FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Credit for fast food

Author Topic: Credit for fast food
Enderwillsaveusall
Member # 6227

- posted      Profile for Enderwillsaveusall   Email Enderwillsaveusall         Edit/Delete Post 
I just went to a mcdonalds to pick up a milkshake and i was strucken with horror at what i saw. You can now pay with credit cards to get food at fast food joints. This made me angry. What is this world coming to. America is just going to become one fat world power.

Now if people dont have the cash the can just charge it to their cards. The way people are in credit trouble im assuming people are going to charge whenever they can.

[Wall Bash] Fast food is our real enemy.

Posts: 81 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Fast food is our real enemy.
Then why were you buying it?
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
That is pretty bad. Especially when you think of the way credit card companies prey on college students (who eat a lot of fast food as it is). Yikes.
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enderwillsaveusall
Member # 6227

- posted      Profile for Enderwillsaveusall   Email Enderwillsaveusall         Edit/Delete Post 
I no I no Im not a big fast food consumer. I simply wanted a milk shake and didnt feel like standing in line at applegates.
Posts: 81 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
Enderwilletc, have you read "Fast Food Nation"?
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
(Fast food joints have accepted credit cards for years.)

Um, not that I'd know...

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enderwillsaveusall
Member # 6227

Havent read it

Oo and not in Nj have they accepted credit cards till recently.

[ October 21, 2004, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: Enderwillsaveusall ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Now if people dont have the cash the can just charge it to their cards. The way people are in credit trouble im assuming people are going to charge whenever they can.
A large number of people using those machines are not really "charging" them per se. Many are using a check card of some kind, and many others carry no balance.

People who have credit trouble will not be in worse trouble because of this. They are living a lifestyle that requires more cash outflow than they have inflow to support it. For many, this is a temporary condition caused by a specific economic event (layoff, illness, etc.). For others, it's a lifestyle that denotes a sickness.

quote:
I simply wanted a milk shake and didnt feel like standing in line at applegates.
You can't get milkshakes at McDonalds. Just shakes. [Smile]

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I use my debit card to pay for almost everything. I very rarely have much cash on me, and sometimes go for a week without any at all, so I like it when places take "credit cards" since my debit card can also work as a credit card.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Eljay, our nearest McD's only recently added credit cards for payment. I have never used one there, but I don't mind. Often I only have my bank card and no cash. ::shrugs::
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
McDonald's started accepting credit cards in response to I believe Wendy's doing it first. I think its funnier that they now have ATGoldenArches.

Anyone who gets in credit trouble because they charge fast food has virtually no money to start with and/or eats way too much fast food. Or I suppose they're buying fast food for too many people.

Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Fast Food Nation was a terrible book.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. Guess MN was ahead of the curve.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
As has been mentioned, fast food has been accepting credit cards for quite a while.

One thing that I've seen more of recently, and that's really creeped me out, are vending machines that require a credit or debit card. No coin or dollar slots. Only a card scanner. They seem to be popping up mostly in motels and hotels, but I've seen a few in malls.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
i can't stand it when a fast food restaurant doesn't take cards. I use my debit card for everything and I rarely have cash with me. The rare business that doesn't take anything but cash anymore has to be worth it, because I have to go out of my way to get a $20 out of an ATM just to shop there.

I think using your credit card at fast food joints when you can't afford it is a symptom of much bigger spending habit problems.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I use my credit card as a check card. I charge everything to it, and then pay it back at the end of the month. I don't carry a balance from month to month. It is just a lot easier to pay for everything at once and not have to worry about cash or checks when you buy things.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Since all but one of my credit cards gives substantial cash back -- usually on the order of two to three percent -- I charge everything I can, thus eliminating the need to carry anything so useless as cash. And since I pay our balances monthly, we're essentially being paid to use the cards.

[ October 21, 2004, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
Large chocolate shake at McDonald's = 1160 calories. That's almost as much as a large Big Mac meal (1390 calories).

Edit: not sure why I went with MacDonald's as a spelling, sheesh.

[ October 21, 2004, 06:54 PM: Message edited by: Sharpie ]

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you'd be surprised by the number of people who pay for everything by credit. All of my income is directly deposited into my bank account, so it just makes more sense to me to charge everything and pay it off at the end of the month than it does to go sit in line at the bank to withdraw cash. I haven't had to step into the bank in months. Now if I could just get the credit card company to stop embarrassing me by randomly declining my card because of "suspicious behavior" I'd be set...
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
McDonald's doesn't have milkshakes, they have yogurtshakes. (eeeeewwww [Angst] )

The McDonalds near me doesn't take credit (I live in NJ)

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with afr, though, as a good conspiracy theorist, I really shouldn't be. [Angst]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
The McDonalds near me doesn't take credit cards (Sri Lanka), but they DO have McBiryani and McRice instead of fries with your big mac. And they have chili & garlic ketchup in addition to regular ketchup. Chili & garlic ketchup - yum!
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I use my credit card as a check card. I charge everything to it, and then pay it back at the end of the month. I don't carry a balance from month to month. It is just a lot easier to pay for everything at once and not have to worry about cash or checks when you buy things.
We do this, too, wherever credit cards are accepted. It's very convenient, as long as you don't incur finance charges.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
McDonald's doesn't have milkshakes, they have yogurtshakes
Actually, they're seaweedshakes.

Carrageenan

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
You know instant tax returns (The people doing this pay less than the return is worth and then pocket the rest) being given out in gift cards to Rent-A-Center is something to get worked up about. This, yeah, not so much.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the reason they started was because of the number of people who use check cards as opposed to carrying around cash. I'm one of these people. But uhh, this would probably be a funny comercial...

"French Fries at MacDonalds- 99 Cents
Regular Hamburger at MacDonalds- 79 cents
6 more Regular Hamburgers at MacDonalds because one of them isn't enough to feed a fruit bat- $4.74.
Getting fat on Credit...Priceless"

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't it cost stores something like 50 cents to proccess a credit card? At someplace like MacDonald's where things generally cost about a dollar this doesn't seem to make much sense.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, usually a percentage. I think it's 1.5-3%, depending on the card (AmEx is the most, which is why many retailers won't take it).
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on the contract and the type of transaction you're processing. For example, in Canada, it tends to be a fixed rate per interac transaction (bank cards) ie $0.50 per and percentage for credit cards. But credit cards can also be a fixed fee plus percentage. Depends on the size of the business, how many transactions they process, the dollar value of the transactions, and how good they are at negotiating the rates.

(used to be an accountant.)

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*defers to the expert* [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Wise move, rivka. [Big Grin]
rivka
Member # 4859

Mah momma didn' raise no stoopid chillin'.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

My momma did. One's my sister, the other's my other brother. [ROFL]
rivka
Member # 4859

Ah, sibling love. My sibs aren't stupid . . . merely annoying as heck. (Except for one brother, who should be nominated for sainthood, or perhaps angel-status.)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.