FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Allergies

Author Topic: Allergies
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
In the past week or so the pollen count where I live has gone through the roof. I am absolutely miserable, and I can’t get my prescription until tomorrow. Does anyone have advice on what to do in the mean time.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Polio
Member # 6479

- posted      Profile for Polio   Email Polio         Edit/Delete Post 
Move to Alaska. Live in one of those bubbles. Get the Reactin man to drive around your neighborhood. [Dont Know] I'm not much help, sorry! [Group Hug]
Posts: 165 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Take some allegra, Allegra!

Depends on what sort of symptoms you have. There are some good over-the-counter nasal sprays (as well as general antihistimines such as Dimetapp and Benedryl, if you don't mind the drowsiness). Otherwise, your best bet is probably to stay indoors as much as possible. Shower and change your clothes if you've been outside. A nice, hot shower might also clear your head a little, if that's a problem. If your house doesn't have AC and you need the windows open to stay cool, you might try spending time at someone else's house.

Sorry you're having problems. I know firsthand how unpleasant allergies are.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

I actually have a prescription for allegra. The pharmacist thinks it is hilarious. I am on Benedryl for now, but I am still feeling crappy. A nice hot bath does sound nice.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Shigosei, I'm glad I'm not the only one who though of that joke....

My allergies have been bad this year also, and now we're starting to get into autumn weather, which is my worst time of the year. I take over the counter Alavert because with Missy's ADHD issues and with the father's unwillingness to give me any money for their support, I can't afford the second medication deductible to get anything prescription for myself. Normally Alavert is sufficient, but this past week has been brutal. So I'm supplementing with Benadryl, which naturally makes me very drowsy but does help take me over that edge. Just didn't work very well against Xnera's cat this weekend.

Goody

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you guys tried Claritin?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

It wasn't strong enough for me, so my doctor put me on allegra. I think she just got a kick out of putting a girl named Allegra on allegra.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Claritin and Alavert are the same medication. Alavert is significantly less expensive, at least here. They both work the same for me, so I stretch my money out and buy Alavert instead.

Goody

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

- posted      Profile for Anthro   Email Anthro         Edit/Delete Post 
A tablespoon of honey daily from within fifty miles of my home does nicely for my pollen allergies.
Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
skip school!!!

seriously, when pollen gets high, the mold at south just makes me sicker. You could always nap during SRT, under the piano is pretty comfy, and you can make it totally dark in there.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

With my insurance, my allergy medicine is cheaper then most otc medications. I am greatful to be on my fathers plan.

The doctor's office called today and they won't phone in a new prescription until I go in to see them. This seems a bit wierd for allergy medicine. I am mostly bummed because they didn't have an appointment until 9am tomorrow. 13 more hours of discomfort. [Frown]

Anthro: I have heard about the honey thing but I don't know why it works. I talked to a doctor about it and he thought that it should not work.

Breyer:I stayed home today. I thought I should when I realized I couldn't hold my head up.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Staying home from school is good, south is bad (but srt days are good, if you can sleep in orch room, I loved second and third term when I did)

with my dad's insurance perscriptions are cheaper than otc allergy medicine too.

edit: oh are our dad's on the same insurance?

[ September 29, 2004, 09:31 PM: Message edited by: breyerchic04 ]

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

Probably because our fathers both work for Otis. I think even though they are doing different things they have the same insurance
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I sort of spaced your dad working at Otis for a minute, oops.
Anthro
Member # 6087

Normally I have awful allergies. Unless it's a placebo effect, the honey does work.

I've heard it explained that because a good bit of the pollen you're getting is mixed up in the honey, it gives you a passive resistance. Think of it like a vaccine. A particularly tasty vaccine.

Posts: 550 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

But allergies do not work like bacteria. The way I understand it the more you are exposed to an allergen the stronger your reaction will be. This is why it doesn’t make sense to me.
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
I started on Claritin, moved to Allegra because Claritin was weak, then moved to Zyrtec because Allegra was weak and I didn't like taking two large pills a day, and now I'm not taking anything and am instead dealing with a daily stuffy nose and constant sneezing because the only thing the medicines do for me is make me drowsy.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Claritin made you drowsy? I thought that was one of its main features, that it didn't cross the blood-brain barrier as Benadryl does, which according to my mother and my sister-in-law (RN and Pharm respectively) is why Benadryl knocks you out and is used in sleeping medications.

I didn't get the drowsy effect from Claritin nor do I currently from Alavert (same active ingredient - Loratadine - at the same dosage). Unfortunately, when I have to supplement, it's with Benadryl to prevent overdose and then I end up getting fuzzy and sleepy.

Goody

Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...I suppose the sky-high pollen count would be why I've felt like there's a super-fine dust between my contact lenses and my eyes these past couple weeks. Ugh. I hope it goes away soon.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Claritin also makes me drowsy. Apparently it makes a low percentage of people that way.

I'm one of them. Figures. Claritin, on my allergies, works WONDERFULLY. But I have to take wimpy Allegra so that I'm not fatigued all the time. [Mad]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
The best temporary relief I have ever found is lying down, closing my eyes and putting a cool, damp washcloth over my face. Whenever the cloth gets too warm or dry, soak it again.

Unfortunately, you can't do this all day, but while I'm doing it I feel much better.

Then again, since I moved to Las Vegas I don't have very much of a problem with my hayfever anymore. [Smile]

[ September 30, 2004, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: UofUlawguy ]

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Claritin (loratidine) can cause somnolescence in about 10% of the polulation. Also, taking loratidine with food greatly enhances its absorption, thereby worsening any side-effects.

However, I agree that loratidine can be too mild an antihistamine for severe allergies or during peak times, like now and the spring.

I like Benadryl, but only if drowsiness is an issue or it is to be taken before bedtime. I usually recommend Chlor-trimeton over Benadryl because it causes less sedation, but still causes some degree of sedation as well.

But my very general ranking of antihistamines looks something like this from best to worst:

1. Zyrtec (take at bedtime if sedation is too severe)

2. Chlor-trimeton (many combinations also have a decongestant, pseudoephredrine [Sudafed] as a decongestant as well like Drixoral)

3. Benadryl (severe sedation here)

4. Allegra

5. Claritin

Do not get me wrong, some people take Claritin and it works great, but as far as potency and effectiveness, The top 3 outshine the bottom 2. But if drowsiness is a concern, then Allegra and Claritin become the only two choices there are!

Nonpharmacologic remedies:

Vicks or other menthol containing rubs or preparations like Ponaris.

Saline nasal spray if sinuses become too dry.

Hot showers or baths do wonders as stated above. Look for menthol-containing bath salts that can be found in the skin care aisle of many department or drug stores. This is like Vicks vaporub in the bathwater and is very therapeutic, if not soothing. But the fumes can be overpowering too.

I also like warm washcloth compresses as well.

But in essence, the best remedy is an anihistamine followed by any other techiniques that help a person feel better.

P.S. Do not hesitate to take Tylenol or ibuprofen for sinus pressure, as needed. Sometimes a complex allergy/sinus problem needs a combination allergy/decongestant. I then also recommend an analgesic to help with the aches and pains accompanying many sinus problems.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Claritin commercial:
"New non-drowsy Claritin. Side effects may include headaches, drowsiness..."

Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

I just found out that I have a sinus infection. I guess when my allergies flared up a week ago it left my sinuses vunerable to infection. I took an antibiotic and some allegra and I feel somewhat better. It makes sense, I was way to sick for it to just be allergies.

Mack: I have been told that allegra is stronger then claritin. I could be wrong though.

newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

Allegra is stronger, but is more annnoying to take and also makes me drowsy.
Allegra
Member # 6773

How is it more annoying to take?
mackillian
Member # 586

'Cause it's bigger I guess? *shrug* I don't see a problem with it for me, at least.

The allegra didn't do much for me in terms of my eye symptoms. Ragweed kicks my ass.

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I also get drowsy from Claritin. I don't get drowsy from something else (sudafed I think) that makes everyone in my family drowsy. My mom and I have a policy where medication does the opposite to me as it does to her.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I get drowsy from all allergy medications. I used to take Claritin but it stoppped working so well. Now I take Allegra and it's not that great either. I tried Zyrtec briefly but couldn't deal with the drowsiness. On the weekend of my high school graduation (which was held outside, fairly close to a field of grass) I took prednisone. It was like a miracle. The change was so drastic and immediate it was stunning.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anthro
Member # 6087

A new theory on allergies is that bodies in over-sanitized environments have immune systems which get "bored", so to speak, and begin attacking normal things it does not often come in contact with.

The idea with honey is to indoctrinate your immune system. Convert it to pollenism.

Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Anthro, the technique is not too far from the concepts of homeopathy or allergy shots.

Homeopathic medication has trace amounts of herbs that cause the condition you are trying to alleviate. These trace amounts are supposed to awaken the body's ability to counteract, but without the symptoms of the condition.

i.e. Homeopathic headache medication may contain herbs that cause vasodilation and/or headaches.

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.