FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Okay, what can this be? I don't want to call my doc and be whiny (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Okay, what can this be? I don't want to call my doc and be whiny
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Sucks to be bound by the Hippocratic oath, so you can't just suggest putting a wet Q tip in the freezer and put that in your ear. [Wink]
I can't believe this thread just went to two pages.

[ September 29, 2004, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
As long as we’re discussing ear stuff – one of my ears has been weird for about six months. Sometimes it feels like pressure on the eardrum, but most often it feels like little ants with feather dusters crawling around deep inside. I talked to my allergist, and he couldn’t find anything wrong – no wax buildup, no redness or swelling, no dryness, nothing. He said my ear could be the poster ear for “healthy and normal.” But it still tickles so much it makes me want to stab an ice pick in my ear at least once a day.

Anyone (Sara?) know what could be causing this? Or more importantly, what to do to stop it?

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
So, I had a friend look at my ear.

She said my ear canal in the affected ear is all red and half the size of my other ear canal.

o_O

And yes, she also made fun of me.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that sounds like an infection of the ear canal, then. Not a zit.

So, you probably should see a doctor.

I'm disappointed, I was hoping for an update that said you finally popped it and detailed description of all the gross stuff that came out. [Taunt]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Popping a sucker like that would been...man.

Such a loss.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Why do we have this sick fascination with that process? I mean, it's totally nasty.

But I can't let well enough alone - I've got to get the suckers.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

There's just something satisfying about popping things. Bubbles, joints, zits, blisters, bubble wrap...
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to say "ewwwwww" to all of you people, but then I remembered the grim, grotesque satisfaction I took in hobbling around a vacation town in Italy collecting impromptu medical supplies in order to cut away four different blisters on my feet, each the size of a half-dollar.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
dkw, I get that when my allergies cause swelling that leads to constriction of the tubes that connect the sinus cavities to the ear (I can't remember the word right now). The best thing I can do for it: take Allavert to treat my allergies and relieve the pressure.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There's just something satisfying about popping things. Bubbles, joints, zits, blisters, bubble wrap...
Mack, I totally sympathize.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Noemon --- sometimes you are just.......weird.
[Razz]
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I have a doctor's appointment at 2 this afternoon. [Mad]

It ALL hurts. Dammit. My ear, the side of my head, my jaw...

mackillian
Member # 586

[Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

I have an ear infection. By the time I went in to see the doctor today, I had a fever and some nicely enlarged lymph nodes. After he looked at my ears and felt my neck, he said "Okay, I'm going to give you some eardrops I want you to put in two drops four times a day, and amoxicillin three times a day for ten days."

me "I've never had an ear infection before."

him "Well, there's a first time for everything, because you certainly have one now."

THEN he said I'm not to go fencing today. [Mad]

And THEN he looked at my chart and said "We haven't done a liver function test in 3 months, so we should do that right now."

Classic bait and switch.

*sigh*

Noemon
Member # 1115

::is glad mack went to the doctor::

::also thinks it's probably a good thing that mack isn't going fencing today::

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
liver function test?? [Confused]

How did he switch to that?

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I take a variety of meds, mostly psych meds. Because they could be taxing on my liver, they periodically do liver function tests to make sure my liver is okay. He glanced at my chart and noticed I hadn't had a function test in 3 months.

So while I was THERE...they drew blood for 'em.

T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, what a coincidence. I'm on amoxacillin too! ::breaths strep all over the place::
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Good for your doctor.

YOu've got a doc that cares about your long term health. That's awesome.

mackillian
Member # 586

He's great like that. All my doctors are. They also know me very well and he made it a POINT to tell me not to fence.

'Cause I'm a little stubborn.

Just a little.

pooka
Member # 5003

So no poppage, then? Dang. Though it was an infection... so I was sort of right.
quote:
connect the sinus cavities to the ear
eustachian tubes? I know those actually drain the ear to behind the tonsils. I had tender ears and ear infections a couple of times a year most of my life.

But I can pop my ears without holding my nose or chewing gum. I have voluntary control over something that clicks in my inner ear. That may be what dkw was describing. I also don't get heartburn, as far as I can tell. I'm a medical oddity.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
*still shocked and amazed that Jamie never had an ear infection up to this point*

[ September 30, 2004, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had an ear infection.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, never? I had them all the time as a kid and have had about 10 since I turned 14. (It appears I have inherited strangely shaped sinuses from my dad which predispose me to ear infections and sinus infections.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRR
Member # 6601

- posted      Profile for RRR   Email RRR         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But I can pop my ears without holding my nose or chewing gum. I have voluntary control over something that clicks in my inner ear.
I can do that, too. I can also pop the joints in my fingers without touching them.
Posts: 104 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I can wiggle my ears without touching them.
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I never had an ear infectin until I was fifteen or so. From fifteen to twenty-five, I had them all the freaking time.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
If he's giving you eardrops, then he must have diagnosed you with otitis externa (swimmer's ear), not otitis interna (middle ear infection, typical kid's kind, where we only give drops if you have intact tubes placed in the eardrum to get behind it). That started with a bump? No, like, drainage or iching or anything? Very weird.

I'm glad you went to see a physician after that whole side of your head started hurting and you developed a fever.

I'm still betting on a carbuncle, but the oral antibiotics should take care of that. [Smile] Keep us posted!

[ September 30, 2004, 11:58 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I too kind of skimmed through most of the posts and I apologize for doing that.

I was treated for acne in the ear in high school. I ended up taking Tetracycline 500 two times a day for a month to clear it up. It never came back, but it was very gross and embarrasing.

I am therefore glad and sad that you have otitis, mack, and have to smack myself for spelling it wrong the first time to resemble a part of a woman's anatomy that I should not be commenting on.

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A little bit more on topic than that last bit, but still pretty tangental: Anybody ever feel like their ears are on too tight? Every now and then I'll feel that way. The area where the ear meets the side of my head will feel...tight. If I, say, turn my head all the way to the left, I'll be able to feel tugging at the base of my left ear that verges on being painful. If I grab my ear and pull it out away from my head it kind of pops, and is somewhat more comfortable for a little while, but before too long the sense of tightness will have returned. Eventually this problem goes away, but I experience it 5 or 6 times a year, I'd guess.
I have had that happen. But I have never tried to pull my ear to make it pop. The feeling does go away after awhile. Nice to know that someone else has this problem too.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
dkw, I get that when my allergies cause swelling that leads to constriction of the tubes that connect the sinus cavities to the ear (I can't remember the word right now). The best thing I can do for it: take Allavert to treat my allergies and relieve the pressure.
Owwww. Congested eustacian tubes hurt. Not only that, when it happens, the affected ear clicks, loud, every time I swallow. Like it's doing now. It also tends to start feeling all crawly in there (sort of like dkw mentioned). I've found that the best thing to do is to keep the ear warm. Aiming a nice warm stream of air from a blow-dryer at the ear for a few seconds works. Going to bed and nestling that ear into the pillow so that it warms up works even better. Especially since I hate, hate, hate taking drugs, even the over-the-counter kind.

Edit: for rank stupidity. [Smile]

[ October 01, 2004, 01:33 AM: Message edited by: littlemissattitude ]

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. Funny I started getting swimmers' ear after I joined the swim team, and stopped getting it when I stopped swimming so often. :-p
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

No clue what's wrong with my ear. He said infection. Gave me drops and drugs.

*shrug*

I figured, had I not gone to the doctor with my head hurting and a fever, that I would've been carried in bodily by my friends.

And I actually felt crappy enough that going to fencing dropped from my mind entirely.

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
mack, I think you and I have already come to an easy understanding about this, but just to be clear: I don't think it's effective for me to tell you to go to the doctor or not to go to the doctor. I think you make good decisions on your own, even when the world gets a little wacky -- that is, you have great survival skills, and when you mess up, you fix things for yourself.

I know you rely on people in your life who are close to you to help with the mania and when to go in for that, but I'm pretty sure that isn't the way we work best together. And I'm so glad you do have people who are closer to you than I am to help that way. (I have my own crew for similar concerns about my hobgoblins, too. [Smile] )

It's an approach I've pretty much decided to take with all of Hatrack, the more I think about it. Be frank about when I worry about my friends, link to information that may be helpful, but back off on telling people what they should do. I don't like it when people do that to me, and I suspect telling other people what to do may be more of a power trip for me than a help to them. I'm pretty sure, too, that it doesn't improve outcomes of any sort.

But I'm glad you are on antibiotics! If it's turned into a little abscess, it might have to get drained before it will fully heal (depending on the size, the antibiotics & white blood cells may not be able to get to the center of it). Did you and your physician make a contingency plan for what to do if it doesn't improve? Ar you supposed to call back?

Hope to hear (ha, ha [Smile] ) it's better in the morning.

[ October 01, 2004, 02:26 AM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I know, Sara. It's good to have knowledgable friends who are about you. [Smile]
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

[Wave] [Kiss]

Isn't it funny how much of life is learning about yourself?

I'm in Ottawa, and though I love my time here, I've finally realized that I absolutely loathe vacations. I will never want to go look at buildings or see re-enactments of famous battles. I will try to justify this in my head by looking down on the plebian exercise of, say, getting in line to go to the top of the Toronto CN tower, but it isn't based on anything subjective. It's just my personal preference.

I will never give a rat's poot about a football game, either. I mean, I can still go and get what out of it I can, but I've given up on getting swept away by it.

For me, the only good vacation would be very very tailored to my specific needs, involve lots of solitary reading or parallel play, and be, frankly, boring.

What a curmudgeon! [Big Grin]

Anyway, awesome to have you as a friend, too.

[ October 01, 2004, 02:40 AM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I am on vacation too! But I stayed home and got the home ready for fall and winter...

quote:
Isn't it funny how much of life is learning about yourself?

Yes, this week I learned that shaving is overrated, and I am growing a beard like those dudes from ZZ Top.

I also learned that I hate it when people ask questions that I am afraid to answer, because I do not know if yes or no is the appropriate answer, like:

Are you not glad that you did not get to not go to the football game...?

I mean even if I think the right answer is, "yeah, I am" they might have been expecting a "no, not really: because of some wierd regional dialect or grammatical difference.

I should go to bed...

[ October 01, 2004, 02:49 AM: Message edited by: Alucard... ]

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

That's my kind of vacation ... [ROFL]

I'm up awake because my sweetie and I quarrelled about different debarking-from-the-train habits, and so I felt rotten because of the quarrel, and so while he was in a meeting I went and got my eyebrows waxed. Definitely a masochistic pleasure. They hurt like fire now.

Ah, good grief, I just want to be a squirrel. Except for the fleas and the food shortages and the scar-inducing fights with dogs and other squirrels, and the high mortality rate, and the sleeping outside in all kinds of weather, it looks like a pretty good life.

Toronto has black squirrels. [Smile]

Ottawa has a feral cat colony on the capitol grounds. That's where I'm going tomorrow. [Smile] I think they capture and neuter, and there is food provided. For the cats.

Alucard...
Member # 4924

Is food provided before or after the neutering?

P.S. Mack, sorry to turn your otitis thread into a conversation!

Today I mowed a field, scared some birds out of my spouting with a 22, changed the oil in everything, and had the fuel tanks for the furnace and propane tank filled.

I am becoming a redneck and have come to favor overalls, coveralls, and John Deere ballcaps. I also chew Red-Man and am learning how to Clog...

Noemon
Member # 1115

You know, I generally feel the same way you do about going to see buildings and stuff. Generally, when I'm on vacation, what I like to do is get a feel for the pulse of life in another place. Unfortunately, most vacations don't last long enough to really make that happen. When Christine and I were in Thailand for 4 months or so, we did do some of the touristy "visting the different wats" type stuff, but it was our least favorite part of the trip. We much preferred just living there, eating at little hole in the wall restaurants on the street, watching the people, and generally getting a feel for the place. I do enjoy looking at and being immersed in beautiful natural places, and I enjoy poking around in ancient ruins and such, and I'm a sucker for a good natural history museum, but I don't feel the need to visit, say, the Statue of Liberty, or the Lincoln Memorial, or anything like that.

About the whole poking through ruins thing, it's funny. When I was driving through England 13 years ago, I went to a number of castles. I'd always wanted to see real castles. The ones that were completely restored, with Madam Tossaud dummies and all that, and with their long lines of gum smacking tourists bored me silly. I was much more interested in ruins like that of Raglan Castle.

Oh, about the "tight ears" thing, I misspoke--when I turn my head all the way to the left, it would be my *right* ear that would feel uncomfortably tight, not my left.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
But isn't it fun, Alucard? [Wink]

quote:
propane tank filled.
Did this hurt you and much as it hurt me this week? Mine was $1.30 per gallon to fill the 500 gallon propane tank. That will only do us through about 2 months or so of winter (depending on winter weather)

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Good god, that adds up FG! I haven't had a propane tank since I started paying the bills myself (grew up with one in the back yard though), but I had no idea what the price of propane was these days.
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Noemon, you just described my idea of a perfect vaction! You really do rock.

Raglan Castle looks cool.

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

Re: rising energy prices: Of note, China is trying to buy into Alberta (Canada)'s oil reserves, and the provincial government is warning off the national government about any thought of nationalization.

My David had predicted this sort of scenario over on GreNME. I'm going to try to get him to post some Globe & Mail links to the stories.

[ October 01, 2004, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

mackillian
Member # 586

Ear drops are a special kind of torture. [Smile]

You know, my kind of vacation has two parts. One is going out and doing something hard, athletic, and something I haven't done before (sea kayaking trip I haven't taken, summiting a mountain I've yet to climb to the top of, snowboarding at resorts I haven't visited). The other half involves sleep. And reading. And writing. And watching DVDs.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

What's wrong with ear drops? I've only had to use them a couple of times, but I love the way they feel.

I don't have a problem with eyedrops, either, which is good since I'm a contact wearer. But when my husband gets something in his eye, I practically have to tie him down to rinse it out with saline! Sheesh.

mackillian
Member # 586

They're torture 'cause they tickle the inside of your ear and you have to just let it HAPPEN! o_O
pooka
Member # 5003

I have trouble with eyedrops, I think it's pretty natural if one doesn't wear contacts. One time I had a tentacle grow out of my inner eyelid. The doc snipped it off, and it grew back and this time he gave me some topical NSAID drops. I stuck with it- nothing like a tentacle coming out of the eye to overcome minor squickiness. It wasn't prehensile, spotted, or covered with suckers but still...

[ October 01, 2004, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

margarita
Member # 6856

- posted      Profile for margarita   Email margarita         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing is more satisfying than ear drops when I have an itchy ear canal. Especially Debrox-types, which break up wax buildup. Though, a nurse once told me I could get the same effect with some hydrogen peroxide....

And then there was the third time my eardrum was ready to burst, except that we got to the doctor in time (hadn't the first two times) and she put these wonderful, wonderful drops in my ears that made them stop hurting. And then put me on antibiotics.

Unfortunately, that was not the last of my ear problems.

Posts: 54 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't stand ear drops. The actual dropping was a huge ordeal when I was a little kid (Mom would practically have to chase me around the house and hold me down to give me my drops). Sometimes it was refrigerated so it was a cold shock getting the drops, and for hours afterward I could *hear* them rolling around in my head. Uuurgh.

I have had many, many ear infections, but I have *never* had a tentacle in my eye. One more thing to add to the "thank God that didn't happen to me" list. [Angst]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

You're young yet. I can't remember if I was pregnant at the time. It may have been before that.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.