FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I don't understand why this doesn't get more media attention.

Author Topic: I don't understand why this doesn't get more media attention.
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
And once again, people being thrown out of Bush/Cheney rallies.

Protect Our Civil Liberties

Now, I would think that "Protect our Civil Liberties" was fairly inoffensive. I mean, I'd think most Americans would be sort of in favor of protecting our civil liberties. I would not have imagined that anyone would get thrown out of a political rally for advertising the protection of civil liberties. But I see I have been proven wrong.

And then there was this one:

Don't Shout "NO" Near Cheney

I'm so fed up with this...

Jen

[ October 18, 2004, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: Fyfe ]

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaeron
Member # 744

- posted      Profile for Chaeron   Email Chaeron         Edit/Delete Post 
I seems that this administration has taken on the full blown paranoia and secrecy of the Nixon presidency. If the public really gets a candid glimpse of the Bush team from behind the wall of superficial public piety they have erected, I think most people who support him would change their mind in a heartbeat.
Posts: 1769 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
there there.

If it cheers you up any, i just found out we have special penalties specifically for people stealing crawfish.

It would cheer me up, but you might not enjoy it as much

Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I live in Eugene, and I didn't hear about either of these events.

I guess my subscription to the paper just ran out last week and I haven't been able to renew it yet, so that could be why I hadn't heard about it.

Crazy stuff.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
"Right to Life" sounds like a good idea that all good and fair people would naturally support. But the words don't really mean what they mean in absence of context now, do they?
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
What the hell?
But, the shirts weren't even really anti-Bush.
Doesn't that seem a bit... Contrary to the principals of Democracy?

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stark
Member # 6831

- posted      Profile for Stark   Email Stark         Edit/Delete Post 
There go my plans to show up at a Bush rally with my "Please don't shoot me in the head" shirt.
Posts: 58 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

just put a sweater over it. Then make a fuss when they kick you out
Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
3 cheers for the Patriot Act....because we can obviously trut the goverment not to abuse those new powers, right? [Roll Eyes]

After all, a vote for anyone other than Bush/Cheney is a vote for terrorism, remember?

[ October 18, 2004, 11:14 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my question, though: How exactly does this reflect badly directly on Bush and Cheney? There's no way they personally kicked the teachers out. I read one article that said a police officer kicked them out. I seriously doubt, furthermore, that Bush or Cheney personally told that police officer to arrest the women. At best the officers were told to keep the peace or something; at worst they were told to kick out dissenters. Am I missing something? Yes, it happened at a convention for Bush and Cheney, but couldn't it as easily have happened at a Kerry campaign convention if the same dumb police officer were there instead?

I'm not saying I love Bush; I just don't see the connection.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

It hasn't been happening at Kerry rallies, mysteriously enough.

Besides, the Bushes are oppressing people. You should hear the stories we've heard from people who live in Kennebunkport. When the Bushes are in town, the Kennebunkport store owners have to hide their anti-Bush joke products lest they get interrogated and harassed. People getting cars towed because they unknowlingly parked a mile from where Shrub plays golf... It's no good!

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you serious? Is the paranoia founded? In other words, has anyone actually been interrogated? And if so, what were the consequences? I can't imagine any presidential candidate who hoped to win suppressing constitutional rights, no matter how corrupt. Even Hitler wouldn't have done that.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Why is it that in order to see Bush I have heard that people have to sign some sort of loyalty pledge. Why?
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

I don't know that anything came of the questioning--but they shouldn't have to be questioned because they have joke products that make fun of the President.

Pooh.

Toretha
Member # 2233

Added to Fyfe's post-legally parked. And the car searched.

And several hours of questioning, just just a brief question and answer session. And no choice given as to whether or not they're going to come, or what time.

[ October 19, 2004, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: Toretha ]

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they're worried that the protesters are these guys

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002060393_breakin12m.html

or these guys
http://www.local6.com/politics/3785861/detail.html

or these guys
http://www.washtimes.com/upi-breaking/20041005-024050-1855r.htm

or these guys
http://wowktv.com/news/index.cfm?newsItemID=1320

or these.. .you get the point...

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

- posted      Profile for gnixing   Email gnixing         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It hasn't been happening at Kerry rallies, mysteriously enough.
why is this mysterious? maybe bush supporters have better things to do then protest kerry at his rallies.
Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

- posted      Profile for gnixing   Email gnixing         Edit/Delete Post 
oh... and so i can seem somewhat non-partisan... bush supporters do their dirty work in college dorm rooms and other places. just not the rallies.
Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

They're worried that people wearing "Protect Our Civil Liberties" shirts are going to rob them? [Confused] I fear I don't see the connexion.
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the point The Pixiest is trying to make is that there's been some bad behavior among the anti-Bush crowds, so it's understandable if security is being beefed up.

For the record, I think the rules should be more lax. It makes the Bush campaign look bad, even if they're not directly responsible, even if the reasons are justified.

But can you imagine a Bush rally with ten or fifteen people shouting anti-Bush sentiments in the crowd? Can imagine what might happen with these same people surrounded by Bush supporters? At best a shouting match would ensue, at worst a full-blown physical fight. I think protesters are hauled out so quickly--or kept out altogether--to avoid that kind of brouhaha.

Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's a Republican thing generally, not just a Bush/Cheney thing? I know that a few days ago, in a town near where I live in California, Gov. Arnold held a "Town Hall" meeting. Sounds like something that would be open to everyone, doesn't it, since he's supposed to be everyone's governor? Well, no. It was open only to invited guests who were friendly to his administration and policies. Making it, I suppose, not so much a "Town Hall" meeting as a photo op designed to make the Gov. look good.

Edited to add, because my brain is working slowly today: Certainly Bush/Cheney don't want the voters to see that there are people who disagree with them, which would be why they don't want dissenters in their crowds. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have occurred to anyone that it makes them look even worse to throw people out of meetings who aren't misbehaving, but only trying to exercise their First Amendment free speech rights.

[ October 19, 2004, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: littlemissattitude ]

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Republicans tend to protest outside the actual places where the Dems are speaking. Republican speakers like friendly crowds so they try to tell as few people as possible that they are coming to town.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

FoolishTook--I still don't see the connexion. These women were wearing "Protect Our Civil Liberties" shirts. Surely Americans, Democrats and Repulicans alike, are in favour of protecting our civil liberties? They weren't protesting, they were wearing shirts that advocated civil rights. I can see absolutely no problem with that. It's a free speech issue. They had tickets; they were not disrupting anyone; they should not have been thrown out.

Jen

Ace of Spades
Member # 2256

- posted      Profile for Ace of Spades           Edit/Delete Post 
That's the Secret Service, not the Bushes.
Posts: 431 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.