FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Anybody Familiar With GlobalSecurity.org?

Author Topic: Anybody Familiar With GlobalSecurity.org?
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I just came across this site, and it looks pretty interesting, but I haven't dug very deeply yet. I have no idea what it's slant is, whether it purports to be neutral, etc. Just glancing at it though, I'm pretty impressed.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
I've used that site before, and I agree--it does appear to be pretty fair-minded.

And I must say that I really enjoy being a member of a group that has people in it who know how to use the word "purport."

--Steve

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never used the site, but it has a reputation for being non-partison and balanced. It's quoted on the PBS news hour and other news shows from time to time.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
The deeper I dig, the more impressed I am with it. I would like to just take the rest of the week off and just sit down and read the entire site.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
A week might get you a little familiarized on how to find things.

GlobalSecurity is a total wonk site: ie set up by the type of folk who become advisors to Administration after Administration even through changes of the Party in power; trusted cuz they won't delete, hide, disguise, or spin information to misleadingly promote their own views or to play partisan games.

[ October 20, 2004, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
aspectre,

But are they good wonks, or are they bad wonks?

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
They have some fairly interesting articles, if your tastes run that way.

Insofar as I am aware, nobody has caught them in an outright lie or distortion of the truth - it's not a subjective site at all, as far as I know.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taberah
Member # 4014

- posted      Profile for Taberah           Edit/Delete Post 
They have a pretty tremendous archive of resources. It's both good and bad--good, because the idle searcher can obtain a large amount of information about otherwise secret government programs/doctrine/etc., but bad because they sometimes threaten national security by posting stuff that's classified.

It's true that the government is sometimes heavy-handed in classifying stuff. However, this doesn't give internet mavericks the right to blissfully threaten the lives of American soldiers in the name of free speech. You'd be surprised at what can be used against us.

Posts: 224 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.