FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I (heart) Huckabees

Author Topic: I (heart) Huckabees
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I searched for a thread about this mvoie but couldn't find one, so don't blame me if I'm covering already trampled ground.

EDITED TO EXPLAIN:

I ♥ Huckabees is one of those small movies that recieves a wider release because people liked it so much. It may have premiered at the Toronto Film Festival - it definately played here during the festival. It may still have a limited release in only large cities. You can see the trailer at quicktime.com though, which leads me to believe the release is fairly, if not universally, wide.

ANYWAY:

I saw this movie last night and really liked it, but I can hardly describe it.

It is touted as an "existentialist comedy" and that's exactly what it is. It walks that fine line between absurd drama and subtle comedy. The characters seem normal but actually they're odd. The acting is excellent, the characters are excellent, the script is excellent. The movie seems normal but it's so definately not. It's... normally strange... or strangely normal.

Does that even make sense? See what I mean about not being able to describe it? All I can do is recommend it as a strangely normal and normally strange existentialist subtle comedy/absurd drama.

[Confused]

ps. The trailers showed not one but TWO commercials for Fable.

pps. Has anyone else seen it?

[ October 21, 2004, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't even heard about it........

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I really really want to see it. Thankfully, it's opening here this weekend, so maybe next week sometime I'll get to see it.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jess N
Member # 6744

- posted      Profile for Jess N           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to see it but I have no existential friends to go with. I love the ad they're running on the radio about the movie though.

"What's the meaning of life?"
"Everything---Nothing---"
"EXACTLY"

Reminds me of my undergrad class in Absurdist Literature. That was the darkest and yet most fun class I've ever taken!

Posts: 392 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen it.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to see it. Badly.
I have a baby.
Ergo, I will not see it until it comes out on video.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Defenestraitor
Member # 6907

- posted      Profile for Defenestraitor   Email Defenestraitor         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man, I loved this movie. If you've ever found yourself caught between two conflicting philosophies in your Search for Truth and Meaning in the Universe, IHH will resonate with you. It stays true to the frustration of such a search but tells it in such a funny way. I couldn't stop laughing. I saw a bit of myself in every scene. Actually, I thought of Hatrack during the Dinner Scene [Smile] (I won't say more about it, no spoilers here, suffice to say I think it's the most painful, shocking, and hilariously funny debate scene I've ever seen on screen). While comical elements were used to tell the story, the story itself did not mock, but in fact embraced, the search for truth. That's what I loved most about it.
Posts: 236 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
I really want to see it . . . might be a while before we get around to it, though. These are busy times.
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, saxon75, you had the same problems describing it as I did. It must be literally indescribable.

Edit: to test for this: ♥

[ October 21, 2004, 07:28 PM: Message edited by: Teshi ]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
I won't see it until it comes out on Video for the same reason Tom said.

It's done by the same director/writer of Three Kings: David O. Russell

I'm intrigued about it, but it's not a top priority.

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
You have Tom's baby, too? [Big Grin]

(I want Tom's baby. She is utterly charming and already a real flirt.)

Little Miss Cutie-Pie

[ October 21, 2004, 08:21 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure! If Tom doesn't want her/him. I already have two younguns' of my own. I'd have to ask my wife first though. You don't go and invite another mouth into the family without her consent no matter how cute...

But I'm willing to bet Tom is quite fond of that little one and unwilling to give her up. [Wink]

Alas, Movie going in person will be and has been delayed.

If you're single, get all the movie watching and "single life" things done that you can if you ever plan on having kids.

I (heart) Stromankids.

[ October 21, 2004, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: CStroman ]

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.