FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New to teaching: needing advice from older and wiser teachers

Author Topic: New to teaching: needing advice from older and wiser teachers
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
As some of you might know, I'm now a few weeks into my teacher training course. I'm training to teach Religious Education in secondary schools. Just for the record, RE in non-denominational state (public) schools in Britain is non-confessional (you get thrown out if you proselytise) and is aimed at encouraging students to learn about religions and learn from religions. I can provide more detail on the aims and nature of RE if you like, as I've just had countless lectures on the subject.

Anyway, I start my first teaching placement in two weeks' time and I am scared out of my little mind, so I was hoping to get some advice from older and wiser teachers. Here are my quandaries:

How do you create a classroom environment where students can be encouraged to share their experiences and opinions without fear, and to respect and listen to other people's opinions?

How do you get students to reflect on the learning process itself, if at all?

How do you differentiate work so that everyone is challenged, but also has targets that they can achieve?

What other advice can you offer a terrified beginning teacher?

Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
secondary level? So your students will be a mixture of 13 to 18 year olds or such?

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
How would you react if one of your students said they knew people could talk to God, having done it themselves, and another student replied that he did not believe the other speaker's experience was accurate?

Does the first statement count as "confession," and is it therefore not protected from the second speaker's criticism? Is the second speaker's criticism out of place at any time? And if both statements are out of line, how can you have an honest discussion in which people hope to "learn from" religions?

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How do you create a classroom environment where students can be encouraged to share their experiences and opinions without fear, and to respect and listen to other people's opinions?
Make them fear your wrath more than they fear the mockery of their peers? [Wink]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl - yes.
Tom - if students were to say this, I wouldn't see it as out of line. When I say that RE is non-confessional, what I mean is that it doesn't aim to nurture students into a particular faith, but to give them knowledge and understanding of a variety of faiths, as well as the ability to examine religions intelligently and formulate their own responses to fundamental questions. So this sort of exchange is gold dust to an RE teacher! The question is how you handle it sensitively so as not to attack either student. I guess I would ask both students to expand on their views and then lead from that into a discussion on religious experience, using evidence from the tradition we were studying at the time. I guess I would aim to make each student's position intelligible to the other one, even if they then agree to disagree.

Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you mind if a student (as in younger and not wiser) offers opinions?

11 to 16, won't it be, Amira? Are you teaching sixth form (is it even called that now? my information comes from my parents and is outdated)

All I know about RE is make it as interesting as you can. Which shouldn't be that hard, after all, as religion is fascinating. (I have no idea why everyone seems to complain about their RE classes- there is so much scope for discussion, especially in the older years).

I also suppose you have to draw a line between discussion and argument. Perhaps a "leave your judgement/anger/(another word I can't think of) at the door" policy would be useful- a written down rule of the codes of debate.

I have suddenly realised the scope for teaching RE! What a wide vista of teaching possibilities and approaches! I hope this turns into an excellent experience for you!

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a teacher but....

1. If you want them to feel like it's okay to share opinions, state that fact up front, first of all.

2. If someone gives an opinion that should be contraversial, ask if anyone has any different opinions on the matter.

3. Don't favor one opinion over another, if you're talking opinions.

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

Teshi, I might be teaching in an 11-16 school or in a school with a sixth form (17-18). The sixth form part is the least of my worries, to be honest - by then most students have learnt the rules for debate and have some basic interest in the subject if they've chosen to do it for A-level (you can only choose 4 subjects).
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"How do you create a classroom environment where students can be encouraged to share their experiences and opinions without fear, and to respect and listen to other people's opinions?"

I think the key to this is to make it a priority. When students are rude to each other in class, or laugh when someone makes a wrong answer, I stop everything and talk about it. One pet peeve I have is when kids raise their hand while someone else is answering. I have a hands-down policy, I guess.

Be explicit about your expectations. never assume that students know how to behave. Tell them exactly what to expect.

Try to name the behavior, not the student. "It is very hard for me to concentrate when you are clicking your pen." This is for when what you want to say is: "Click that pen one more time, and I will give you detention for life!!!"

Seriously, I find that "I talk" works very well. "When you do ______________, it makes me feel __________________. It seems very corny and unnatural for a while, but I find it is effective.

Humor. Use it as much as you can to diffuse a situation.

Basically, decide what you want, tell the students what you want, and don't say anything you cannot follow through on.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
by then most students have learnt the rules for debate and have some basic interest in the subject if they've chosen to do it for A-level
I realise that- I just wanted to clarify. [Smile]

quote:
Humor. Use it as much as you can to diffuse a situation.

I was going to suggest that you learn a fictional religion and use it as a trump card when the situation got messy.

[ September 30, 2004, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Also, someone who had taken OSC's writing class this summer said he made a comment that there would be "no goat" in his class. I cannot remember the name of the thread it was in.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

*bump*
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Switch to teaching something non-messy, like math. [Wink]

I think Elizabeth has made some excellent points.

I also think Tom has raised some good questions; I'm curious to see his follow-up to your replies.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

One of the things that I have found when teaching this age at church is opening myself up. When they see that I am willing to be honest with them and share my experiences they are more often likely to want to share as well. Also, I have found in my experience often no one wants to be the first one to make a comment. I will often instead of asking a "general" question, I'll say "Kari what do you think....." I try not to pick a student that I know will be mortified and try to pick a student that I know can handle that kind of being put on the spot. Very often this opens up the way for others to join in the conversation.

Just my .02

*all names have been changed to protect the innocent [Wink]

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Wendy,
I agree that it is a very delicate decision as to which student to call on. I often use popsicle sticks with kids' names on them. I always tell them they can choose someone to get help from, or pass their question on to another student. They know this ahead of time, so that they know they have an out, even if they are put on the spot.

Icarus
Member # 3162

Hehe. I have my TI-83 Plus hooked in to my TV screen. I generate a random numbers and call on a kid from the roster. Kids who have already answered a question can choose to answer again or "punt." Kids who don't have a clue I will basically carry through, leading them to the correct answer Socratically.

(Of course, this is different from an "issues" oriented class, where what you want is not a correct answer but discussion in general.)

A thought that pops in my mind regarding that is spending some time building community in the classroom before seriously beginning the study of religions, or at least before the sharing of personal opinions. Icebreaker games and stuff like that. Because in my experience, a lot of kids really like to discuss (heck, just like we do here!) and will do it, as long as they feel safe. So building that feeling of safety might need to come first.

Then again, it's quarter to two and I'm less than completely sober, so what do I know?

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I agree that building a sense of community is key to the success of any classroom. If a student feels that their thoughts are valued, not just by you, but by other students, they will share.

A book I recommend highly for new teachers, and one I broke out this year when I got my new position "in the mainstream," is "The First Days of School," by a man whose name I cannot bring myself to write here. It discusses the importance of having your "systems" in place when you start your year. I really love it as a resource for any teacher at any time.

http://www.harrywong.com/product/fds.htm

here are some excerpts:

http://www.iloveteaching.com/1stdays/

The most important thing to know about teaching is that there is no one right way to do it, and it will take time until you have your act together the way you really want it. I feel like a new teacher this year, and I LOVE it. I am learning so much, even after teaching for many years. I am always looking for new things to try. If you have a good, solid framework for your class, and students trust you and your expetations are clear, you can do whatever you want!
Just have fun.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

By the way, Icarus, I feel that you are teasing me with your TI-83 Plus. Unfair! I am so going to get one of those things.
Icarus
Member # 3162

You know, I don't know if people around here know me well enough to realize just how momentous this is coming from me, but I will second the hair--er, Harry Wong recommendation. It is the only book I have ever scene on general (non-subject specific) pedagogy that I ever thought was worth more than the paper it was printed on. Mostly good, uncommonly common-sense advice. I don't agree with him 100%, but I think his book is worth reading and thinking through for anyone, and invaluable for a beginning teacher.

And I normally think books on general pedagogy, like self-help books, are worthless.

Which reminds me, Elizabeth, I have a few book recommendations I think would greatly enhance your enjoyment of teaching math:

Teaching Secondary Mathematics through Applications

Mathematics Content for Elementary Teachers

Actually, I would highly recommend any book by Douglass Brumbaugh that you can find that seems relevant. I met him just two years ago, on the verge of his retirement (*sigh*) and yet I consider him to be a mentor to me. He is brilliant, a gifted teacher and an extremely knowledgable mathematician (I had never before met a professor of education who knew more about math than I), and taking a course from him two summers ago reenergized me to try harder to be the best teacher I can be--the teacher I wanted to be when I began. His book has been an invaluable resource for me for making my teaching interesting--more than that: for hooking the kids right from the get-go--and fun.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Thanks, Icarus. I will check those out.
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Icarus, I have this book on my shelf. I am going to go read it, and then get the ones you recommended.

Edit: Forgot to say the book.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbninquiry.asp?userid=tV427LqmpB&pwb=1&ean=9780787910587

[ October 02, 2004, 12:08 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I have just one more thing to say, generally, about teaching. You are never "there," because it is a dynamic process. The dominant culture changes, people move around, so you have to keep learning constantly to teach. If you can't learn as a teacher, you are not having any fun!
Trondheim
Member # 4990

- posted      Profile for Trondheim   Email Trondheim         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Elizabeth has given you some very good advice. And I believe Wendybird is right about opening yourself up. Talk about your own experiences, but be careful. It’s ok to be personal, but only to a certain degree. Don’t tell your students things you wouldn’t tell your boss or neighbour. They really don’t want to know [Smile]

How does a teaching placement in Britain work? Does it involve taking over an existing class for a few lessons or a few weeks? If so, don’t expect too much from yourself. You may not have time to get to know them properly, and knowing your students well is essential to achieving your goals. You will also be faced with an established classroom environment set by the students and their previous teacher, meaning you might have too little time to establish your own standard. If this turns out to be a problem, don’t make it out to be your fault. You may still be doing a very good job!

Posts: 99 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.