FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fads (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Fads
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Fads. You know, when your eight-year-old daughter comes home with a butterfly sticker on her forehead and explains to you that "everyone's got one."

I never noticed fads until I came to University. For some reason (whether for economic or other reasons) fads here are more noticable:

UGG Boots - everybody's wearin' 'em, with their pants tucked into them so people can see them.

Scarves. Usually stripy. Worn with everything, especially wound several times around the neck. Now I can't wear my lovely woolen scratchy plaid scarf without following a fad.

Brightly-coloured slip on shoes. At least, this used to be a fad until it got to cold. Bwa ha ha ha... They're a sole with a front made of mesh with shiny same-coloured flowers over the toe.

What are the fads around you?

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
That's bizarre. While I saw all kinds of fads in high school and before, I never noticed them when I was in college. Of course, while in college, I was largely cut off from popular culture, as I almost never watched TV or listened to the radio.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Spinach with onions and feta cheese, Aimee Mann, dark pink lip gloss, and Terry Pratchett.

It's possible I'm the only one following these fads, but I'm on a kick for all of the above.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
Good lord those boots are hideous. *shudders*

I honestly have no idea what the fads are where I am anymore; I had only the vaguest possible idea even when I was still in college (since I spent all my time in the computer science building, not exactly a seething hotbed of cutting-edge fashion). I do know, however, that it's hard to find, in any of the department stores I've been to, any jeans that are not low-rise. This irks me.

Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmm. How are you preparing your spinach, onions, and feta, kat? I might want to follow that fad.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I like how those boots look from the back, but from every other angle I don't. The puffy quality is something that I never liked.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Heat a fry pan fully at medium heat, add a litte bit of olive oil, and put in diced onion. When the onions are clear, add fresh spinach. Let it cook just until it all changes color (stir a little bit). Put on plate, sprinkle with plain feta cheese.

It is SO YUMMY. There are no spices in it - all you taste are the fresh ingredients. I love it. It's also cheap (relatively) and ready in less than ten minutes.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent. I even have all the ingredients.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jess N
Member # 6744

- posted      Profile for Jess N           Edit/Delete Post 
Katharine--I must be following the same fads. I love Aimee Mann and Terry Pratchett. I don't usually follow fads, I do my own thing...
Posts: 392 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

You'll have to tell me what you think. [Smile]
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Rubber bright yellow braceletts that say live strong on them, and support Lance Armstrong Cancer Research. It was cool when the biker's and cancer advocate's wore them, but the cheerleaders are just a bit much.

I actually have a pair of those flowery shoes, but they look good with a black dress I have, I am going to go find them in size nine mens. That could be a little harder.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Jess, have you heard her latest album? I heard It's Not (I tried to link to it, but it's on a Flash link on her site) on NPR two weeks ago, and that jump-started this kick. I love it. I got Bachelor Number 2 from a friend on Sunday, and bought Whatever yesterday evening. BN2 is my least favorite so far, but Jacob Marley's Chain from Whatever really touched me on the way to work this morning.

She's very intense without being strident, and I love her lyrics.

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Short, ruffly skirts that look hideous. I don't have any problem following fashion when it looks good, but why on earth does anyone follow fashion when it looks awful?
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just going to say short, pleated skirts. They seem ubiquitous.

[ October 15, 2004, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Also those short fitted blazers, usually in smoky pastels and made of non-blazer fabrics, such as courderoy. (sp?)

I wanted to find a picture of those shoes you were describing, but I can't find anybody who's selling them. Maybe that particular trend has come and gone already.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
really thin shirts with wiiiiiide necks that can only be worn with 2-7 different colored tank tops underneath that STILL show your bra straps.

Annoying.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, yes, the wide-necked shirts. And don't forget the obligatory flower or tie on one collarbone.

Man, I absolutely hate the current fads.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

quote:
Oh, yes, the wide-necked shirts. And don't forget the obligatory flower or tie on one collarbone.
I have one of these. I wasn't aware it was in style, though, I just got it because it looks wonderful on me.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
Flip flops year round, and jeans that are so long the bootoms are all scruffy.
And those hideous skirts! Don't girls realise they make their butts look big?

Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
I was largely cut off from popular culture, as I almost never watched TV or listened to the radio.
I'm not getting these from the media, I'm getting these from the people I walk past everyday! I see hundreds of people everyday and sit around them and I can't avoid them so the fads are actually quite inescapable.

quote:
I wanted to find a picture of those shoes you were describing, but I can't find anybody who's selling them. Maybe that particular trend has come and gone already.
I looked for a picture of then too, because my description is less than competant, but no luck. They may have been extremely local, as local as just the downtown Toronto area. Most places that were selling them were small stores largely, but not exclusively, in Chinatown.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
jeans that are so long the bootoms are all scruffy
I have a pair of cords that are wonderfully stripy and, I'm afraid, drag. They don't have belt-loops so there's nothing I can do. I like them too much to notice anyway.
Noemon
Member # 1115

If there's one thing I despise, it's scruffy bootoms.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Here they are

Fad Shoes

Mine are a bit different, they are black, and have a little bit of a heal, but have the net and flowers. They were pretty popular around IU all spring and summer.

[ October 15, 2004, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: breyerchic04 ]

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

See, Noemon, this is a perfect example of your posting getting out of control. I'm sure it's new, don't try to tell me you've been like this all along. I've decided you are in an exceptionally good mood that is spilling over into insane posts.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Heh. Actually, it's probably because I'm feeling a bit sick. My head feels like the base of it was bashed in with a club, and then stuffed with cotton. This is after excedrin too.

At least my bootoms aren't scruffy though. Thank God for small favors. [Smile]

Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
jeans that are so long the bootoms are all scruffy.
I have pants like that...but it's not for fashion. They're like that because I'm only 5'1" and since I'm not unnaturally skinny, all the pants made in my waist size are for girls much taller than me. I can't use a belt because if I wear my pants any higher, they'll be up to my breasts and I can't exactly afford to have all my pants hemmed. I roll the bottoms up but they come undone, even after I iron them down. I try safety pins but those come undone and poke me. [Grumble]
Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Don't girls realise they make their butts look big?"

As I understand it, this is the point.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] I think you're right Tom.

What about old fads? Stupider fads? Remember those hideously ugly Trolls with the multi-colored hair? They were EVERYWHERE...and really ugly.

So were Cabbage Patch Kids.

Beanie Babies were everywhere, but at least they're remotely cute.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Those snap bracelets. Um...Doc Martens. I have four pair of Doc Martens, and they all still look new. One pair is ten years old. I want that fad to come back, dang it!
Steev
Member # 6805

- posted      Profile for Steev           Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't aware that wearing Doc Martens was a fad?

I wear mine proudly sometimes with my pants tucked in.

Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Yes, Doc Martens were a fad. [Smile]
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
My buddy just got back from Philly and says that knee-length T-shirts are "in."
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What about old fads? Stupider fads? Remember those hideously ugly Trolls with the multi-colored hair? They were EVERYWHERE...and really ugly.

I had one of those when I was six or seven...I saw the commercial where they make little giggling noises when you press the little gems on their bellies. I *begged* for one, and when I finally got it, I realized it didn't make any noise. It got really old after that--I think I ended up shaving its head.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Ew..knee-length t-shirts? I suppose that song about 'white t-shirt' started that one.

I love the lower waisted pants. They fit me better than the high ones.

I kind of like those UGG's. I don't have any, but I've wanted some because they look soooo comfortable.

I've always loved doc martens! They're not a fad...they're classics.

[ October 15, 2004, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: Tammy ]

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Same here about the ugg boots. They look warm and toasty. Wish I had some.

And I have a pair of docs from when I was 14. They're still in great shape, and I still wear them. They don't count as a fad. [Razz]

[ October 15, 2004, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
UGGs are a fad? Sorry but for me they are a Way of Life. They were brought to the U.S. by the California surfer culture, and are one of the best things that ever happened to people with chronic cold feet. Where I where them entirely depends on how comfy I want to feel. I have worn them to work before after I had foot surgery.

A friend of mine and I ohh, nearly 7 years ago, (we were seeing A Bug's Life so it was 1998) went to a movie theater in the CA town where Papa Moose lives and amused ourselves by counting the number of people standing in line or walking into the movie theater wearing UGGs or wannabes resembling UGGs. I believe it was at least 10% of the population.

And wearing them to movie theaters is a great idea, because a lot of times with the air blasting your feet end up freezing by the end!

AJ

(Incidentally in that part of CA there is also an UGG outlet, so I've never paid full price for them either. Now when a pair wears out, I just ask for them for Christmas.)

[ October 15, 2004, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
oooooooooo. I love Aimee Mann! She writes songs in 3/4 a lot...
Sounds cool and walzish. I like Amateur and Save Me best by her.
Maybe I should rent Magnolia (was going to write down mongolia!!!)
The only fad I am into right now is DMITRI HVOROSTOVSKY and Russian in general. How I LOVE him What a voice! So deep, so powerful. It tastes like good dark chocolate.
And there is also Sims 2 to consider but it is LAGURCHEDY on my computer.
(those shows are kind of... dippy, but I wish I had some doc martens or army boots.)

[ October 15, 2004, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: Synesthesia ]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I first noticed the fads around me when I was in sixth grade. All the cool kids were wearing white oxford shirts with the sleeves rolled up to mid-forearm, Levi's 501 jeans, penny loafers with no socks, and denim jackets covered in Duran Duran pins.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not up on recent fads.
A great book on fads is Bellwether by Connie Willis. The main character is a scientist researching where fads come from and what starts them. A bellwether is the sheep in a herd that the other sheep follow.
Not Willis' best work, but very funny and readable.

[ October 15, 2004, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
UGGs are sooo last year. It's all about the poncho these days.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
I have 4 pairs of Doc Martens and that's about all I wear except Birks.
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

I'm not bashing fads, I'm just commenting on them. I think it's an interesting thing. I don't want anyone to feel bad about hat they wear, I'm sure everyone here has wonderful taste in clothes and style. [Smile] .
Steev
Member # 6805

Well I am bashing fads.

Fads are nothing more than a phase where a large percentage of the population propagates the whims of peer relationships and pop stars.

If I see something that comes through as a fad that has some sort of practicality at all I adopt it permanently. I'm not interested in worrying about what the fashion world thinks I should be wearing.

For instance I don’t see the practicality of bell-bottoms or platform shoes. They were tacky in the 70’s and they are still tacky now.

[Smile]

[ October 16, 2004, 05:35 PM: Message edited by: Steev ]

Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
And Moon Boots are back in style. Oh how I dearly want to relive 3rd grade.

No, wait! No I dont!!!! [Eek!]

Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grigori
Member # 6917

- posted      Profile for Grigori   Email Grigori         Edit/Delete Post 
I am... the Anti-Fad.
Posts: 23 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WishfulWiggin
Member # 6823

- posted      Profile for WishfulWiggin   Email WishfulWiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I have jeans with scraggly bottoms, but yea, I'm short. Sandals year-round are good, especially if you are only going out for like 3 minutes. You shouldn't have to put on shoes if you want to leave your house. Although I would never wear them with socks...

And I had a troll collection when I was little!! And a troll t-shirt, a troll cassette tape, a troll backpack, and a troll mask. I still wear the mask at times. Its fun.

Posts: 208 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steev
Member # 6805

Hey, if they redesign the moon boot to actually keep your feet warm then I might actually get some.
blacwolve
Member # 2972

I wear what I think looks good on me. Yes, I am partially influenced by what's in fashion, but I don't particularly care. I think it's silly not to wear things just because they're in style.
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I wear things if I can get them for under $20.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when I was in high school people would always wear their backbacks on one shoulder. For some reason using both straps was 'nerdy' In college people had grown out of it though...and laughed at people who only used one strap (it was a sure sign of a freshman).
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.