FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mitt Romney - Presidential Candidate in 2008?

Author Topic: Mitt Romney - Presidential Candidate in 2008?
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been hearing "rumblings" that he may have aspirations to run for President. Now I don't know him more than who he is and the Olympic thing.

But if he ran for President, what would be the general feeling amongst Hatrackers towards him (I think he would be a very, very long shot due to being a Mormon).

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
He is a jackass...and he would have even less of a chance than Kennedy would at this point.

He has seriously cut all aid to local towns and cities, to the point that some of them don't even have trash pickup anymore...or at least there was an interuption in the services....he has reniged on an agreement with the local teachers unions....

I don't know one person here in MA who likes him, or thinks he is doing a good job.

Hell, half the cities and towns here have sued him already!

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steev
Member # 6805

- posted      Profile for Steev           Edit/Delete Post 
How in the hell did he get voted as govener in the first place?
Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

Hmmm, and Kerry is a Jackass from Massachusettes as well....and so is Kennedy (the current killing by driving intoxicated one)

What the hell is going on up there? [Wink]

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Kwea: I don't know one person here in MA who likes him, or thinks he is doing a good job.

Whereas I know plenty who do. Personally, I have no opinion.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. I've heard that Maryland's governor (Bob Ehrlich) and Flordia's governor (Jeb Bush) might go for a run in 2008, as well...

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Kwea, the folks I know don't even mention him. Ever. I didn't even realize that until this moment.

Kerry is no great shakes, either, just a name on a ballot for a Dead Dog Democrat like myself to vote for.

Funny, the only time in my life I have ever voted Republican was for Bill Weld for governor. He was running against a real loser, John Silber. Silber's view of deaf education: "Let's get some hearing aids on those kids and put them in the classroom." I was working with deaf students at the time, whose hearing no aid would ever restore.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
JTK,
I just heard this morning on NPR that Jeb Bush gets very nervous when he discusses national issues. Maybe he just wants to stay governor.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
After 10 minutes of trying to post, the only thing I can say, without getting myself in a lot of trouble, is that Romney is quite possibly the worst governor of any state, ever.
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Why?
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

quote:
"Let's get some hearing aids on those kids and put them in the classroom." I was working with deaf students at the time, whose hearing no aid would ever restore.
I know it's horrible, but I couldn't stop from laughing at that post....I'm sorry. I'm bad.
[Evil Laugh]

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Be grateful you aren't saddled with politicos like Marion Barry.

How in the world he got the nomination for DC City Counsel, I don't think I'll ever be able to figure out.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not a big fan of Romney either. But I have really personal reasons for this. The grad students negotiated a cost of living raise with the university and he line item vetoed it. This obviously directly affects my life. But it sets an annoying precedent. If you go though a bargining process and give up certain things, like free child daycare, to get something that you want. Then if your gain is taken away shouldn't what you gave up not be taken away too? The whole thing seemed pretty underhanded and sneaky to me.

[ October 06, 2004, 09:12 AM: Message edited by: sarahdipity ]

Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
That is the best of it even...he did that to a lot of people, and he also tried to have a few other collective bargining agreements negated as well.

Romney is more than a jackass.....and Kerry is a far better rep the Romney could ever be.

He got elected because no one had seen him for years...he was in SLC for the Olympics.

Jenni knew him, and hated him....and we both knew MA was in trouble when he got elected.

Which is part of why we are moving, to be honest.

Of course, in FL we have to deal with someone who is not only a jackass, but a jackass who stole an election for his dumbass brother.... [Big Grin]

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Hillary Clinton is expected to run for President in 2008 ...
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
From what I hear, my five-years-dead dog is also running for President in 2008. [Smile]

[ October 07, 2004, 12:59 AM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.