FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Should a race be held accountable for past crimes?

Author Topic: Should a race be held accountable for past crimes?
Chaeron
Member # 744

- posted      Profile for Chaeron   Email Chaeron         Edit/Delete Post 
And by this I don't mean any scientifically meaningless notion of "races" among humans, but rather a particular race of vermin which I dealt with earlier today.

Laid out around my house are live traps for catching squirrels which like to invade our house and live in the walls, chewing through phone, cable and power lines, and generally causing problems. They are big nasty black introduced squirrels which are displacing the smaller, good natured native douglas squirrels. As such, I have no real problem dispatching them with a pellet gun when they are not in the trap, otherwise, my Dad drives them across a river and lets them out in a richer neighborhood.

The other day, I caught a big rat in one of the traps. My very young half-brother decided it would be a nice pet to keep, and the rat stayed in the live trap for a couple of days while he fed and watered it. This morning I took a look at the rat and noticed a distinctly less lively animal than the one that was first discovered. The rat was clearly going to die if left in the trap, so I opened it up and let the rat out.

After I had done this, I wondered if I had done the right thing. After all, this was an animal that as a species has been responsible for more human death than perhaps any other. How could I justify keeping this dangerous vermin alive? Shouldn't I do my part to control introduced species? I won't tolerate a european squirrel, why should I tolerate his bald-tailled cousin?

What should I have done?

Posts: 1769 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, this is a difficult question for me, because I like all living creatures. If my cats are like my children, then bugs are sort of like my pets. I used to never ever kill a bug. (Edit: unless it was biting me. Bugs who try to eat me I kill in self-defense.) Mostly I just let them be. Worst I would do was catch them in one spot and release in another.

But then I found that the number of bugs that a house with catfood left out can support is completely unlimited. The bugs got more than icky, they got destructive. They began to make a mess, ruin my books, cause asthma in my cats, and scare guests.

I really wonder how Jainists handle this situation. Maybe they don't have pets. I don't like killing things yet this is intolerable. So now I kill indiscriminately the bugs of the pest species, and still mostly tolerate (unless visitors are coming) any others.

So my answer for the rat is this. If rats are a huge problem for you there, then kill it humanely. If they aren't, then let it go. Why harsh on it for being a rat? Rats gotta live too. [Smile]

[ September 29, 2004, 06:18 AM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
Considering how long those rats have been here, it's probably a little late to try and get rid of them now.
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think you would be inhumane for killing a rat that invaded your home. If you went outside your sanctuary, hell-bent on hunting down rats and killing them in their own natural habitat just for the sake of killing them, well, that might be a little bit too much over-the-top Charlton Hestonesque.

Otherwise, do your home a favor. No one likes a rat. Not even the neighbors in the better neighborhood across the river.

[ September 29, 2004, 07:09 AM: Message edited by: Alucard... ]

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you'd have been okay to kill it. Rats do not belong in people homes, I fear.

I myself have declared war on cockroaches. They ate the spines of my great-grandfather's old old books, all his Raphael Sabatini and P.C. Wren books that I was terribly fond of. No longer will I ask quarter or give it. The roaches must die.

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Kill the rat! Vicious, disease carrying critter.

*shudder*

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Alucard, I confess to having gone on Charleton-Hestony on the race of fleas. [Embarrassed]
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaeron
Member # 744

I should clarify here: we don't have a problem with rats, just squirrels, and the trap was outside beside the house, not inside.
Posts: 1769 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
After having been swarmed by a hive of yellowjackets (though I made it inside the house with only two stings and three yellowjackets actually sticking to my clothing because it was two leaps to the front door from where I disturbed the nest) I have to admit, they are the one thing that really freak me out. I sprayed two hole cans of stuff down their hole with no compunctions whatever.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
otherwise, my Dad drives them across a river and lets them out in a richer neighborhood.

Seriously? Isn't there some unpopulated area where they could be released?

This strikes me as not altogether nice.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Rats do not belong in people homes, I fear.
Hey! I've had two pet rats in my time (well...I've also had a 6' long boa constrictor as a pet too).... their names were Wiffles and Lily. And they were good rats. [Smile] I just love their little hands.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking as a public health official (I investigate dozens of cases of murine typhus every year, not to mention Leptospirosis and the possibility of plague), I say kill them all, as many as you can.

Rats are vermin and vectors. We (the health department) do hunt them down and kill them. Nasty creatures!

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaeron
Member # 744

Icarus: he lets them go in a park on the slope of a mountain. To the north, east and west there is nothing but forest and mountains, however, the rich suburb is to the south, and these squirrels like the city. Oh well.
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Rats, strictly speaking, are a species rather than a race.

[Smile]

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
We had a rat living under our garage slab.
Our black lab mix laid siege to the hole.

After about a week, the rat's corpse was found placed in front of my husband's garage door, where he could not fail to see it.

Little doggie was VERY proud of herself that evening.

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Is the intent to send them to a specific group of houses (chosen due to some common characteristic) or is the intent merely to get rid of them?
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Rats are so cute. They have adorable little paws
So are squirrels. I kept one for days before it died. [Frown]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.