FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So my son is reading "The Illiad", and he says,

Author Topic: So my son is reading "The Illiad", and he says,
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
"Paris was pretty stupid"
"Why?", I ask.
"If he had just cut the golden apple into thirds, and given a third to each goddess he could have had riches, prowess in battle, a pretty wife and he would have prevented the Trojan War".
Very odd kid.

Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
He's thinking "outside the box" or "critically" which is good to a large extent (it can be overdone).

But as to the apple, it was golden in color, or also substance? It may have been hard to cut up.

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
if It was pure gold it should be pretty easy to cut.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you really think those women would have been happy with that??
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
He isn't old enough to understand that the ony thing worse than having 2 goddesses mad at him is having all 3 mad....

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
If Paris was smart he would've had two more apples made (or found if they weren't made of gold) and then made a speeh about how each one was the most beautiful and yadda yadda yadda...

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
He has to learn that logic and rational thought have no place in Greek Mythology.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
.... or in dealings with women. [Razz]
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
Darn it... vwiggin got to it first. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't stand Paris. He is a weeny. But I went and I found out what happened to him after the Iliad, and this is what did:

A man called Philoctetes came to the battle and he had Hercules' poisoned arrows, and he shot Paris with one of them. And Paris cried because he had been shot, and he went to the nymph Oenone, whom he had dumped for Helen, and asked her nicely to heal him, and she said NO and he died.

That makes me happy.

Jen

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
Jen,

That would make you happy. I swear, you and Anna are so alike it's SCARY.

Although I do agree, Paris was a wuss.

And your son, Romany, is a genius, so don't worry too much about him. It sounds like he has the potential to be a great 'Racker.

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, I hated Paris. They needed to make him a lot more pathetic in the movie. That would've made a really cynical point about international politics, I think, if a huge war was fought over that weenie minus divine intervention.

[ October 22, 2004, 01:15 AM: Message edited by: Book ]

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HonoreDB
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for HonoreDB   Email HonoreDB         Edit/Delete Post 
Weird, I just turned directly from preparing for an Iliad discussion group tomorrow to Hatrack.

That actually does sound like a Greek-type solution. They do have pairs of legends in which wise/cunning and strong types each face similar challenges, and deal with them differently. Hercules and Sisyphos each had to deal seperately with the same (or a very similar) supernatural thief. Sisyphos came up with a clever technological solution to foil him peacefully. Hercules invited him up to a tall tower and pushed him off.

In the Iliad, Paris's response to charges of weeniness is that the Gods made him pretty, as they made others strong or valorous. Even Helen is somewhat contemptuous of that idea, though.

Posts: 535 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hercules and Sisyphos each had to deal seperately with the same (or a very similar) supernatural thief. Sisyphos came up with a clever technological solution to foil him peacefully. Hercules invited him up to a tall tower and pushed him off.
And yet Sisyphos is the one pushing the boulder up a mountain for eternity, while Heracles is sitting on Olympos. Funny ole' world.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
What were the prizes the other two godesses offered? I thought he chose Aprhodite because she offered Helen.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I agree, I hated Paris. They needed to make him a lot more pathetic in the movie.

Having him played by that poncy elf wasn't pathetic enough?

Pooka- Hera offered him wealth, and Athena offered him prowess in battle.

I did try to explain to him that that equitable solution probably wouldn't work, and his child's eye view was "So, no matter how equally Paris cut the apple, each goddess would have said another goddess got the biggest piece?"
Greek mythology he mostly gets, but not women.
It's very cool to have such a weird kid.

Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like he gets women just fine. [Evil] (Bad Dagonee! Bad!)

It always amazed me that apparantly the godesses didn't care if they were really the most beautiful, as long as some easily-bribed idiot declared them to be the most beautiful.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He isn't old enough to understand that the ony thing worse than having 2 goddesses mad at him is having all 3 mad....

Best laugh of the day.
Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't Sisy do something else to warrant his pushing a boulder? Something about being too clever and chopping up his family to serve the gods for a meal?

As for the vanity of Goddesses - well, yeah. How many women just want a man to proclaim them the most beautiful, wonder and glorious thing he has ever seen? Mind you, it's the shallow flattery they want, not the legal definitions and legitimate comparisons.

I think Homer summed up women pretty accurately, all in all. [Razz] (fleeing now)

-Trevor

Edit: Romany, I think your child gets women just fine. I don't predict wonders for his dating life, but he understands the concept. [Big Grin]

[ October 22, 2004, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: TMedina ]

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.