FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mmmm... Takeout! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Mmmm... Takeout!
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
ketchupqueen I live in Federal Way, which is very close to Tacoma. The only place close by that comes to mind is Taste of India.
(When our friends ask us how we can afford to shop at Trader Joe's every week- we buy the bulk of our groceries there...I always say "because we never eat out!" For the items we buy, they are actually cheaper than the average grocery store)

Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote: one for customers who look asian and one for everyone else

That is soooo not right. Maybe when I smile really big and squint my eyes I look a little Asian. Most of the time I do not get away with it. [Smile]

I would like the menu they give the Asians!

I live in south Asia - Sri Lanka - and twice now - yep, TWICE - I've been mistaken for a Japanese. I'm pink. Pale pasty white with pink undertones. Very definitely of obviously European descent. And they think I'm Japanese?????

What kind of a menu do ya figure they'd give me? [ROFL]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
When I want REAL Indian food, I go to my best friend's house. Her mom = yummy food.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend who is Lao, and I love going over to her house when she's been cooking. Even better is going to her parents' place when there is some reason for the community to have pooled its cooking talents (wedding, holidays, and the like. I can do without the funerals, cathartic as several days of hanging out in a huge group, eating mind blowingly delicious food, playing cards, until you crash from exhaustion and then sleeping in a pile of people, then getting up and doing it all again can be, it only covers the pain that everyone is feeling).
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
To order (in an informed way, at least) off the Chinese menu at my favorite Chinese place involves being able to read Chinese, unfortunately. I've had pretty good luck with randomly picking things off of it and pointing to them when the server askes what I'd like though. If she says "really?", though, it's generally a good idea to ask what the dish is before insisting that yes, you really do want that.

One thing I hate, which I've only experienced in one Vietnamese restaurant in Wichita, is the server refusing to serve you something or other if you don't look SE Asian. Yes, I know that that spring roll has pork skin in it. No, I don't want the more "American friendly"* version. I will know, when you bring me the "American friendly" version anyway, what you've done. [Mad]

And yes, the server did refer to the kind with regular pork in it as "American friendly". As though people of SE Asian origin can't be Americans.

[ October 15, 2004, 01:38 AM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRR
Member # 6601

- posted      Profile for RRR   Email RRR         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Her mom = yummy food.

O_O
Posts: 104 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.