FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Personal Escaping

Author Topic: Personal Escaping
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
I had another thought.

We all need to "take a small break" from life sometimes.

By "Small Break" I mean just have some time to yourself.

Some people go to a bar to escape. Some people escape into a book. Some people watch a movie. Some go jogging. Some go for a drive. Some watch T.V. Some write.

What are some of the things you do to "get away" on mental vacations and which are your favorite/do you do most often?

For me, I like to read, but get burned out on it after a while sometimes. I also love film and screenwriting. I also enjoy Hatrack.

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Hatrack. Sports (watching them). Reading. Writing. Walt Disney World. Movies. Cooking. Eating (okay, in all truthfulness, eating belongs earlier in this list, but why be truthful?)

Long moonlit walks on the beach.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
I take a warm bath with my radio on in the background.

If that doesn't work, I curl up in my bed under my blankets and stare into space.

Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
HAtrack, of course...I read a ton of books, mostly fantasy; I play video games; I play pool.

I love to drive, too......so Jenni and I take trips to see my family as much as we can. We also love to spend time with her family, particularily the neices and nephew, and her mom.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to play games on the computer, but life took that time away. I also like watching sports...in a group of my Family. Just not the same by myself.

True Blue baby!

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dread pirate romany
Member # 6869

- posted      Profile for dread pirate romany   Email dread pirate romany         Edit/Delete Post 
Reading, the internet, live music hopefully once a month, and the Ren Faire.
Posts: 1021 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
Go somewhere with water. This can be sitting by a creek or fountain, walking in the rain, swimming, or just taking a really long shower. As long as it's water, preferably moving, although still will do in a pinch.

Being in high places, like balconies or mountains or a tree or rooftops or the top bunk of a bunk bed. If nothing else is available then just sitting on top of a dryer or kitchen counter works.

Music (listening to it, as I am not a musician by any means).

I used to do a lot of writing, but I really haven't in the past two years.

When I was kind of depressed last fall I just slept all the time and that was an escape.

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Ophelia, You sure being up high was the only reason you were sitting on that dryer? Does Ben know about this little "habit" of yours?
[Wink]
AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I've ever sat on the dryer here. Our laundry room is not an extremely comfortable place.
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL [Evil]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Hatrack; cross stitching (and now I'm getting into Hardanger as well); reading sci-fi/fantasy; movies; music
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Stare at the wall. Then bang my head on it. Then stare at it some more.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WishfulWiggin
Member # 6823

- posted      Profile for WishfulWiggin   Email WishfulWiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
staring into space, mindless computer junk, reading, sleeping, getting away from it (most likely going outside or out of the room), writing (if one calls it that), push ups
Posts: 208 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I drown myself in music.
I get drunk off of it and I read and make up stories all the time.
I also play video games and games like Sims 2.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
Read. Headphones on, listening to jazz. TV. Read. Embarrass myself on Hatrack...

[ October 22, 2004, 12:25 AM: Message edited by: Cashew ]

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Read. Write. Do arithmatic.

Oh wait. That's school. [Wall Bash]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
I watch a movie, read a book, or write in my head. Right now in astronomy we're talking about all the ways the world will inevitably end, much of them the fault of mankind, and we're also talking about how the universe as a whole will end. And I'm also reading Hobbes right now for Political Theory, right when I need something human and unscientific to pick me up, and instead I'm getting b*tch slapped back to the ground (because I've always believed that, regardless of whether there is a God, there is good and evil).

So I fiddle around with fantasy. I think, "Wouldn't it be cool/nice/great if..." and then I'm off. Sometime it's how I get to sleep at night.

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Read or else randomly bump on another forum I'm on where it's not only allowed it's encouraged! I'm becoming addicted, it's very bad for me.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Read, pick around on the guitar, watch some stupid show on TV. Check to see how many threads I've killed here, or respond to a thread in an effort to talk to myself.

I rarely get more free time than I know what to do with. My "escape" strategies are very carefully calculated to help me wind down and rejuvenate in the few minutes or hours that I have for myself.

I have lost all tolerance for video games, especially those that make me think hard for long periods of time. Playing something like Sim City would burn me out and make me majorly stressed about wasting so much time. Brain time is too precious. Time in general is too precious.

Which is why I wrote this post when I should be going to bed, of course.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
listen to music, play diablo II, read, drive somewhere random, work on truck, run, sleep.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Cashew, you seem like a good egg--er, nut. I know you're not quite new, but I haven't seen you post much before the last day or so, so welcome! I hope you enjoy it here, and I hope you stay. [Smile]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
quid, you should stop using that smilie (smiley?)

[ October 22, 2004, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: Kama ]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
I read, knit, hang out in bookstores/cafes, or go to the gym and go swimming. I do that 3-4 times a week anyway, for exercise, but I actually find myself looking forward to it sometimes. It's almost like sensory deprivation, very solitary, very soothing.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I read, play computer games, watch movies, take a hot bath, go for a drive or walk, do beadwork.

I sometimes have this fantasy of getting in my car, randomly picking a direction and just driving wherever the road takes me for about a month.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Watch football (American, thank you very much).
Watch movies.
Cook.

Sometimes, if things get to be too much, I'll do more than one of those at once... [Wink]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I go through phases. For several months now, it's been Diablo II. I actually have more time for it now, because when the baby won't sleep, my wife just crashes and I sit at the computer with the baby on my lap.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig avoiding landmarks
Member # 6792

- posted      Profile for Danzig avoiding landmarks           Edit/Delete Post 
Books, Internet, music, drugs, and combinations of the above.
Posts: 281 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I read Lucy Maud Montgomery books, sew, cook, browse for recipes on Recipezaar or listen to old shows on the A Prairie Home Companion website.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Write. Read. Play music (as in play it myself, not on a player, although I do that too). Hatrack.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.