FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mafia on Blogs

Author Topic: Mafia on Blogs
HRE
Member # 6263

- posted      Profile for HRE   Email HRE         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to adapt a version of Mafia for weblogs that will be mostly played by people who ahve never heard of the game before. How does this explanation strike you?

quote:
Mafia has advanced from a common party game to take on a completely new form in online forums across the net. Now, I would like to move it to Xanga.

The game consists of five types of players. The basic roles follow. While it may be slightly confusing, it will all make sense by the end of this post.

The Townspeople
The Doctor - Names one person to be saved each night.
The Sheriff - Requests the identification of one person each night.
Serial Killer - Rambo. Picks one person to die each night.
Assorted Townspeople - Try to eliminate the Mafia before the Mafia (or the SK) eliminates them.

The Mafia
The Mafia makes up about 1/5 to 1/4 of the players in the game.
The Godfather - CEO of the Mafia. He is the direct liason between the Mafia and the narrator (the director of the game). Also, it is his job to make the final call as to who is to be killed.
Assorted Mafia - Kill all the townspeople before they are all lynched or killed by the SK.

Gameplay
The game begins when all players who wish to partake in the game post a small bio about the character they wish to assume in the game. This is a short description of the character; it may include age, sex, job, family, hobbies, etc. To keep it simple, we will use your Xanga username as your name.

When all profiles are in, the Narrator sends a private e-mail to each character with their assigned roles. The only people who know anyone else's role is the Mafia. They know all the other Mafia, and assume direct e-mail (or AIM) contact with the Godfather.

When the roles are assigned, gametime enters "night". At this time, a couple things happen.
  • The Doctor contacts the Narrator and tells him the person he will choose to save that night. This means that if either the Mafia or the SK pick the same person to kill as the Doc picked to save, the kill will fail and the person will live. The Doc can also choose to save himself.
  • The Godfather, having conferred with his Mafia brethren, contacts the Narrator with his kill choice.
  • The Sheriff contacts the Narrator and asks for and ID of any player in the game. The Narrator then tells what role that character is playing.
  • The Serial Killer contacts the Narrator with the person he will kill.
In total, this period is known as "SKIDS" (Saves, Kills, IDs, Serial)
When the "night" is over, the Narrator makes an entry informing the town of who died (or did not die, if the Doctor did his job) overnight.

Everyone then decides who should be lynched by the angry mob of townspeople. This is done by leaving comments with the person you are accusing in bold, and the reasons afterwards. The kills will all contain clues pertaining to the Serial Killer and a Mafia member's profile. Note that all players will be included in this debate, so the Mafia can throw the blame on someone else. After a set time period, all the votes will be counted up and the person with the most votes will be brutally sluaghtered by the townsfolk. Night falls again.

The game ends when only one group of people is left alive. This is either the SK, the Mafia, or the innocent townspeople.

Some Special Cases
If the Godfather is killed (either by the SK, the townspeople, or even the Mafia (if they decide he needs to be killed for the greater good)), the remaining Mafia members must choose a new Godfather and inform the Narrator before the next SKIDS are due in.

When you die, you are dead. You are a ghost and you may speak to no one about any matters concerning the game immedietaly. You can make fluff comments, sure, but you can't try to sway the debate. Nor, if you were the Sheriff, can you tell anyone of your IDs after you are killed. That just isn't fair.

If the Sheriff tries to ID the Godfather, he will show up as a townsperson.

If you want to change your vote for the lynching before the deadline, write "change" in bold, followed by the person you are changing from to the one you are changing to. Like this:

CHANGE from XXX to YYY.

Nights and Day are not realtime. Depending on work constraints, night can be up to two or three real-time days, and day can be the same. Or any combination.

How does that look? Did I cover everything?
Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks kind of interesting. I don't know if Blogs are the way to go thoguh. Wouldn't it get a little complicated if the town became "over populated".
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HRE
Member # 6263

Do you think this would work on blogs if I can control the comments?
Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I read this thread title and thought that there was actually a blog for real life mafiosi. And that made me laugh, in an uncomfortable, disturbed sort of way.

[ October 09, 2004, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: Elizabeth ]

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HRE
Member # 6263

Unfortunately, no. But I would definitely bookmark that blog...
HRE
Member # 6263

Ok, if that is a good description...anyone who wants to play, please go sign-up on my Xanga, Lot49. If you don't have a Xanga, get one. They are free, and you never actually have to use it. You can just use your name to comment.

Now, for a theme...I was considering Pleasantville (like the film). Or perhaps Classic SciFi (Frankenstein, Dracula, Igor...the works). Any thoughts?

[ October 09, 2004, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: HRE ]

HonoreDB
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for HonoreDB   Email HonoreDB         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks cool! Blogs are a natural for Mafia. And yeah, both possible interpretations went through my mind when I saw the thread title.

You might want to specify right away that the mafia can only target one person per night, since you do so for the serial killer.

Posts: 535 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HRE
Member # 6263

Well, we have twenty people signed up to play already. The scenario is a White House lockdown, and the first "night" starts tomorrow evening.

At this point, I am ready to pledge to never be the narrator again. Ever.

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if "five types of players" is the way to beging the description. Of course, if you wanted to see exactly how I describe mafia to newbies, you could try www.galacticcactus.com, in the forum, in the mafia section. I'm too lazy to get the actual URL for you. But I have found the incarnations of rules I have seen in the past to be confusing.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
::wipes a tear::

It just warms my heart to know you are using the term SKIDS. Go forth, and spread my term.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.