FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So, The Guardian decided to give Kerry a hand.... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: So, The Guardian decided to give Kerry a hand....
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So, to be clear on this, you would be okay if they set up a tyrannical fundamentalist regime that immediately began launching terrorist attacks on the United States? Because it would have initially won a popular vote?
I actually WAS thinking about this but decided not to carry out that end in what I said.

No, I wouldn't be OKAY with it. They're perfectly free to make those decisions, but they also have to deal with the consequences.

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No, not really. I've proven myself pretty unlikely to AGREE with them, and very unlikely indeed to do anything but mock them, but I would argue that it's perfectly possible to understand someone's motivations and concerns and still dismiss them entirely.
On at least one issue, the gay marriage amendment, you have on several occassions misstated the purpose and intent of the people supporting it. And this is on an issue I agree with you on.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
And if the consequences would be immediate re-occupation of their country, is that really freedom?

----

Dag, you only say that because I don't accept "my God says so" as a valid, rational reason. [Smile]

[ October 19, 2004, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Of course, since that's not their reason, you've proven my point, smilie notwithstanding.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah. As that's the only reason I never put forward, perhaps I'm missing a reason that you believe I'm leaving out. [Smile] Would you identify which reason that is, then, so I can tell you you're wrong? *grin*

(Note: if you'd like, I could go create a new thread on which I attempt to write sensibly on why I think people who oppose gay marriage oppose gay marriage without once mentioning their belief in God. But that would be terminally dull, don't you think?)

[ October 19, 2004, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaeron
Member # 744

- posted      Profile for Chaeron   Email Chaeron         Edit/Delete Post 
Xenophobia, fear, disgust, etc. The reasons seem simple to me.
Posts: 1769 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

OK, I've tried three times, and "As that's the only reason I never put forward, perhaps I'm missing a reason that you believe I'm leaving out" just doesn't make sense to me. What do you mean by only reason I never put forward?
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Xenophobia, fear, disgust, etc. The reasons seem simple to me.
And that's why you'll have zero success in changing people's minds on the subject.

Dagonee

TomDavidson
Member # 124

"What do you mean by only reason I never put forward?"

I mean that I've listed, over the last seven years, dozens of reasons that anti-gay-marriage advocates take very seriously -- like the legal logic behind the recognition of husband/wife marriage, the preservation of what they believe is the most fundamental unit of society, the need to hold the wall against what they consider an assault on their values, etc. I've addressed them all in turn, because I find them all ultimately lacking. And the one -- the only one -- I have not addressed is "my God said so," precisely because I have no good answer to that argument.

It's not that I don't understand why they feel the federal recognition of same-sex marriage would be a bad thing; it's that I understand dozens of their reasons -- some of which they don't all universally share, mind you -- and disagree with all of 'em.

In this, you may find me remarkably similar to our president (to bring this back to the topic). I think the reason these letters seem insulting is that the writers do not pause to consider that perhaps those who disagree with them already know their reasons and have decided to disagree; the assumption is that most Americans haven't thought things through. As I think this is an accurate assessment in this case, I'm not insulted by the allegation -- but I can understand why other people would be.

[ October 19, 2004, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And if the consequences would be immediate re-occupation of their country, is that really freedom?
Perhaps the consequences would be devastating war where we don't care to help them set up a system of government not including a brutal dictatorship. Let them pick up their own pieces.

That reply, remember, is based on the hypothetical of them attacking the U.S. We have every right to defend ourselves.

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaeron
Member # 744

- posted      Profile for Chaeron   Email Chaeron         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I won't change many people's minds. I have changed some, when I care to get into the debate and that has mostly been when discussing in person. Online, I rarely have the patience lately.

That said, the reasons I listed above are more than likely milling through the heads of a significant number of voters.

Posts: 1769 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, I'm not really sure what you mean by Britain being influential.
There was a time when the sun never set on the British Empire.

Now, it's all "look upon my works, ye Mighty, and despair." History lessons worth remembering. [Smile]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Do you believe that it is impossible to name an operation for something other than what it is actually meant to accomplish?
Oh yes, it is possible. It happens too often in Israeli issues. (Got it from the US?)

Operation "Homat Magen", "Wall of defence", was ridiculous. According to a calculation of mine, at the rate of x metres per y weeks it would take about 700 years to complete a mere 200-250 KM or so.

That WAS the actual rate.

Jonny

[Note: Speed might have changed, but the concept remains. No defence for 700 years? And who said the wall will NECESSARILY defend Israel?]

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.