FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » NBA Basketball fans.

Author Topic: NBA Basketball fans.
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to "kinda" get into the NBA seasons during the 80's and 90's for the teams because there were names associated with each team which were more or less constant.

The last few years have seen Hyper Trading amongst teams and I just can't bring myself to become attached to one particular NBA team because they are too fluid when it comes to personell.

Are the days of each team with their somewhat constant superstars over?

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.
Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anti-Chris
Member # 4452

- posted      Profile for Anti-Chris           Edit/Delete Post 
Not really. Uh... maybe. Uh... Go Jazz!
Posts: 530 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
With the exception to the Rule being, Tim Duncan, who is the exception to every modern NBA rule.

Basketball has lost a lot of my interest too, and I love the game.

I had high hopes for Le Bron and Carmello, but with their conduct in the Olympics, I am interested in them a lot less.

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I know how you feel Chad. There isn't enough continuity for me to care about the teams on a personal level.

This year is still going to be awesome though! There are a lot of cool things to watch for this season:

- The rise of the T-Ming dynasty in Houston.

- Will Kobe finally shoot 100 shots in a single game?

- Will one of Kobe's teammates finally slap him silly?

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
There are other reasons to be loyal to a team. I grew up a Laker fan in the time of Kareem and Magic. Eventually, the Miami Heat won my loyalty for two reasons. First, they brought in Pat Riley. Even though he never won a championship there, he gave Miami some exciting times, and rebuilt the team before leaving it to his succcessor. Second, they stayed in Miami at a time when all the other South Florida franchises were abandoning the city, chasing the white American fans who had left town themselves over the last few decades. The Heat's loyalty earned my loyalty.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

This is an exciting year for you then Icky. [Smile]

I was a little sad last season because I didn't get to watch any of Caron Butler's games. But with the national spotlight on Shaq, I'm excited to see Caron, and my old favorite, Eddie Jones. [Smile]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

Oh dear. I've wet my pants.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

*watching the Laker-Sonics game*

I hate Kobe. [Cry]

Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin Garnett has been a T-Wolf his entire career and just signed a long-term contract so he'll probably end his career here too.

He is kind of an old-school player though that believes in loyalty to his team/coach.

Go Wolves!

Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
On a related note, more NBA teams should play in China. The coolness of watching an NBA game at breakfast cannot be overstated.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I watched that game too Tick! My heart stopped when T-Mac and Yao came up limping in the third quarter. I think there is another Kings-Rockets game in China this Saturday evening.
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
When fluidity equals Shaq to the Heat...I'm all for it. [Big Grin]

[ October 14, 2004, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: newfoundlogic ]

Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the team in my state is the colts.

It's the pacer's the colt's are football. I really don't want Reggie Miller to retire, I don't know if he's good anymore, but he's been playing my whole life.

[ October 14, 2004, 09:49 PM: Message edited by: breyerchic04 ]

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There are other reasons to be loyal to a team. I grew up a Laker fan in the time of Kareem and Magic.
Well, that brings back memories, Icarus. Although, being a bit older than you are, apparently, I grew up a Lakers fan when Wilt Chambelain and Jerry West were still playing. Chamberlain dunking a ball was a beautiful thing to see, even from the nosebleed seats in the old Forum in Inglewood.

I'm kind of waiting to see what happens now, though, since the Lakers have officially become "Kobe's team". Shaq's gone. Phil Jackson is gone. Just about everybody but Kobe's gone. And I don't care how hot he thinks his game is, he can't play all five positions by himself - although it seems he thinks he can. So I'm going to have to see how things work themselves out.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.