, in the South especially. I assume they buy the cheapest commercial pre-ground made from the cheapest beans, then use as little as possible to color the water.
Then again, Southern restaurants could just be buying used grounds from other states to make their coffee.

[ September 28, 2004, 02:11 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I think at McDonald's they use their leftover coffee sludge to make their orange juice.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm...coffee. [Big Grin]

::wants coffee now::

And I am definitely NOT one of those who can drink a cup of coffee and go to bed. [Grumble]

...Not if I want to sleep, anyway. [Razz]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
margarita
Member # 6856

- posted      Profile for margarita   Email margarita         Edit/Delete Post 
I went off coffee for a while, and lost my tolerance for it. Which is handy for when I stay up too late, and still have to go to work in the morning.

My mom (who really, really likes giving me presents now that I'm all grown up and no longer financially dependent on her) gave me a coffee maker the last time I saw her, which has revolutionized my mornings.

Posts: 54 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Coffee ALWAYS puts me to sleep. Of course, I never drink it in the morning because the one time I did, I had the worst shakes because it was all I had for breakfast. But a cup of coffee in the evening -- warm and relaxing. Just enough to unwind from the day. Alcohol is the same way.

ElJay, I'll have to try the coffee at our favorite Vietnamese restaurant now!

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I do not like coffee, and I've tried it many, many times.

I do however, love Cafe Du Monde, but I go for the orange juice with my beignets. [Big Grin]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
I kad a friend who would perk up after one cuppa joe, but with the second, she'd lose her steam. Weird.
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
This one time, on a speech trip, I finished off a girl's latte for her. This is me who never even drank Coke. I was awake for 48 hours and the patterns on carpets would dance around. It was a pretty freaky experience.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

I gave a few other non-coffee-drinkers a sip of my coffee today.

I've made three new coffee adicts. [Big Grin]

You see, this vending machine makes good capuccino.

ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Uhleeuh - You're not the only one. The smell of coffee makes me sick to my stomach. I literally have to hold my breath if I walk past the coffee in the grocery store. It's just weird.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the smell of coffee. There is no better way to start your day than the smell of coffee in the making.

I hate the taste of coffee. There is no better way to ruin your day than the taste of coffee after drinking.

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Those of you who don't like coffee have simply not tried it the right way.

-o-

Eljay, since your future brother-in-law can't seem to remember the coffee I made for him, I'll be sure and not make it for him again. [Razz]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Will you make it for me?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Do you own an espresso machine? If not, it will have to wait until you visit Florida. [Smile]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

I don't... but I wasn't aware you were coming to Minnesota, either. Regardless, I just wanted to see if you were willing to make it for me, so I can taunt Bob.
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
but I wasn't aware you were coming to Minnesota, either.
I'm not going to Minnesota . . . I was thinking of the wedding--

O_O

Have Cor and I been uninvited?

;_;

[ September 28, 2004, 08:08 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

ElJay
Member # 6358

I hope not, as that would make the groom's side rather short. But at the wedding, it would be way more relevant if dkw had an espresso machine than me, as I do not live in Iowa. [Wink] Oh, and she doesn't. She doesn't drink coffee. Unless Bob has one, then she will!
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going on very little sleep so I stopped for coffee on the way to school. I got about a pint of strong coffee. I shook all the way through 2nd period. I am like Book, large amounts of coffee give me ADD. Needless to say I did not get much done that day.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.