FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Velvia --> Digital -- Help! (Also, New Foobonic Pics)

Author Topic: Velvia --> Digital -- Help! (Also, New Foobonic Pics)
Chaeron
Member # 744

- posted      Profile for Chaeron   Email Chaeron         Edit/Delete Post 
I tried to get some of my slides scanned to post here. However, even paying for high-res "professional" scans, I get nothing but black in the shadows. As far as digital has come, I still can't see anything that can match the tonal range and colour saturation of Velvia. Scanning it is difficult, I know, but it shouldn't be this bad.

I posted what was decent enough to be seen. I hope to have better scans, but in the meantime, here is Crown Mountain.

Also, for what it's worth, I've begun to post digital snaps from my summer job at Springfield Cattle Ranch.

Does anyone know if drum scanners typically get higher Dmax and Drange than high end flatbed or transparency scanners?

[ October 19, 2004, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: Chaeron ]

Posts: 1769 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, those are some beautiful pictures.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaeron
Member # 744

They could be so much better. Oh how I wish there was an easy solution.

I guess I better start saving up for a drum scanner.

And learn how to operate one.

[ October 17, 2004, 07:41 PM: Message edited by: Chaeron ]

Posts: 1769 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Ralphie + Chaeron's pix 4 evar
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Um...where exactly is Crown Mountain? I mean, state, region? What city is in the background of that one?

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaeron
Member # 744

Vancouver, BC. It is one of the higher North Shore mountains. My mother lives about 15 mins walking distance away from the trailhead.
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Your mother is a very lucky person, then.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaeron
Member # 744

It's one hell of a hike though.
Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
A drum scanner is the way to go for Slide scanning. I shoot lots of Velvia and Provia slide film and use a Minolta drum scanner. I've gotten good results from it. However, if I've chosen a slide for serious enlargement then I'll take it to the professional shop.

-Matt

Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaeron
Member # 744

Thanks matt. I wanted to know a little bit more about expected results before I plunked down the cash for a drum scan.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Chaeron,

The ones of the Springfield cattle ranch -- you TOOK those, or you are IN those? I'm confused, since people reply like it is you, but you post here like you took them.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaeron
Member # 744

The ones I'm in, I didn't take. That would be me in the first one, second one, etc. Other than that, I took them.

Oh, and the picture of the range I didn't take either.

P.P.S: I framed the first shot, had someone else take it.

[ October 19, 2004, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: Chaeron ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.