FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I am becoming a Hyphenated-American

Author Topic: I am becoming a Hyphenated-American
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
When this trend began I saw it as a mistake by the minorities. Here were people setting themselves apart, and demanding a whole PC campaign that we honor their wishes.

Why, I wondered, must you claim allegiance to a subset of America over America itself.

I am an American. So are you. That should be enough.

Then I started getting into debates about the Christian basis of the USA. There are people who believe that historically, the US has been run and governed by Christians. As such, their beliefs and morality should be strictly adhered to by all Americans.

Oh, they are not promoting the forced conversion of non-believers. They only request that since thier fore-fathers are the TRUE American forefathers, that their code of morality be used for all American laws.

Suddenly I find myself not as American as my neigbor.

They have this image of a young man, white of skin, European in descent (England, Ireland, or Germany please. Maybe the Italians, but not many), married to a wife of similar looks and lineage, upper middle class with a home of their own in some major towns suburbs and 2.5 charge cards, with kids and crosses.

Those are the real Americans.

If you differ from any of those qualities, well, you are American, but you aren't the true American.

They label you. American's think this, but blacks think that. American's do this, but Asian's do that. Indians, New Yorkers, The Elderly all are fringe groups that don't quite match up to the standard of true Americans.

So these groups, realizing that they were already being set apart, decided to emphasize their American-ness.

Others called them Blacks, but they called themselves African American. The others got upset because they dared to give themselves their own name. The others got upset because they saw that American title as impossible. You couldn't be Black and a Real American. It didn't fit their image.

Over the past 30 years much has changed. More people are realizing that you can be black, or descended from Mexicans, Cubans, Thai's, Burmese, or anyone and still be a Real American.

The names stick because while the racism may be diminishing, there are still cultural differences. It is a handle like any name, and they have their uses, good and bad.

Well, I want to be the first to claim my own hyphenated name, to go against that image of the "Real American" that some people still have.

I am a NonChristian-American.

I do not attend church on Sundays.

I do not go to my minister for help.

I do not want to see the ten commandments posted as law in a court house I have to go to.

There are a lot of us out there. Some are Jewish. Some are Buddhist. Some are Islamic. Some don't have any formalized religion. Some are open to being Christians, if the Christians they meet are not of the scarey variety.

We may not even be a minority, which really scares some of the most vocal and dangerous Christian-Americans.

But mostly, we are Americans. We fight and die for our country. We vote and we care and we are proud of what it has accomplished and what it stands for.

If there are any other NonChristian-Americans out there, let me hear from you.

I'm proposing a million mana-less march to Washington for some time in spring.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
*raises hand*
I'm only Christain in a "You must purely emulate Jesus sense." But not in the sense of belonging to a specific church or faith.
Quite frankly a few aspects of organize Christain faith make me feel nervous and uneasy.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WishfulWiggin
Member # 6823

- posted      Profile for WishfulWiggin   Email WishfulWiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a NonChristian-American. I see what your trying to get at, and it is probably true, but it does not bother me. I believe I am as American as the next person. Yes, I probably do disagree with some Government policies more than Christains do, but I also conisider being non-conformist similar to being American.
Posts: 208 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
*raises hand*

That is all.

Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Defenestraitor
Member # 6907

- posted      Profile for Defenestraitor   Email Defenestraitor         Edit/Delete Post 
I know first-hand the ills of organized rel--
<-ducks
I'm with you, Dan!

[ October 25, 2004, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: Defenestraitor ]

Posts: 236 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a Christian-American.

I do attend church on Sundays.

I do go to my minister for help.

I do want to see the ten commandments posted in a court house I have to go to.

There are a lot of us out there. Some are Mormon. Some are Catholic. Some are Prostestant. Some don't have any formalized religion. Some are open to hugging non-Christians, if the non-Christians they meet are not of the scarey variety.

We may not even be a minority, which really scares some of the most vocal and dangerous Atheist-Americans.

(sorry -- I couldn't resist Dan - hyphen - Raven)

You know I luv ya! (and so does Jesus)

Farmgirl

[ October 25, 2004, 05:13 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess it just depends on "which side of the fence" you are on, how you view the other.
Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not an American, but I've met personally enough that'd be the ideal Americans aside for their Judaism.

Jonny

P.S. I empathise & sympathise entirely with your point, Dan_raven.

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
The irony is that a large segment of the American public see an increasingly hostile attitude towards religion in general and Christians in particular.

Who's right? Probably both sides to some degree.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, I'm with ya. Can I carry the banner?

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Well I get to add another one: Christian-American, African-American...

I wonder, if I went to France, would I just be French?

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.