FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » An Analogy (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: An Analogy
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Stroman should have checked to make sure that the medical degrees his doctors have weren't given by Lenny's Bait Shop and Surgery School or Oncologists R Us.

Or perhaps his analogy would be more fitting if the he had gone around town to everyone and said "Hey the doctors say I have cancer and this is a really contagious form of cancer. If we all don't get me some surgery fast, we're all gonna die from it."

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
If you shoot a kid for claiming he has a gun behind is back, and he does not, then you go to jail. Does anyone doubt that?
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In the case of Iraq, both of these are true.
Wrong, they are both false. If you'd had cancer before, and had a tumor. It gets removed. My grandmother just had a biopsy done on a NON-Cancerous tumor, and it was removed.
She's never had cancer by the way.

If you have a way to remove it, then you do it.

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

If you have something that is possibly a cancer in the middle of your brain, you don't have it removed unless you are certain it will be a severe danger. That is because the brain is sensitive enough that the surgery can be as deadly as the cancer, and you don't want to take risks like that unless you are sure you need to.
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

quote:
If you shoot a kid for claiming he has a gun behind is back, and he does not, then you go to jail. Does anyone doubt that?
Absolutely yes.

It's the same as putting your finger in your coat and pretending you have a gun.

Or pointing a lazer tag pistol at an officer.

Or yelling "FIRE" in theater.

Or yelling "I have a bomb and I'm going to blow up this plane" on an airplane.

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

Sadaam wasn't in the "Middle of our brain" he was very removable (and was). His removal has been an "Operational Success" to this day.
CStroman
Member # 6872

Also, operations "hurt". My grandmother is still very sore from having her tumor removed.

The operation is not deemed a failure if there is pain involved. That is part of the procedure. The willingness to suffer a little pain now so you don't have to suffer the cancer later.

You prefer the cancer later I see.

skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But if his aim isn't bad then everyone beats you up for not doing anything
Yep, like Clinton got beat up for not taking out Osama when he supposedly had the chance.

If you've got a gun, and you hope to play the good guy, you can't win. You either shoot too soon or not soon enough.

Better to play the bad guy, walk into class unannounced and shoot all your enemies without saying a word. (everybody knows the bad guy always gets the girl)

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yes. American Army did put on fire a very sensitive part of the WORLD, it is anything but a success, and you still feel like you WON ?
Now I'M hysterical about what YOU trust.

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Before I get eaten by anti-war people, my goal in re-stating a second analogy was not to show that Bush should have or should not have gone to war, only that you cannot tell for sure in a situation like that, except by relying on (as it turns out) incorrect intelligence.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

quote:
Sadaam wasn't in the "Middle of our brain" he was very removable (and was).
Not without some terrible side effects, including:
-Creating a new terrorist haven in Iraq
-Inciting terrorists against us around the world
-Creating anarachy, death, and destruction in Iraq, not to mention the possibility that an even worse government might take power there now
-Costing us $200 billion that we cannot pay back without deficit spending
-Dissolving the credibility of the U.S. around the world
-Overextending our military to the point where we can't handle other more dangerous "diseases"

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
$120 billion. Kerry's the one throwing around the $200 amount.

Don't want Bush lying and letting it go unchallenged, can't let Kerry do it either.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

So you want the terrorist to hide out in countries where we can't get to them instead of Iraq where we can?

Inciting people who already hate us and want to kill us to hate us more and want to kill us more?

Well, you could appease them by becomming muslim because that is the only solution they will accept. Doing something that pisses those types of people off is a GOOD thing.
Doing what they want you to do is a bad thing. We call it "negotiating with terrorists".

quote:
-Creating anarachy, death, and destruction in Iraq, not to mention the possibility that an even worse government might take power there now

There is no anarchy in Iraq. There is the governing council and US Coalition and Iraqi forces who are enforcing the law at their behest. Anywhere lawlessness breaks out, it is opposed and repressed.

You need to seriously read up on the Samarra offensive to see how much progress is really being made.

You statement is a lie.

Death by terrorist car bombings are THEIR responsibility. We did not force them to blow up other Iraqi's. They chose to do it. They are responsible for THEIR actions. True there have been MINIMAL deaths in Iraq of civillians and soldiers for a 2 year long war. It would be less had terrorists not continued to kill randomly.

As for destruction, you are completely ignoring the rebuilding of Iraq which is FACTUALLY going forward at an unprecedented rate. That is a FACT which you ignore, but a FACT none the less.

quote:
-Costing us $200 billion that we cannot pay back without deficit spending
That is also a LIE. John Kerry lied about that. It is a FACT that it cost approximately 130Billion so far. Absolute fact. Look it up on Factcheck.org, but I have a feeling you don't care about the facts at all.

quote:
-Dissolving the credibility of the U.S. around the world

It was already in peril due to "I did not have sexual relations with that woman" Clinton. He lied.
And if what other countries think of us is a main concern to you, then maybe you should do what they want you to so they will like you. Kerry seems to be willing to do what they want so they like us. Those aren't friends I want to have.

quote:
-Overextending our military to the point where we can't handle other more dangerous "diseases"
And Kerry claims we didn't send in enough troops. Make up your mind. More US troops or Less?

BTW, isn't it the "all powerful UN" that is supposed to be "handling" those other diseases, or are you saying we should ignore the UN in Iran and S.K. and "go it alone" there but not in "Iraq"?

Make up your mind. UN or NO-UN?

Your flip flopping faster than Kerry.

And your arguments are false.

Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, you can actually see froth... [Laugh]
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How can you call him on his post to aspectre and not call aspectre's post to him?
Honestly? Becuase Stroman is LDS and conservative, and so am I. I'm obviously not doing it for political reasons. I expect those who agree with aspectre politically to call him on his rudeness.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
No, $200 billion in what Tres was talking about. We are going to spend at least $200 billion there, that further $80 billion has been set aside for this purpose and is well on course to being spent.

We just haven't spent it yet.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

Sorry, didn't mean to be abrasive. I literally found his comments humorous. I would have totally expected them to be "sarcasm", then when it was apparent that he was serious in believing those things, it became even funnier.

Sorry, I shouldn't have laughed out loud about it. I'm sorry. You have a right to believe what you want to and post it, as do I.

I'm seriously not "frothing" over anything and have been calm on every post. They may not read like that, but they really are just statements refuting fraudulous claims.

Anyways, sorry I laughed and poked fun. I realize that it's ok to do if you're a liberal, but not republican, since we're supposed to know better. I will try harder.

[Big Grin]

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, Hatrack is so much more fun if you save the ********* moments for the times of maximum impact.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

$200B going to be spent and $200B already gone are two completely different things. Kerry and Edwards claimed it was already spent.

They just didn't realize they were wrong and recycled the media innaccuracy. But hey, when your current events staff is the news media, I expect nothing more really.

Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
See, Chad, even when you're ostensibly apologizing, you still say things that come off as smug.

quote:
I realize that it's ok to do if you're a liberal, but not republican, since we're supposed to know better.
Instead of pretending to be conciliatory, try actually BEING conciliatory.

[ October 12, 2004, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: Megan ]

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
But Xaposert's points are what we're talking about, not Kerry/Edwards, and he's quite right as to the $200 billion being a cost. Costs exist before they're paid.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.