FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » V.P. Debate (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: V.P. Debate
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, I'm excited about this one. Starts in 90 minutes, right? The trial lawyer vs the elderly pit bull. This may be the one to watch. Anybody else going to see this one, or are you just waiting for the Bush-Kerry debates?
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Last time around, the VP debate was much better than anything the Presidential candidates ever did.

Lieberman was great, and Cheney was so good that he actually had me thinking he would be a better candidate for Pres than Bush was. Of course, I know better now.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
um, PLAYOFFS.

[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang, I've got to do some yard work so at best I will only be able to listen to it.

I think it would be great if the V.P. started out:

"Your Honor, the Prosecution has put forth its......"

It would be a good bit o' humor.

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
This should be entertaining, if nothing else. [Big Grin] WTOP said this morning that Edwards' trail lawyer experience is part of the reason that the Bush campaign would not agree to a town hall-style debate--very very wise move.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
What time, EST, does it start?
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
It starts at 9:00 est. In other words, it starts in 30 minutes.

[ October 05, 2004, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: vwiggin ]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Ah, thank you very much vwiggin. I was having much trouble with the times BBC was giving because I forgot that GMT is skewed from the five hour time difference I usually add on for british time.

[Smile]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

Wow. Finally a good two-sided debate. I'm much more impressed than I was last thursday.
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
It's interesting to watch. Edwards charming nature and speaking ability makes him tough, while Cheney's experience and speaking ability make him tough as well. Fun to watch, much better than Bush vs Kerry.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
*nod* I just checked in during the commercial. They both speak better than their respective presidential candidates. Of course, with Edwards I get the sense that it's style more than substance. He knows what the party line is and how to put it well. Cheney, on the other hand, sounds good but didn't answer the questions put to him while I was watching. He basically talks gibberish well--and redirects things well to typical republican party lines and scare tactics about democrats weakening us militarily.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting perspective on El Salvador vs. Afghanistan, whether it's accurate or not...
Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
sigh... Wish this were a PresidentialDebate.
Both VicePresidential candidates seem more on top of the issues than either of the Presidential candidates.

[ October 05, 2004, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

...and the barbs start flying. These dudes are tough.
Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
"You probably weren't around for that, but..."
[Angst] That was harsh.
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
true, so far they are both doing better than Bush/Kerry

Right now I feel that Cheney has the edge, but it is still very early

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

I like how Cheney stops when he's done, often before the red light even comes on. Bush should take notes.
Speed
Member # 5162

Aaaand... Haliburton rears its head. Cheney dodges. Although I don't know that he should have gone into that tangent in a 30 second rebuttal.
prolixshore
Member # 4496

They should both be allowed to pinch-debate for Kerry/Bush.

--APostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Cheney is doing well, but it seems as if he, like Bush, has a limited repetoire of lines to say when any specific issue comes up.

I'm much more prepared with the Kerry/Edwards team's preparation.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Heck, they should be allowed to pinch-GOVERN. Of course, you can argue that Cheney already does. [Smile]

Seriously, I've been saying for over a year that, once Kucinich was out of the serious running (i.e. almost immediately), Edwards was the best candidate the Dems could put forward. He's pretty much everything that Kerry isn't, which is why I'm still so baffled by Kerry's nomination.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

I'm not really impressed with edwards preperation. He is getting tossed around by the heavyweight cheney.

I'm not just saying that because I am a Republican either, I will readily admit that Kerry kicked w's butt in the first debate.

[Cool]

--ApostleRadio

sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been watching - well, I'm listening now, since the TV's in the other room. But it does seem that Cheney is giving the stronger performance, but it's not going to be a slam-dunk, like the first debate with Bush and Kerry.

Frankly, so far it's what I expected - I felt that this would be a debate that wouldn't be characterized by uneven performances.

Cheney's tough and he has his s__t together.

Part of me wonders if it's helpful in the end that Cheney comes across as so much more competent than his boss.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Cheney is being very condescending.
Speed
Member # 5162

oooh, these guys are pulling no punches.
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think either of them are doing fabulously well. I am disappointed in Edwards. Super-good-lawyer-man fell off.

They both keep interrupting the moderator.

I am cross.

(I wish they'd quit doing personal attack things.)

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, I think the two of them really don't happen to like each other much. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

Debating the moderator?
Teshi
Member # 5024

"Your record STINKS!"

"Speak for YOURSELF!"

*blows raspberries*

vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Cheney is *this close* to bitch slapping Edwards. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
What Teshi said after the mini "record debate."
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

maybe they should be sitting farther apart from each other. [Big Grin]
sndrake
Member # 4941

*am looking forward to seeing what Saturday Night Live does with this debate*

They did a great job with the first debate last Saturday night.

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

You're right. That was by far the best sketch of the night.
Speed
Member # 5162

Why doesn't the moderator smack these guys down for answering different questions than were asked?

I love the fact that Cheney is going against Bush on the gay marriage thing. If he were president, I might be voting for them.

Oh, and Cheney stopped before the green light even came on that time because he was done with his statement. You can do it, George.

[ October 05, 2004, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: Speed ]

Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooo, look at them go.

Cheney is such a _slime_.

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

I really think Cheney's winning here. Anyone disagree?
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep [Smile] .
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

(from memory)

Kerry: When I said I was against the war, I was talking to antiwar crowds. When I said I supported the war I was talking to audiences that were in favor of it. That's not flip-flopping. It's pandering. And I think Americans should know the difference.

The Washington Post helped me get this excerpt on Bush:

quote:
"Saturday Night Live," which gave Al Gore a world of hurt in 2000 by lampooning his sighs during a debate, opened its new season with a skit in which a Bush impersonator lamented: "Frankly, I don't know why my opponent wants this job, because it's hard!"

"So your plan is to crush terrorism by coming in on Saturdays?" asked the character playing moderator Jim Lehrer.

The Bush character replied, with reluctance: "If that's what it takes."

TomDavidson
Member # 124

"I really think Cheney's winning here."

This is a tough call, because both candidates really appear to be speaking to issues -- and, consequently, whichever argument you're predisposed to find more compelling is likely to seem like the "winner." I think we need to locate an undecided voter and ask him. [Smile]

sndrake
Member # 4941

I gotta agree with the people handing this to Cheney. Since I initially posted, he's kept up the heat. He's relentless. He's pretty unflappable.

Confirms my belief that Cheney's the one that's really in charge. [Wink]

Edit to add: I guess in terms of "winning," I'm really thinking of that group of undecided voters and trying to put myself in that very strange world they live in. ( [Wink] ) I think for people still making up their minds Cheney had the edge - and face it, those are the people who count the most.

[ October 05, 2004, 10:13 PM: Message edited by: sndrake ]

kerinin
Member # 4860

- posted      Profile for kerinin           Edit/Delete Post 
cheney was doing really well in the beginning, but he's not doing quite as well now that they're talking about domestic stuff.

he's a good debater in any case

Posts: 380 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

I don't think it's a slam-dunk like I saw in the other direction last week. Edwards is doing a very good job, but I really feel like Cheney is staying a step ahead of him. Maybe I'll be able to be more precise about this in 20 minutes when I'm not dividing my attention.
fugu13
Member # 2859

I find it amusing the best Cheney could come up to attack Edwards's record with was lack of elected political experience (which everyone should know from the Bush campaign in the 2000 race doesn't really matter [Wink] ) and absences during an election year (which is typical for every congressperon facing a contest).

Edwards's attacks on Cheney's record, on the other hand, reflected substantial problems.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not undecided, but I support Kerry very reluctantly...I disagree with a lot of his policies but he's unfortunately right about the war. It looks to me like the debate is a draw...both candidates are doing a good job, though each shows weakness from time to time. Edwards has a problem with using up all his time, but at least he does it by having something substantial to say. Cheney looks good by being succinct, but sometimes it's because he doesn't seem to have much to say.

Both of them keep looking exasperated and contemptuous...if only one of them were doing it that would look bad, but since they both are......

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

You know, I think a joint debate (Presidential and Vice Presidential candidates) would be very telling. I think it would reveal some important dynamics.
Speed
Member # 5162

Way to go, moderator.

"Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to say John Kerry. "Him", does that make you happy? John Kerry. John Kerry. sorry."

Teshi
Member # 5024

I agree fugu13. I thinking that would not only be interesting and informative, it would also be highly amusing.
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
Edwards seems to be outplaying Cheney a bit, but overall this debate is pretty bad. Both candidates are ignoring the questions and focusing on twisting their opponents' record around. Both are basically misusing facts to the point where it's hard to say what's what.

The presidential debate last week was much more revealing about actual position differences.

Incidently, what's with these questiosn? Is the moderator trying to incite attacks? Asking TWO questions trying to get Cheney to call "part of the problem" (or to get Edwards to accuse Cheney of saying that)?

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

If Cheney has a problem, it's that he keeps putting his hands on his face and looking down while he speaks. His main problem is that people don't consider him as forthright and scrupulous as Edwards, and his body language doesn't help with that.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.