FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ever notice...

Author Topic: Ever notice...
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
...that nachos and mac and cheese are basically the same thing.

...that people who say "know what I mean?" a lot usually aren't very good at expressing what they mean.

...that 20% off seems like it's three or four times a better deal than 10% off.

...that people would rather add all sorts of hard to remember numbers to their e-mail address so it can be their first name or "hotboy" or whatever rather than use an interesting, unique, memorable combination of words.

What have you all noticed?

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
to the first one: no...
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

starchy grain product + melted cheese = comfort food
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
one's a pasta, one's a chip.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
...that there's no way really to cram a whole 6" pastrami sub and onion rings into your stomach without feeling like a giant blimp afterwards?

There's just no feeling svelte with all that junk in the tummy.

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
...that you can't smell your own bad breath?

...that the driver in front of you is even more clueless if he's wearing a hat?

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...that the driver in front of you is even more clueless if he's wearing a hat?
I have noticed this.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

...that washing your vehicle summons the rain clouds to drop their loads shortly after.
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
that men driving red corvettes are normally squicky middle-aged divorcees and think you should immediately fall for them because of the 'vette?

(Though other squickiness issues aside why you would ever want to get into a car that they treat like a child and be afraid you might damage it by farting in it is another question.)

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

...that a lot of Hummer drivers are really older women.
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

RE: Hummer drivers.

Yep.

Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
That when people ask how you are, if you say "I'm dead, thanks and how are you?" in a normal tone of voice, never notice the difference unless its pointed out to them.
Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
...that sitting in a red 'vette gives you the sudden urge to pass gas?
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
...that Jetta drivers seem to think they're on the Autobahn?
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
That Cadillacs and Buicks are never driven above 55 MPH.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
that "walk" lights are always way too short when you're walking, and way too long when you're driving?
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

<---Jetta driver

I haven't noticed that in the Bay Area though [and I don't drive like that]. Around here it's the BMW drivers who act like they're on the Autobahn.

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...that 20% off seems like it's three or four times a better deal than 10% off.
No way! 10, 20 and 30% off are never as much as they sound like. I've made a rule for myself that I can't consider it "on sale" unless it's at least 50% off.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
...that orange juice is actually yellow and that the trucks that say "Yellow" are actually orange?
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
that music you don't like is always too loud, and music you like is never loud enough?
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...that you can't smell your own bad breath?
actually, if you can smell your own bad breath, imagine how other people must feel ...

quote:
That Cadillacs and Buicks are never driven above 55 MPH.
My car is a Buick. I drive about 57 mph. My husband's car is a Ford. I drive that about 57 mph. In this case, at least, it's the driver, not the vehicle.

here's one that is specific to my work: ever notice how something goes wrong with the computer program when you are in the middle of something or when you aren't doing anything at all? (we have a program that shuts down at the drop of a hat ... or something. There is no commonality, no clue to what makes it do that.)

edited to add: unstable proprietory software is the phrase I was looking for.

[ October 15, 2004, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: CaySedai ]

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
If people ask "How are you?", they don't notice if you respond with "Hello!"?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...that nachos and mac and cheese are basically the same thing.
Um, no. One is made of tortilla chips topped with melted cheese and peppers, and the other is a casserole consisting of noodles cooked in a cheese sauce. The only thing they have in common is that they both contain cheese. But then, so do a lot of things.

quote:
and that the trucks that say "Yellow" are actually orange?
Yes! That drives me crazy! Does anyone know the reason for that?

[ October 15, 2004, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: Verily the Younger ]

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
a lot of goooooood things contain cheese.

...that anyone driving slower than you is a moron, and anybody driving faster than you is a maniac?

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
some of the more common ones, but true none the less

... That people will order super-sized burger, a super-sized fries, and then top it off with a large diet coke?

... That theres handicap parking at skating rinks?

... That if poly means many, and if ticks are blood sucking insects, what is politics?

... (Insert Oxymoron)

... That when you're searching for something, it's always in the last place you'll look?

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
let me guess. If it was in the first place you looked you would keep looking?
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

... There's a bit of a joke there... If you find it, then you won't search anymore, thus it's the last place you'll look for it. ^_^

[ October 15, 2004, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: Vadon ]

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
You don't know me very well. eg I've searched for keys...
...while holding them in my hand.

[ October 15, 2004, 10:52 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

[ROFL] sorry, but [ROFL]
Vadon
Member # 4561

Ah yes, I too admit to searching for my glasses while they were on my face. ^_^
Stan the man
Member # 6249

I've done that too, but the problem was that the lenses had popped out......again. [Grumble]
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I've found my keys in the freezer.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

That eventually the fun threads die out sooner rather than later.
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Porter once found a pizza in his sock drawer....
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

[ROFL] That is the best thing I've read tonight
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It's true. I looked for that pizza for about half an hour, and finally found it in my underwear drawer.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
That people will order super-sized burger, a super-sized fries, and then top it off with a large diet coke?
Actually, this one makes perfect sense.
DarkWizard
Member # 6186

- posted      Profile for DarkWizard   Email DarkWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
My dad works for Yellow the trucking company with orange Trucks. Although i never understood it either.
Posts: 42 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I submit that Cheezits are actually the closest thing to Mac and cheese.

Say did you ever hear the joke about "not yo' cheese?"

So Porter, did you leave the pizza in the sock drawer or was it helped there by a youngster?

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it was kidnapped (pizza-napped) by a band of hungry unwashed socks.

I never did trust those Argoyles.

[ October 18, 2004, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: Dan_raven ]

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...that Jetta drivers seem to think they're on the Autobahn?
We're not?
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
... There's a bit of a joke there... If you find it, then you won't search anymore, thus it's the last place you'll look for it. ^_^

The day we figured that out in French class (back in high school) was a very fine day indeed.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.