FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hope (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hope
All4Nothing
Member # 11601

- posted      Profile for All4Nothing   Email All4Nothing         Edit/Delete Post 
Hope, deceitful as it is, serves at least to lead us to the end of our lives by an agreeable route. ~François Duc de La Rochefoucauld

Hope is the only universal liar who never loses his reputation for veracity. ~Robert G. Ingersoll

The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination. ~Marian Zimmer Bradley

The sudden disappointment of a hope leaves a scar which the ultimate fulfillment of that hope never entirely removes. ~Thomas Hardy

When you say a situation or a person is hopeless, you're slamming the door in the face of God. ~Charles L. Allen

Posts: 115 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Hope is eternal, sublime, supernal.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to revive this thread in honor of Vaclav Havel.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Georgeous!

Gorgeous!

Gorgeous as a Small beach
Gorgeous as a small beach of light on an everyday object

Gorgeous Gorgeous Gorgeous hope,
The hope that sneaks past disasters

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Orincoro.

I presume, from the context, this is a poem by Havel. Whether I'm right or wrong, can you tell me the source?

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Orincoro, I'm still waiting for an answer.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't see your question here the first time around. The poem is by a French language Belgian poet named Henri Michaux.

The problem is, this is a quotation from memory, of a translation done by one of my teachers. I have tried to find the original and have been unsuccessful.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
This one, I think:

Beau comme une grande plage
Beau l'espoir
Beau comme une petite plage
Beau comme une petite plage de lumiere sur un objet usuel, laquelle
petite plage doucement vous defonce le coeuer, d'on ne sait quoi de vague,
mais en somme de satisfaisant
Ainsi l'espoir
l'espoir de l'homme tenace
l'espoir a travers cataclysmes qui se faufile

(Found by searching for Michaux's name along with the french word for "hope")

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Thanks scifi. I tried the same search but failed to find the poem. Likely due to my extremely limited French.

Actually, I've learned all my French by bicycle touring in France so I'm surprised to find I can actually read that entire poem.

I have to say I prefer Orincoro's version, but I might feel differently if I had enough command of the French to appreciate the nuances of the language.

Mr. Y
Member # 11590

- posted      Profile for Mr. Y   Email Mr. Y         Edit/Delete Post 
Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existence. - Lin Yutang

Hope is patience with the lamp lit. - Tertullian

Posts: 1100 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

- posted      Profile for Szymon   Email Szymon         Edit/Delete Post 
lasciate ogni speranza voi ch'entrate!
Posts: 723 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.