FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mmmm... Takeout! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Mmmm... Takeout!
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I do like about the US is how cheaply you can buy Indian and other takeouts. Lamb Rogan Josh all over my keyboard... Yum! [Smile]
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm embarrassed to say...I've never had Indian Food.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but is the highest concentration of "Indian" immigrants on the Eastern seaboard?

Go west my friends!

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Really Chad? How have you managed that? Do you live in a really rural part of the country, or are you fairly young? There have been Indian restaurants in most decent sized cities I've visited.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Have you had Thai food? Vietnamese? If not, you're in for a treat! I would love to discover some delicious, distinctive cuisine that I'd never tried! That would be so much fun!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

SLC doesn't have a large influx of "Eastern" migration. Most of ours comes from South of the border or West of Hawaii.

Let's put it this way...most of our very few cab drivers are hispanics.

That may sound horrible, and I don't mean it as such, but it's a profession that is extremely popular in India to anyone who owns a car and tends to draw many who have migrated as well.

The few I have met have all been involved in the computer/technology fields.

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Chad, you should really try Indian food! I have to say that I'm not a fan of super-searingly hot food but I love Indian food.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
That may sound horrible, and I don't mean it as such, but it's a profession that is extremely popular in India to anyone who owns a car and tends to draw many who have migrated as well.
Really? Huh. The vast majority of first generation Indians I've met have been doctors, pharmacists, IT professionals, physicists, and the like. My understanding was that "braindrain" brought many of India's best and brightest to the US. In other countries, such as South Africa, which had large migrations of Indian Laborers (to build their railroads and such) it's more common for Indian immigrants to have been blue collar workers. My understanding is that in England, the majority of Pakistani immigrants occupy the lower rungs of the socio-economic ladder, which is probably why there is more racism directed against them in Britian than in other countries (that I'm aware of, anyway--people who know more about the situation feel free to correct me).

In any case, in the Midwest there are generally a fair number of Indian restaurants in towns of any size (say, 80K people or more), in my experience. Interesting that they don't exist in SLC. Have our other Hatrackers located in Utah not tried Indian food either?

maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with Noemon... Vietnamese food is great, if a little intimidating to order the first time. Thai is good too, but I prefer Vietnamese.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Yum! Yum!
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

Thanks speed, I'll have to try it!
Noemon
Member # 1115

Punjabi food is really good. India is such a big place that it actually has a number of fairly distinct cuisines.
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
Indian food rocks my face off. i had never tried it until Lindsay suggested it. i dug it, alot. it will knock your socks off chad. it's great!

[ October 13, 2004, 08:16 PM: Message edited by: Ben ]

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signal
Member # 6828

- posted      Profile for signal   Email signal         Edit/Delete Post 
Oddly enough, guess what I just had for dinner. Indian food! Good stuff. I love spicy food. Kinda funny, when I was still in school, my (indian) roommate and I (vietnamese) lived across the street from one of the best thai restaurants this side of the mississippi. Needless to say, we had a lot of all three. [Wink]
Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
MATTAR PANEER!!!

*drool*

Indian food is so cool, cause all the dishes are just named after the ingredients! Aloo = potatoes, Mattar = Peas, Dal = Lentils, Palak = Spinach, Paneer = Cheese..... all you have to do is just combine two of them, and you have an Indian dish! [Smile]

Oh man. I could go for some mattar paneer.... mmmmmmm.

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
Tibetan food is something everyone must try. It is hard to find but is definatly worth the trouble. tibetan places
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I've eaten at the Bombay house twice. Living in SLC is no excuse. There is even an Indian restaurant in Provo, for Pete's sake.

Okay, I checked the Yellow pages and SLC has no less than 13 Indian restaurants, including "Curry in a Hurry". (And this whole time I thought it was a condensed version of the Rocky Horror Picture Show). Ugh. Must block unpleasant image of SLC's mayor dressed as a sweet transvestite.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Salt Lake has fabulous ethnic restaurants. It being my nearest major city, I really look forward to trips there and an excuse to eat at the Cedars of Lebanon. [Smile] They also have a goof Afghan restaurant downton, and that Peruvian place on main. Good Chinese, good Indian, good Mexican (ay caramba!) and good Brazilian. How can the place not be Zion?

(that was flippant, btw)

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
*small voice*

I haven't had Indian food either.

*runs*

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
when I saw the thing about tibetan food, I was going to say "my town has two" but then I realized who posted it, and I assumed that she already knew that (since I'm almost positive she's been to both) I've only been to snowlion.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
Does any of those cuisines have good non-meat dishes? Grrr this is making me hungry.
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Where I live (Sri Lanka) it's not take out, but take away. Yep, we get take away. And usually, when we get take away, it tends to be Sri Lankan rice & curry take away. It has similarities to Indian rice & curries, but has its own distinct personality.

Having said that, I LOVE Indian food. And Thai. And Vietnamese. And . . . Where I lived in Canada (Vancouver), we had a huge Asian population, so no problem finding restaurants from (name your ethnic group here).

Here in Sri Lanka, I'm doubly blessed. Lots of Indian/Japanese/other Asian restaurants here, PLUS I write for a local travel magazine and my regular column with them is the restaurant review section. The Mango Tree restaurant was fabulous - Northern Indian, which means spice wussy whereas I like hot hot hot, but still soooo flavorful. Yum! I drool just thinking about them. And a new Indian restaurant opened down the road from us, Tamatje, I think it's called, also Indian, but they have a wide variety, not just Punjab or Madras. Oh, my, that was good, too.

Mmmmmm. Love Indian food. Mmmmmm. . . .

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that at least indian should. I know that my friend from India is vegetarian (and I think most if not all hindu's are).
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Jaime,

Yes, it's easy to find vegetarian dishes on the menus and in India itself. Hindus are supposed to be vegetarian, and most Indians are Hindu. But practically, they're heading away from vegetarianism to carnivore.

[ October 13, 2004, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: quidscribis ]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

Indian food is hugely vegetarian. Of the 8 or 9 Indian restaurants I've visited, none of them have been more than 40% meat, many more like 20% meat. Lots of good veggie options. [Smile]
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been wanting to try an Indian restaurant down the street from me. Any suggestions from Indian food lovers? What are your favorites?
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds good, thanks, now comes the tricky part where I convince my parents it's about time they enjoyed themselves for once. (Note: I'm not a vegetarian, I just asked the previous qustion because my dad won't eat unkosher meat).
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

Hmm... I really like vegetable korma, sort of a stir-fry type dish, and dal makhani. Mattar paneer is my favorite so far, but newbies might be a little squicked by the blocks of cheese.

Nan is an excellent flatbread that is a must-have appetizer, and samosas and pakoras are delicious balls of fried veggies that are hard to refuse. And I've found that it's best to just order one dish, not the sampler platter, if there is one. Though that could just be specific to the restaurants I've visited.

Zeugma
Member # 6636

Oh, and I love potatoes, so if I'm in the mood for something safe, I just look for dishes with "aloo" or "alu" in the title. [Smile]
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
What are the little pastry tents filled with peas, potatoes, and curry? Also, if there is variable heat, I'd recommend a default of "mild" rather than "medium". My husband and I had the same dish and he ordered his medium and won't go back now.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I've only eaten in an Indian restaurant once. My only memories of it are the bread, which was absolutely yummy (is "nan" the soft bread that almost seems deep fried?), and being followed out to my car by the owner, who wanted to curse me out for not leaving a bigger tip to the waiter who gave us crummy service. The shouting match in the parking lot was more memorable than the food I had.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
I know I've tried the bread before. yum! Thanks for the suggestions- I think I'll try it this weekend...
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
I just LOVE Indian food. I admit to not having been to a restaurant, just stuff I have cooked myself or picked up at Trader Joe's.I really wish I had the $$ to go out for the authentic stuff.
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkWizard
Member # 6186

- posted      Profile for DarkWizard   Email DarkWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
The things with peas are called uhm oh no apparently i have forgotten

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Also *quietly*
I haven't eaten any of the above

Posts: 42 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
They could also be samosas
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
When I visited friends at Penn State over the summer, I was taken to a really good Indian restaurant and had a phenomenal meal. I can't for the life of me remember what it was, but it was really flippin' good.

An hour later, of course, my friend (male) and I were playing Battles#!&s in a bathroom in a guys' dorm... (for the reference, see Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle)

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
romany, if you have the $$ to shop at Trader Joe's, you can probably afford a cheaper, but authentic, family-run Indian restaurant. In my experience, they're not all that expensive. Go with 2 or 3 friends and each get one dish (they're usually served "family-style", meaning they come in dishes everyone can serve some onto their plates from) and some naan to share. The total cost per person is usually less than $10, and it's an experience unlike any other. Another option is a lunch buffet; most of these same restaurants have all-you-can eat lunch buffet, including naan, rice, main dishes of several types, several vegetable dishes, and sometimes a pudding for dessert, for quite a reasonable price. What cities are you near? I have friends in several WA cities; if you'd like, I can see if they have recommendations.

[ October 14, 2004, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

There's a cool Fresh Market in Winston. I wish we had a Trader Joe's.

That's one thing about the south that dissappoints me. You have to search high and low just to find good ethnic food and markets!

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Punjabi food is really good. India is such a big place that it actually has a number of fairly distinct cuisines.
One interesting thing about Hatrack that I don't come across in everyday real life is the fact that many people such as Noemon's comment above, are very knowledgable about ethnic food.

Like I could say I liked Indian Food but as Noemon pointed out, "there are a number of fairly distinct cuisines" in India.

The same goes for Chinese food. I remember feeling insignificant when the food gurus of Hatrack came along and started talking about how chinese food from restaurants was nothing like real chinese food.

Anyway, my point is that either the conversation about food like this never comes up in real life or I'm just not talking to the right people because it's quite a phenomenon here.

Anyway, carry on discussing [Smile]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man, adam is so right - Ethiopian food is wonderful!!!
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ugh. Must block unpleasant image of SLC's mayor dressed as a sweet transvestite.
[Angst] [ROFL]
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Smile] Thanks Teshi! I didn't know if that comment had actually been read by anybody.

The best Indian food I've ever had was in a restaurant in Vientienne in 1997. The nan, while fantastic, was on par with nans I've had since, but the dal was simply...amazing. At some point I'm going to have to go back to Laos just to have another serving of the stuff.

If anybody is interested in trying out their Bengali cooking skills, I highly recommend The Healthy Cuisine of India: Recipes from the Bengal Region. Fantastic cookbook. I've never seen most of the food in this on in a restaurant, so you'll probably get to try something new if you work out of it.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Madison's actually pretty blessed with ethnic restaurants. I believe, in fact, that we have more restaurants per capita than any other city in the country -- and if it's not true, it's certainly a factoid repeated often by people who should know better. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are making me hungry. [No No] [Wink]

quote:
The same goes for Chinese food. I remember feeling insignificant when the food gurus of Hatrack came along and started talking about how chinese food from restaurants was nothing like real chinese food.
There's always dim sum. And there's a place called Red Ginger not far from where I live that has two menus: one for customers who look asian and one for everyone else. If you get the right menu, that place is gooood. *drools*
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

quote:
one for customers who look asian and one for everyone else
That is soooo not right. Maybe when I smile really big and squint my eyes I look a little Asian. Most of the time I do not get away with it. [Smile]

I would like the menu they give the Asians!

Zeugma
Member # 6636

Tom... I've heard over and over that Ithaca, NY has the highest restaurant-per-capita ratio in the US, and I just assumed it was true!

Apparently, lots of people claim to have the most...

According to yellowpages.com, Ithaca has 533 restaurants per 100,000 people (though we only have 30,000). Madison, WI has 293 restaurants per 100,000, I believe, and according to Donny Cheung, Addison, TX has 1213 restaurants per 100,000.

Fascinating stuff! [Smile]

RRR
Member # 6601

- posted      Profile for RRR   Email RRR         Edit/Delete Post 
Now I really really want curry, naan bread, and sticky rice.
Posts: 104 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

In my area I believe we have a barbeque joint every 1.5 miles, with a Baptist Church between each restaurant.

[Roll Eyes]

TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I STILL have a craving for Chinese food that has yet to be sated.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That is soooo not right. Maybe when I smile really big and squint my eyes I look a little Asian. Most of the time I do not get away with it. [Smile]

I would like the menu they give the Asians!

Well, they'll give it to you if you ask. Or if you're a regular. It has stuff like ox knuckles ( [Eek!] ) and salted fish & chicken fried rice. Awww, now I want to go to Red Ginger and stuff myself on scallion pancakes and beef chow fun.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
According to yellowpages.com, Ithaca has 533 restaurants per 100,000 people (though we only have 30,000). Madison, WI has 293 restaurants per 100,000, I believe, and according to Donny Cheung, Addison, TX has 1213 restaurants per 100,000.
Well, now I don't feel so bad! Radcliffe has 250 restaurants per 100,000 people. We're almost as well restauranted as Madison! [Big Grin]

[ October 14, 2004, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: dkw ]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.