FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I am allergic to... Update! The results are in! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I am allergic to... Update! The results are in!
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Eljay - I'm glad you're feeling better. My brother had the shots and they helped him a lot. I hope they work for you.

KarlEd - yes, I'm sure it's gold. I'm not allergic to silver or nickel or any other metals, just gold and nothing but the gold. My mother is also allergic to gold.

Hypoallergenic doesn't mean that no one will ever be allergic to it, it just means that it's safer for most people.

And I have another to add to the list that I forgot about - sawdust. I get terrible ashtma attacks from that. Oh, and milk. Nope, not lactose intolerant. Lactose is actually the ONLY component in milk that I am not allergic to.

[ October 13, 2004, 11:27 PM: Message edited by: quidscribis ]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]
My mother in law is allergic to celery. Restaurants keep thinking it is a joke. She keeps having to leave in anaphylactic shock.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ElJay}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

I've never been scratch tested and frankly now I'm hesitant (even though a part of me knows that what you went through is obviously quite rare). I do know I'm allergic to cat, dog, dustmite, pollen, mold, ragweeds, some trees (but I don't know which), and Queen Anne's Lace (that's a nasty one!!)

My sister has all the same plus chocolate, gold, milk (or maybe that's a lactose intolerance, I don't recall now) and eggs.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] ElJay I'm SO SO sorry!!

[Frown] (((((LJ))))))

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
*hee* This is like my very own private hug thread.

(((((((back atcha all))))))

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
o_O And I thought I had bad allergies...

(((ElJay)))

Anyway, the strangest allergies I've ever heard of are the ones one of my uncles has: he cannot eat green fruits (unripe ones, that is), and when he touches leather his teeth hurt! I almost thought it was a joke first time he told me, but apparently it's not...

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you are still doing well, ElJay. *whew!

Don't take any extended absences just right now, okay? We'll worry.

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I missed this being out yesterday! YIKES!

(((ElJay)))

My allergies usually aren't bad enough to seek medical help, and I think I'll stick with that.

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

No need to worry... that's the nice part about having relatives on Hatrack, dkw will let you know if something awful happens to me. [Big Grin] Or vice versa, of course. I was thinking about that when Eduardo posted about if he died we would never know why he disappeared... unless something takes out dkw and me and now probably Bob, too, you'll at least be notified.

*giggle* That probably wasn't as comforting as it was meant to be.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
[Angst] No, it wasn't...
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

In an odd coincidence, the day after I read this I talked to my family. Seems my brother had his allergy test and swelled up/got massively sick. Just a day before he was to move his stuff into a new house. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

My sympathies to him.

The nurse called me the next day to make sure I was alright... she reiterated that I was the worst case she or the doctor had ever seen, and asked how things had went after I left. When I told her about the hives after I left she was a little concerned, that things had kept happening. We also talked about the shots a little... I told her I was nervous, considering my reaction to the test. She said that the test is at a 1:1,000 dilution and if I went ahead with the shots it would be a 1:1,000,000 dilution. I'm going to try it.

Although I felt better by Wednesday night, I still didn't feel really great... had to leave work early Friday and go home to bed. I didn't feel completely recovered until pretty late Saturday evening. I would have hated to have to move in that state. Frankly, I doubt I could have. I could barely hold my head up for most of the day Saturday.

Anyway... I don't think my experience should stop anyone from getting allergy tests. My reaction was undoubtably extreme. But I wouldn't care to go through it again. (Read: Not for love or money.

TheTick
Member # 2883

Thankfully, his new house is just across the water from his old one, and my family is all there to help him out. The moron actually drove himself back to the doctor while he swelled up to look like the Michelin man. [Roll Eyes] That's the Stamm brothers, stubborn to the core.
drumsntolkein
Member # 6095

- posted      Profile for drumsntolkein           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm allergic to wheat, rye, and barley....not too fun. but I can live.
Posts: 76 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm allergic to wheat, rye, and barley....not too fun. but I can live.
Me too (gluten intolerant actually). It's a major annoyance, especially here in the states.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
drumsntolkein
Member # 6095

- posted      Profile for drumsntolkein           Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, Gluten intolerance, Celiac Disease, whatever you want to call it. It's amazing how much stuff has wheat in it. It's also bad because I'm a-symptomatic so even if I were to eat wheat it would destroy my intestines and I wouldn't know it.
Posts: 76 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! I'm not really asymptomatic. Before I was diagnosed I was always severly anemic. Now I have read blood cells (Woo Hoo!!) Unfortunately, that isn't exactly a fast feed back loop. I could be eating the wrong stuff for months before I keeled over.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I just read this thread. Glad you are ok, Eljay!
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kingfounds
Member # 12922

- posted      Profile for Kingfounds   Email Kingfounds         Edit/Delete Post 
(Post removed by JanitorBlade. The spam is really coming down today.)

[ December 12, 2012, 09:53 AM: Message edited by: JanitorBlade ]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
My first thought was "ElJay posted? When?!?".

In 2004, it seems. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

If you look at my post history, you'll see that I posted twice in November and sporadically before then. I've never actually left.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.