FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Does Anyone Have a Good Potato Kugel Recipe?

Author Topic: Does Anyone Have a Good Potato Kugel Recipe?
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I am hosting the first JSA Shabbat Supper on Friday and I want to make potato kugel. Does anyone have a good recipe? It has to be vegetarian.

I am also making barley, green bean casserole, ginger carrots, and autumn glory (a pumpkin, root vegetables, and pasta dish that is serves in a hollowed out pumpkin).

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't do many recipes, but when I occasionally need one in a pinch, I use allrecipes.com - it looks like they have several variations on kugel there.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Ooooh, Autumn Glory sounds wonderful. And I love ginger carrots. [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Can it be dairy? I make a delicious dairy potato kugel...
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

Annie, I tried allrecipes. To my consternation, they didn't have anything that I could use.

Ela, it can be dairy.

ElJay, I haven't actually ever made the autumn glory, but the picture in the cookbook is so pretty and unusual that I have to try it. I'm testing it Friday for a possible Thanksgiving dish.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

Here's the recipe, somewhat adapted from Recipes for a Small Planet, in case you want to use it. I don't follow it exactly; I use slightly more potatoes, less oil and much less salt. You can skip the dairy elements, if you want it to be parve, and it will still taste great. We love it with the cheese on top, though.

6 average potatoes
2-3 carrots
1 big onion
1 clove garlic, minced (I use a press)
2 eggs, beaten
3 tbsp oil
2 tsp salt
1/4 cup whole grain bread crumbs (I use matzoh meal)
1 cup (1 packet) instant milk powder

Topping:
Grated cheese (I use cheddar)- the recipe calls for 1 cup, but I use just enough to make a nice cheesy top)

Grate pototoes, carrots and onions. Stir in remaining ingredients. Add milk powder carefully to avoid lumps. Spread mixture evenly in an oiled pan. Bake 40-60 min at 350 degrees. Before you remove it from the oven, add the grated cheese on top and leave for 5 min. more, till cheese melts.
The kugel can be served with plain yogurt on the side, which we like, and tastes great hot or cold.

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

Thank you, Ela. Sounds yummy.

Edit: For some weird reason, I didn't process the word grate.

[ October 20, 2004, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: Mrs.M ]

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
If you are crazy and have time to do it, you can also put the mixture in greased muffin tins. Yes, it takes more time than spreading it out in a pan, but you end up with little individual portions [well, 3-4 of them make up an individual portion but you know what I mean].

I'm crazy enough to have done it that way once. But only once. [Although I might do it again].

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

Sounds like a cute idea, Zal. It would work well for a potluck, where people just want small tastes of things anyway.

Writing that recipe out has made me hungry - maybe I should make it myself. [Wink]

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Ela, this sounds yummy. It's a savory kugel, right? Are noodle kugels usually sweet? (I only have had sweet noodle kugels, never a potato one. But this does whet the appetite.)
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

Yes, it's a savory kugel. Many kugels are. For example, you can make a broccoli kugel (not my favorite, but I've had it made by others). I can't remember ever having a noodle kugel that wasn't sweet.
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Great! You have both broadened my horizons and confirmed my (slippery) memory.

Broccoli kugel? I love broccoli, and I often casserole it with a roux-based white sauce topped with cheese. Is this kugel-ish, or does it have to have eggs to qualify?

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
The best noodle(not potato, sorry) kugel recipe I know is from the Moosewood Cookbook. If you want it, I can copy and send it.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

I generally make a dairy kugel.

In case you are interested, my noodle kugel contains egg noodles (I cook up a 1 lb bag), 1 can crushed pineapple in its own juice (no added sugar), 1 to 1 1/2 lb container low fat cottage cheese,1/2 to 1 cup plain yogurt, 2-4 eggs, about 1/2 cup raisins, and cinnamon to taste. Optional ingredients: a little lowfat sour cream, if I happen to have it, milk if the mixture seems too dry, occasionally I will add nuts (like slivered almonds) or sunflower seeds. I top it with wheat germ and cinnamon before baking.

I don't follow an exact recipe, just toss in whatever of the above I have available, and bake it at 350 till it sets and gets a little browned on top (about 30-40 min, depending on the volume).

This kugel is filling enough to be eaten as a main dish, with a salad and vegetable on the side.

Ela
Member # 1365

Sara, I love broccoli too, but I don't love the broccoli kugels I've had - maybe because the broccoli usually seems to come out overcooked.

And, yes, kugels generally do contain eggs.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
There are lots of really great ones at Recipezaar (my absolute favorite recipe site ever, much better than allrecipes in my book).
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

That site doesn't seem to have any kugel recipes - at least none came up when I did a search.

But I found a kugel archives. [Big Grin]

[ October 21, 2004, 01:02 AM: Message edited by: Ela ]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom makes a savory noodle kugel (my dad likes it) as well as the more common sweet one.

My kids' favorite kugels are the variants on my Almost-Instant Kugel. (Take 3 jars baby food (carrots, sweet potato, or squash). Rinse jars with soy or rice milk (this is a non-dairy kugel, served as a side-dish); and add a little more soy/rice milk to mixture. Whisk in two eggs, vanilla, spices (a little cinnamon, nutmeg, and/or allspice), about 1/2 c. sugar (preferably brown) and either 1 c. flour OR 1/2 c. of cornstarch. Mix well. Pour into baking dish or dishes; bake at 325F for 40-60 minutes (time depends on dish sizes and exact proportions I ended up with [Wink] ). Great hot or cold.)

Kugel just means "pudding" . . . so there are many many varieties.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.