FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Someone watch this and tell me what it is, please

Author Topic: Someone watch this and tell me what it is, please
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
http://vbuttons.com/ec/5629/index.php?em_id=1424386

OSC recommends we watch it before the election and I can't get it to play in the lab with broadband.

Given that the site has a background of Lenin and Stalin edit: and Hitler, I'm guessing this isn't about bunnies and duckies and will probably piss me off, but, like picking a scab, I just can't not know what it is.

[ October 20, 2004, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: Storm Saxon ]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmkaProblemka
Member # 6495

- posted      Profile for AmkaProblemka   Email AmkaProblemka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having trouble too. Would like to know what is on it, or how to access it. Not sure if being behind a firewall is blocking it.
Posts: 438 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't bother.

[ October 20, 2004, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BookWyrm
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for BookWyrm   Email BookWyrm         Edit/Delete Post 
Basically, its an AntiKerry add with Reagan during a debate with Mondale, pointing out he (Mondale) was against the F14A/F14D, the B1/B2 Bombers and cutting away to a picture of Kerry while those statements are made. Which as we already know, is an exaggeration of the records.
Posts: 986 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BookWyrm
Member # 2192

DOH! TD was replying as I was typing mine up. I need to type faster [Wink]
Posts: 986 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, all those things just make me like Kerry more-- I still don't like him much, but I do like him more after seeing that.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
God, what a load of garbage.
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, it's actually linked to on the Hatrack River home page.

This makes my stomach hurt. I think it's time for me to take a break from this place for a while. There's an elephant in the living room, and I can't ignore it any more. [Frown]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

So, what's the Hitler/Stalin/Lenin tie-in? They were all pretty gung-ho on the military, from what I remember.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BookWyrm
Member # 2192

Not really sure Storm.
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I should have listened to Tom. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was pretty much propaganda.

However, it's worth noting that I'm not going to stop hanging out in the Cards' living room because I disagree with a political link Uncle Orson recommends. If I stopped associating with people I disagreed with politically, I don't know that there would be anyone left on Hatrack that I could be friends with.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

I agree.
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Except that I think a more appropriate analogy might be a living room that the forum members spent a lot of time and energy on decorating and making a comfortable and friendly place that people want to hang out in.
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it's any less friendly when someone links to a political ad you don't like. Is that what you're implying? Far worse is said on Hatrack every day.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Nope. That wasn't what I was implying. [Smile]
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is one place where the living room analogy breaks down. Were OSC to advance it is not just acceptable but worthy to link Kerry to some of the greatest murderers in the history of the world, in his living room (with me as a guest), would drive me out of his living room immediately. Luckily, I am not in his living room, and I can go on for the most part ignoring the deplorable ways he goes about advancing his politics.

[ October 20, 2004, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: fugu13 ]

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Oh, and does anyone else find it funny that this is the same guy that railed against the Kerry campaign for what he alleges were vile and hurtful distortions of the truth about Bush?
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Inviting someone into my living room doesn't allow them to dictate what I keep on the walls of my kitchen
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
Eh...it's a political propaganda ad the same as F9/11. Effective spin...but spin none the less.
Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Market Beagles
Member # 6941

- posted      Profile for Black Market Beagles           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
to link Kerry to some of the greatest murderers in the history of the world
The ad is not linking Kerry to mass murderers.

The analogy is between (1) President Reagan's response to the danger posed to our country by Communism, and (2) way in which a President Kerry would respond to the danger of similar magnitude (terrorism) that our country faces now.

The ad is not comparing Kerry to Hitler, Stalin, Bin Laden, etc. It's questioning Kerry's ability to handle threats to the US of the magnitude of Nazism, Communism, and terrorism.

What's so terrible about what the ad actually says?

[ October 20, 2004, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: Black Market Beagles ]

Posts: 11 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Black Market Beagles
Member # 6941

- posted      Profile for Black Market Beagles           Edit/Delete Post 
And Storm Saxon, you shouldn't pick scabs. They won't get better if you do that. [Smile]
Posts: 11 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

quote:

And Storm Saxon, you shouldn't pick scabs. They won't get better if you do that.

Well, you know what they say, you can pick your friends, and you can pick your scabs....
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if OSC gets to put up a political link that everyone is supposed to see before the election then so do I!

So here it is once again, from the Daily Show. [Wink]

[ October 20, 2004, 10:09 PM: Message edited by: Xaposert ]

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I looked at that anti-Kerry ad the other day...
I felt it was inaccurate in parts, but I couldn't figure out why.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

The imagery of the site definitely links him to communism and stalin. The suggestion is quite clearly that electing Kerry is the same as giving in to communism and stalin.
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
That's because the movie is about reagan's battle with communism... which is somehow apparently connected to the war on terror and John Kerry in their minds. Enough so at least to warrant putting an anti-Kerry ad on the site.
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, if OSC gets to put up a political link that everyone is supposed to see before the election then so do I!
I haven't noticed a great reticence for putting up political links on this site. [Smile]

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.