FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 350 metric tons of explosives missing (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: 350 metric tons of explosives missing
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm surprised there's no topic on this yet. It's everywhere this morning.

BBC

From reading through several articles, it seems that NYTimes broke the story yesterday. The Iraqi government told the IAEA on Oct 10th that the explosives from Al Qaqaa have gone missing. The IAEA is the group of UN inspectors who were monitoring the explosives before the war, and haven't been allowed in since the war began. The US Govt found out on Oct 15th. It seems that the explosives were stolen some time since the war began, maybe during the beginning of the looting. But I haven't seen anything definite (can anyone find this?). The IAEA had warned the US several times about the importance of securing Al Qaqaa.

The explosives include HMX and RDX, though I haven't seen numbers on how much of each kind. Suffice to say, 350 tons is enough to blow up a lot of things.

assorted articles

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
So what's new? The US's own military inspectors told US military commanders that radioactive material kept at an Iraqi test site needed to be guarded. The advice was ignored, and the site was looted.

The overwhelming majority of US&Coalition casualties are due to Rumsfeld's "let the Iraqis celebrate their freedom" attitude toward looting. Military armament and munitions were stolen out of Iraqi armories and being openly hawked in the street markets for pennies on dollars within a few days after the fall of Baghdad.

More cynicly, it was the DubyaAdministration attitude of "the more destruction&chaos in Iraq, the more we can loot America to enrich our friends".

[ October 25, 2004, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to post a topic on it. With a picture of the headlines posted on Yahoo. Under this one it said that Bush says he can keep America safe.
I thought that was painfully ironic.
But seriously, WHY IN THE HELL WERE THEY NOT PROTECTING THIS SITE?!!

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

Hey aspectre, did you change your post a lot? It looks very different from what I read the first time around.
Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait a second...

quote:
The overwhelming majority of US&Coalition casualties are due to Rumsfeld's "let the Iraqis celebrate their freedom" attitude toward looting. Military armament and munitions were stolen out of Iraqi armories and being openly hawked in the street markets for pennies on dollars within a few days after the fall of Baghdad.

More cynicly, it was the DubyaAdministration attitude of "the more destruction&chaos in Iraq, the more we can loot America to enrich our friends".

WHAT?!?! YOU HAVE GOT TO BE FREAKING KIDDING ME!?
You mean to tell me they knew about this and DID NOTHING ABOUT IT?! [Mad]
[Wall Bash]

How the heck do they get these links?

[ October 25, 2004, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: Synesthesia ]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

quote:
The Iraqi letter to IAEA identified the vanished explosives as containing 194.7 metric tons of HMX, or "high melting point explosive," 141.2 metric tons of RDX, or "rapid detonation explosive," among other designations, and 5.8 metric tons of PETN, or "pentaerythritol tetranitrate."
better article

quote:
The senior administration official downplayed the importance of the missing explosives, describing them as dangerous material but "stuff you can buy anywhere." The official added that the administration did not see this necessarily as a "proliferation risk."
[Confused]
signal
Member # 6828

- posted      Profile for signal   Email signal         Edit/Delete Post 
lol, W [Eek!] W! Un-freakin-believable. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone NOT read the articles? They were under the control of the IAEA until they what?

They LEFT before the war in Iraq even began (Read the CNN article). So then they were under the control of WHO until the invasion began?

Were the weapons even THERE after we invaded?

So the US was unable to get to them and secure them in time after the Invasion began?

I dunno, I'll have to see other articles before I take the Liberal Media stance on this one.

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Not the phrase "Liberal Media" again. *Groans*
dabbler
Member # 6443

quote:
The explosives -- considered powerful enough to demolish buildings or detonate nuclear warheads -- were under IAEA control until the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq in March 2003. IAEA workers left the country before the fighting began.

CStroman
Member # 6872

Exactly Dabbler. Exactly.
Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

If I did my calculations correctly (someone can check me here), RDX has a density of 1.806 g/cc which gives 142 tons of RDX a volume of 78.6 cubic meters.

That's like 3 meters by 3 meters by 8.7 meters of pure RDX powder.

dabbler
Member # 6443

So you're going to brush it aside because it might not be the US's fault?
dabbler
Member # 6443

quote:
They are thought to have been taken from the al-Qaqaa complex, 25km (16 miles south of Baghdad, at some point after 9 April 2003. . . It says the coalition forces were specifically told to keep the material secured.
Sounds like they're pretty sure it was after the invasion. Course, neither you nor I have read the actual report.

*Edit: typo

[ October 25, 2004, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: dabbler ]

Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't the IAEA leave Iraq because of the imminent invasion?
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

I haven't brushed anything aside, but I am surely not going to swallow a report like that which is missing alot of important details.

I don't think a rational person should.

dabbler
Member # 6443

I have no idea what kind of response you'd want, then. I made a topic on it. I found it astounding. But I haven't been ranting, and I've been doing a minor amount of finger pointing.

It's news. And it's worthy news.

CStroman
Member # 6872

How about "NO" finger pointing until you have all the facts in order. I'm not pointing the finger of blame on anyone.

Only an idiot (like John Kerry) would try to affix blame to someone with a knee jerk reaction, without having all the facts. What happens if it was the Iraqi Government's fault that it wasn't protected?

Think Kerry will open his big mouth and say the same things about their government if that's the case as he has about Bush being responsible?

Kerry has tried to place blame "early" before and gotten caught wrong (flu vaccine). You'd think he'd have learned a lesson. Yesterday's speeches (or today's) show he hasn't.

dabbler
Member # 6443

Actually, I think I've done no finger pointing. I've just been quoting articles, for the most part. That way it's harder to get blamed for "misinterpreting" or misleading.

And I haven't brought up Kerry's response at all.

You are stirring up trouble.

CStroman
Member # 6872

quote:
Actually, I think I've done no finger pointing.
Ok.

quote:
and I've been doing a minor amount of finger pointing.

Ok.

quote:
And I haven't brought up Kerry's response at all.

Kerry's response is like the 3rd paragraph in the article you posted. In fact it's in about every article linked on Google as well.

All I'm saying is put the trigger happy fingers back in their fists until we know more.

John Kerry is the one with the problem at the moment if he's wrong. Bush, if he's right. Iraq if they were responsible.

So until we know, let's hold off placing blame.

EDIT: I'm not blasting you. I'm blasting the "jump to conclusions" about who's responsible.

[ October 25, 2004, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: CStroman ]

dabbler
Member # 6443

Sounds fine. Kerry's mentioned because he's made a statement. Bush hasn't made a statement (at least, not this morning). Kerry's probably going off of some summary. Bad for him if he's assuming things that are wrong.
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Only an idiot (like John Kerry) would try to affix blame to someone with a knee jerk reaction, without having all the facts. What happens if it was the Iraqi Government's fault that it wasn't protected?

Do you really think it's alright to call someone who is clearly not an idiot an idiot?
Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Lets see, that's how many semis of explosives?
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

here's a handy page of explosives information. I don't really know much about the energy calculations, though. Play with them if you'd like.

The HMX comes out to 102.5 cubic meters. That's about 3 meters by 3 meters by 11.3 meters. Or 5 by 5 by 4.

[ October 25, 2004, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: dabbler ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
From a quick scan of dabbler's figures on size, it doesn't sound like more than two semis worth in volume.

No idea how many tons a semi can haul, though.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

From a random "manual for environmental calculation of international freight transport" it seems that the usual is around 40 tons.

Which would make for around 9 freight trucks of explosives. But more likely is that they jam-packed what they could, so fewer than that. Are semi-trucks common in Iraq? I have no clue.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
So this stuff is denser than a lot of stuff shipped in trucks.

Although there may be lots of packing around individual portions of the explosives that would add bulk. Are yor figures for the raw, unpackaged material?

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

Yeah, raw unpackaged stuff. Just chemical equation number crunching. Someone should check to agree with my numbers.

I was curious, because things like "350 metric tons" doesn't really mean anything in the average person's visual consciousness. But ballpark figures for volume are nice.

dabbler
Member # 6443

Water's 1 gram/cc and aluminum is 2.7 g/cc
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
So.... we spent $120+ billion, over 1000 American lives, and ruined out relationships abroad to HELP the terrorists get more weaponry?

That certainly wasn't the deal we bought into.... (Not that I've ever bought into it [Wink] )

[ October 25, 2004, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: Xaposert ]

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

quote:
That certainly wasn't the deal we bought into.... (Not that I've ever bought into it )

That's good, because that was never the deal offered or aimed for. [Wink]
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't the first time the IAEA has left sensitive stuff lying around for our enemies to find. Remember that is how North Korea got the bomb.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

No, see you're wrong. According to Mr. Kerry (and the Media "spin") it's Bush's fault that the IAEA left the stuff unattended before the invasion. So if the stuff was taken during the first weeks of the invasion, it's all Bush's fault.
Xaposert
Member # 1612

Yup, you can't really blame the IAEA for us invading Iraq against their wishes, preventing them from doing their job, and failing to protect the sites ourselves. We were warned of that danger before the war and we invaded anyway.

[ October 25, 2004, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: Xaposert ]

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

You forgot to blame Bush Xapo.
Xaposert
Member # 1612

Well, I think that goes without saying... plus, you said it already!
dabbler
Member # 6443

Actually, the Bush administration says it's the Iraqi government's problem now.
CStroman
Member # 6872

Well somebody had to say it.
CStroman
Member # 6872

quote:
Actually, the Bush administration says it's the Iraqi government's problem now.
LIES! All lies! Bush knew all along they were missing. In fact, I think he sold them to Saudi Royal Family since they're such close friends and all ya'know.

[ October 25, 2004, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: CStroman ]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked this Timeline that was published in the Boston news.

They have a huge window they could have disappeared during. Why are they bringing this up to try to pin on Bush at this time? (rhetorical question).

Obviously they could have been moved long before our victory over Husseim's regieme.

Farmgirl

[ October 25, 2004, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
WHAT?!?! YOU HAVE GOT TO BE FREAKING KIDDING ME!?
You mean to tell me they knew about this and DID NOTHING ABOUT IT?

You know, that reminds me of the Afghanistan invasion.

Jonny

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

You're preaching to the choir Farmgirl. Thanks for the link though. [Wink]
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems most appropriate that the materials were moved during the open window between the inspectors leaving and the start of the war.

It doesn't take that long to load trucks and send them off. They couldn't have done it during the invasion and it would have been very, very risky to do it afterwards.

There's nothing like a surprise attack with plenty of forewarning...

But if these items were gone, I wonder what else has gone too?

Anyone feel like wrestling with this tarbaby?

Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

quote:
But if these items were gone, I wonder what else has gone too?

For the last time. There were no WMD's. Bush Lied (even though he didn't). He mislead everyone on purpose....blah, blah, blah... [Evil]

[ October 25, 2004, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: CStroman ]

Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
Or he waited around long enough after the inspectors left to give Saddam a chance to remove them.

This is a double-edged sword. And I don't believe it is done cutting.

Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

quote:
Or he waited around long enough after the inspectors left to give Saddam a chance to remove them.

No, no, no. Kerry speaks the truth! We "rushed" to war. We should have waited. 10 years of sporadic inspections was not enough time to figure out he didn't have them. I mean, just because he had "used" them before, doesn't mean he actually had them then. We all know he used them, but didn't actually have them...in fact I think he used them all so they were all gone.

Pffft...waited too long...we rushed to war after 10 years of waiting.

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

[Confused]
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

I think we saw someone's thought process just crinkle into a little ball of tin foil there...
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry FG, boston.com is owned by the Boston Globe, which is in turn owned by the New York Times! How do we KNOW there was a gap so large??

I'm going to wait for more confirmation before I take the Liberal Media stance on this!

[Wink]

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

Exactly. I fully expect Kerry to complain to the FCC that the article you presented was wrong and needs to be censored. We all know that Kerry said yesterday (or was it today) that Bush was responsible for those weapons disappearing and we know he only regurgitates the true news. So we know that article is false.

Kerry is of course correct regardless of the facts. [Evil]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.