FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Jack Chick - The Movie

Author Topic: Jack Chick - The Movie
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not kidding.

And here's an especially delightful clip.

quote:
In a day when many Christians are producing watered-down, politically-correct films, The Light of the World provides exactly what you would expect from Jack Chick

[ October 05, 2004, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
A heaping pile of manure?

Cause that is what I tend to expect from him... [Big Grin]

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
This took years to produce? I hope someone at least went out for Chinese or something, I mean it would be a shame to see so much time wasted.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pepek
Member # 3773

- posted      Profile for Pepek   Email Pepek         Edit/Delete Post 
See.. I'm Jack Dude.

Someone give me money to make a /good/ movie.

-Jack Montague

Posts: 690 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You can almost feel the crackling flames of hell as you watch!
[ROFL]

[ October 05, 2004, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: Eaquae Legit ]

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steev
Member # 6805

- posted      Profile for Steev           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! [Angst] I don't know about anyone else but I was a bit creeped out by those video clips. Very creepy! If I were looking for a religion to live by that would completely turn me off of the idea completely.
Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Many who have seen advanced screenings of this film have been moved to tears.
Well, I know the thought of it makes me want to cry.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Light of the World... LOTW... Lord of the Wankers?
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm gonna quote Scott R in the other thread and say that Jack Chick makes me feel debased.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Buddha is dead.
[Cry]
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Garrison Keillor(paraphrased):

"When I was a child at the state fair, I would lie under a tree and look up through the leaves at the clouds and imagine I was in Heaven. I heard the screams of the people on the rides, and I imagined they were in Hell.

That was the life of a Fundamentalist Christian child in Minnesota."

(sorry, that is what I remember from the show)

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I had no idea sumo wrestlers were going to hell. Good to know.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, duh. I mean, they're Asian.

[Roll Eyes]

-o-

Tell you what, this is going to be a LOT harder to parody . . .

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I was getting some really mixed messages. I mean, in one frame, we see Jesus under a rainbow with his arms outstretched. Next we see a chinese dragon in rainbow colors in the very bowels of hell.

Oh, and Satan holding a miniature Washington Monument disturbed me greatly. [Angst]

[ October 05, 2004, 11:06 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Millions are addicted to television, which makes this a great way to reach them. Invite unsaved family, friends, neighbors, etc. to watch the film in your home. Or loan it to them to watch at their convenience. Either way, they will receive the gospel in a way they will never forget. You may also want to show it when you have lost people in a Sunday School class, youth group, adult group, home Bible study or cell group.
Thank heaven the heathens are at least addicted to television.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Do the first and third screencaps remind anybody else of Star Wars?

[ October 06, 2004, 02:27 AM: Message edited by: Da_Goat ]

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tell you what, this is going to be a LOT harder to parody . . .
Icarus, I assume you mean as a technical challenge?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Seeing films like Chick's helps me understand why some people are so antagonistic against fundamental Christians.

I'm angered and saddened at the twisting of Christ's gospel by Chick.

And by the cheesy pictures of Satan.

I mean, he's the lord of all evil-- and he's not bald!

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
Right, Scott...I mean, from the reaction the guy gets from women, I figure Satan chooses to look like John Edwards. No offense, Edwards.

And when he wants to appear to men as a woman, Elizabeth Hurley's not a bad choice...

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess unbelievable is not the word. I believe it. I can just see inviting all my non-Christian freinds over..."Here's some great dogma I want to shove down your throat, please bring a covered dish".
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

But see, dogma is entertaining.

Chick just. . . isn't.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I mean, he's the lord of all evil-- and he's not bald!
For a moment I thought I was in the VP Debate thread.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
The pictures are pretty [Smile] . Though it's a shame much of it's panning across larger drawings.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Alas, he's not THAT evil.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Manwe...
lol!

This is the dumbest thing I've seen in a while. [Wink]

I like how it bashes the Catholic church, the parent religion to whatever these people believe. I thought the Protestant misunderstanding of the veneration of the Saints and Mother Mary was long over? Ah well.. [Wink]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
My next-door-neighbor Baptists took Mark out to eat and to church with them last Sunday, as a thank you for helping them move back in. Mark was all, "I think I want to be a Buddhist. Well, at least I know I don't want to be a Baptist."

But anyway, Taler gave me a tract to give to Mister Ron to read, but since it WASN'T a Chick Tract, I thought it was very sweet. I mean, it would have been sweet that she cares, even if she'd given us a Chick Tract, but it would have been creepier than it was sweet.

Seriously, if I found out they did have Chick Tracts lying around their house, I probably wouldn't let the boys go play there. Maybe that would be overreacting.

Though they did tell Taler she couldn't watch videos at our house without them being cleared through the parents first. I'm okay with that, but I thought it was funny that they made that rule in response to finding out that we had rented a PeeWee's Playhouse video. I mean, Paul Reubens' life and the show don't seem all that connected, to me. But whatever. I never tried to show her kids The Simpsons, or Pokemon, or Harry Potter, because I knew better, and I respect their right to shelter their kids however they want to. I guess my line of 'sheltering my kids' is a fairly loose one, since it allows Futurama and MST3K. But anything Jack Chick is over that line for me.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I thought the Protestant misunderstanding of the veneration of the Saints and Mother Mary was long over?
Alas, no. What's even sadder is when it's used simply as an off-hand way to attack Catholics as "Mary worshippers" with no understanding of the reasons many Protestants dislike it.

It's like being dumb twice over.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. I confiscated a Chick tract at a local pizza place.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Confiscated? People aren't allowed to have those in your community? [Confused]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

As long as I don't have to see them. [Razz]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Heh. I confiscated a Chick tract at a local pizza place.
Did you burn it?
Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously -- what do you mean when you say you confiscated it?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

I took it to show some people who thought they didn't exist (that chick.com was a satire site or something).

Then I disposed of it where no innocents would see it.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I had next-door neighbors who used to hand them out on Halloween. [Angst] A favorite of theirs was the one about how people who dress up for Halloween are going to Hell. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
I had never heard of this guy before...I guess he has his beliefs and must really be dedicated to them to go through all that trouble.

It reminds me of another group of "Christians" that go to every "Shriner" or "Masonic" parade or public get together and yell how they are going to burn in hell.

I saw a website of theirs one time. It was rather comical as well.

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I find it amazingly sad that Jack seems to actually believe the diatribe he's spreading.

very sad indeed. [Frown]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, it seems that Mr. Chick believes in a complete literal interpretation of the Bible, which is fine.

But it appears his "prosyliting" technique is to try and "scare" you into believing, which is again one way to do it.

But there are many ways to help people or allow people to accept your help.

Scare tactics are not the most efficient (if the prophets in the Bible have taught us anything, it's that scare tactics don't work).

I found his painting of "false" teachings/religions and the Devil to have some hidden male homoeroticism.

The whole thing looks like a parade of male anatomy embracing.

I wonder if he knew that before he painted it?

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
OH MAN
I came in here looking for a neat new movie coming out.

Taal I thought it was a new request for us to watch this new movie! *Lost recommendation was fantastic by the way.*

I actually was given one of those chick tract pamphlets as I went to or from elementry school. It bugged me enough as a little kid to want to rip it up and throw it away. hmm

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
C--worse than trying to scare us into believe, he tries to trick us, with half truths, misquotes, and bad information.

Those are not the methods of heaven, but that of sinners. To sin for "a good cause" is still to sin.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ok, it seems that Mr. Chick believes in a complete literal interpretation of the Bible, which is fine.
Only if it's the King James Version. All other are 'perversions' - even the greek and Hebrew! Check out this quote from a book on his site:

quote:
Question: Is there an edition of the Textus Receptus in Greek that you can recommend - and equally an edition of the Hebrew - for those studying the languages as they are used in the Bible? I appreciate that eventually Bible scholars need to study the various manuscripts that comprise the Textus Receptus and the various Hebrew manuscripts as well, but a single edition seems a sensible starting point for learning.

Answer: I have a very simple suggestion. Grab an interlinear King James New Testament (or Old Testament or single-volume Greek/Hebrew Bible) and correct it anywhere the translation disagrees with the King James. I am not kidding.

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
What religion does Jack Chick belong too? Is he just an independent Christian? I'm sure he could make a lot of money selling set ideas for Manson's music videos.
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mazer
Member # 192

- posted      Profile for Mazer   Email Mazer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I had next-door neighbors who used to hand them out on Halloween.
My parents made ME hand out Chick tracts for Halloween. [Frown] When I was 6.
I actually like Chick tracts, and whenever I get deployed to Korea or Thailand or something I try to grab some of the foreign ones. Some of the older ones have absolutely hilarious drawings of "sinners" and "demons." It's funny because the artwork is similar to the 70's "druggie" artwork of Abbie Hoffman's Steal This Book. (Don't even get me started on the contradiction of my parents simultaneously owning subversive literature and Chick tracts.)

[ October 07, 2004, 06:28 AM: Message edited by: Mazer ]

Posts: 186 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
I think my mother probably had some Chick Tracts, and even handed them out. She was a Baptist, too, at least for a while. She taught Sunday school and stuff. everybody loved her until my parents divorced.

After that, this one remarkably ugly woman made such a stink about having a divorcee teach Sunday school that mom left to find a church that would allow her to be active. The pastor didn't want her to leave.

Anyway, the churches we went to after that didn't touch Chick Tracts. I think they may have been mentioned in one or two of them. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.