FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Costume help, or - constructing the impossible

Author Topic: Costume help, or - constructing the impossible
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
My son's class is having a party of sorts during which they are supposed to come as their favorite character from a book. Who does my boy pick? No easy Tom Sawyer, that's for sure. This is what he wants to be. I don't want to disappoint him, but I have no clue how to make this happen. Any suggestions?

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Beat him with a stick until he changes his mind?
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
A Darth Vader mask painted red and some red sweatclothes painted black to look like the ridges on the bionicle?

Good luck!

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] Aren't kids fun?

I have no advice - I'm not creative. But I'll bet dkw could come with some great ideas for you.

FG
(EDIT: yeah - or Christy. I posted before seeing any replies)

[ October 22, 2004, 08:56 AM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a character from a book?
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

MY idea was a good one.

:pouts:

Inspiration by corporal punishment is highly underrated.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, they have a whole little series. Of course, we adults know that this is the result of Lego trying to make more money and capitalize on its toys, but hey, the boy likes them.

Scott, I tried beating him, but I only had a fly swatter, not a stick. Perhaps the stick is the key to it.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Turn the flyswatter around so you beat him with the wire portion, and not the flimsy plastic paddy thing.

But a stick would work better. I recommend Willow.

:pictures a kid being hit on the back by Willow:

Good fun for everyone.

[ October 22, 2004, 09:01 AM: Message edited by: Scott R ]

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to be a bit more elaborate...

It kinda looks like he's covered in egg cartons. You could collect egg cartons from all your neighbors, since you don't have time to eat that many eggs yourself, spray paint them red and gray, (gray at the joints) and affix them to the red sweatsuit. Well, to the front and outside of the legs, outside of the arms... use the tops of the cartons to make the shoulder things, kind give them gentle pressure on each end until they pop up a little in the middle.

[Big Grin] Good luck, however you decide to do it.

[ October 22, 2004, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You could collect egg cartons from all your neighbors, since you don't have time to eat that many eggs yourself,
Halloween is coming up. You don't think she could find something to do with all those eggs on Halloween?

I suggest Scott's house.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

Eljay is MUCH more creative [Smile]
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

Ooh. Actually egg crates might be a good idea. How would I attach them, though?

space opera

Scott R
Member # 567

I just talked about how I would enjoy beating children with Willow.

And I LIKE most kids.

Sure. Come on. Egg my house. Find out what happens to creatures I DON'T like.

zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
You could get elastic straps, glue velcro to the ends and paint them red.

I think I could come up with a way to make the disc launcher, but something tells me the school might not like that idea.

Scott, I thought you meant this Willow.. Your Willow makes things different. My apologies for encouraging acts of petty vandalism against your house.

[ October 22, 2004, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: zgator ]

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

Actually, looks like they sell them on
ebay

Here's a fansite where you might get some ideas.

Space Opera
Member # 6504

Thanks Christy! That last link will be particularly helpful.

space opera

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Buy red ductape. Use the egg crates put, him in all red clothing and they use red duct tape and ductape the egg crates directly to him. Will probably be easier for him to move around that way anyway. Then when he's tired take the whole mess off tearing the duct tape and chuck it in the garbage.

Oh yeah and spray paint a darthvader mask like they said.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Homemade costumes are much more fun.

But if you do get in a time/energy pinch and have the cash for it, that eBay outfit is going for about $42 total, including shipping. It is a "buy now" option, so the price is guaranteed if you order it, unlike a standard auction.

[Sometimes when I try to make something, it ends up being a lot more expensive than I expected. On the other hand, if I do have any time and energy for it, making costumes is definitely the way to go.]

[ October 22, 2004, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: Sara Sasse ]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmkaProblemka
Member # 6495

- posted      Profile for AmkaProblemka   Email AmkaProblemka         Edit/Delete Post 
You could also use a pair of red feet pajamas as a base that you work off of. I mention this, because being one piece, they will be warm when your son goes trick or treating. If you need to, you could cut the feet out of the pajamas, or they might fit into some black snow boots (another purchase that would be useful beyond the costume).

One note: red duct tape, from experience, has fumes that can make one feel kind of sick. I'm not sure if they are harmful, but the fumes are kind of a sick, chemical sweet.

For the helmet, you could start out with a milk carton. Cut out the handle part. Shape edges as desired, paint red. Be careful of the paint, some kinds will make the plastic melt. Acrylic should be fine, if I remember correctly. Line with fleece or something soft to make comfortable. Use plastic from more than one carton to add some detail.

You could also use the same plastic from milk cartons to mold the armor part of your costume.

I would just make a helmet without the mask, because masks are against the rules in our school at least, and can also obstruct vision during regular trick or treating. Then you can paint his face. If you really want mouthpiece part, you could color a dust mask with red marker. Be careful of the marker you use, so it doesn't have nasty fumes either. I say marker, because paint would make it impossible to breath through the dust mask.

I've also used paper mache for armor. Very moldable, great medium to work with, and can be extremely stiff. One of my layers is always fabric to prevent tearing. But you probably don't have enough time for that. You may still be able to come up with something that works very well with just red poster board. Spraying it with a sealer after you've constructed it will help it be more water resistant and perhaps a bit stiffer.

Posts: 438 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.