FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Favorite rock instrumentals (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Favorite rock instrumentals
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
One other thing. There's a band that's always good for a wild and trippy instrumental, and it's been totally overlooked. I don't know how I've gone so long without bringing up Alan Parsons Project. I guess it stands to reason that they'd be so good, since Mr. Parsons produced the #2 selection on my original list. His own band has been responsible for such fantastic pieces as A Dream Within a Dream, The Fall of the House of Usher, I Robot, Genesis ch. 1 v. 32, The Gold Bug, The Ace of Swords, Sirius and Maammagamma. It would be a poor list without any of those on it.

[edit: Wow, this thread just went into page 2. I didn't give you people enough credit. I figured no one would know or care too much about instrumental works. But we've got a page clear full of solid recommendations. I've underestemated you once again. My hats off to the wise and cultured genii of Hatrack.]

[Hat]

[ October 27, 2004, 12:19 AM: Message edited by: Speed ]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Damn, did anyone mention Anagada De Vida (sp?) by Iron Butterfly?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida. You're absolutely right. I don't know how we could have got this far without that popping up. When I was a DJ, I used to love playing the 17 minute version of that song, and I got more requests for it than I'd have imagined. Brilliant piece of baroque music disguised as heavy metal. One of the few pieces from the bombastic post-Doors '60s that fully deserved such a running time. Well mentioned.

[edit: As an aside, Iron Butterfly deserves their one-hit-wonder status. I tried for years to like side one of that album, and I've finally given up. It's grating and irritating. I don't know how they did it...]

[ October 27, 2004, 10:52 AM: Message edited by: Speed ]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm shocked that I don't see any Led Zeppelin amywhere.

Battle of Evermore
The Song Remains the Same
Kashmir
All of my Love
Black Dog
Stairway to Heaven
Immigrant Song

And one to shock all
The Darkness by Disturbed. It is a slow song that you would not expect a numetal band to do.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Speed-
Ghenghis Khan is on the Killers album, which is one of my favorites by Iron Maiden. Its early stuff, different lineup then currently. Definetely worth checking out. Somewhere in Time may be their best album, though.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
Liquid Tension Experiment 2: Liquid Dreams

Tony Levin is awesome on bass!

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoy the Yes version of "The Firebird Suite." And I'm sure there's more, but I'm blanking.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keepsmilin
Member # 6607

- posted      Profile for keepsmilin   Email keepsmilin         Edit/Delete Post 
amen "stan the man," I was about to be shocked that no one mentioned my beloved zeppelin. All of their instrumentals are amazing.
Posts: 18 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

Don't forget Moby Dick.
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
LEd Zeppelin instrumentation, I'd go with Achilles Last Stand.
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Psycho Triad
Member # 3331

- posted      Profile for Psycho Triad   Email Psycho Triad         Edit/Delete Post 
Hotel California ~ The Eagles.
Most especially the Hell Freezes Over album.

Master Of Puppets ~ Metallica
has a nice instrumental interlude.

I saw someone mention Trans-Siberian Orchestra.
nearly any of their Christmas songs would work.

Crazy as always,
Psycho Triad

Posts: 271 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, TSO is quite good. My favorite is "Christmas Eve/Sarajevo" (which I've sometimes seen labeled as "The Mad Russian")

I went to sleep last night to my Santana self-defined greatest hits disk. The man is a genius.

The Who: Eminence Front - even though logically I know that the opening keyboard section was probably programmed in layers, I'm still stunned by it every time.

Personally, although I like Zeppelin's music, I think they were somewhat overrated. It was as if somebody decided that they were just the absolute ultimate band ever and that nobody could match up. And maybe I expect more of them as a result... With that said, though, The Immigrant Song is one of my favorites by them.

[ October 27, 2004, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: Goody Scrivener ]

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
"The Brazilian" by Genesis and "Cliffs of Dover" by Eric Johnson come to mind....
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Speed,
I remember first hearing "Jessica" on the radio and missing who it was. It hit me right in the middle of my music spot. I just love the Allmans.

Since I tend to like a bunch of jam bands, I would have to mention some bands like Max Creek, Railroad Earth, String Cheese Incident, Old Crow MEdicine Show, Donna the Buffalo, and Leftover Salmon.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
The melody intro in Jessica is great. Good music to drive to.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Wipeout deserves honorable mention in this thread.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
The Allman Brothers - In Memory of Elizabeth Reed (probably the greatest rock instrumental ever)
followed closely by: Cream (Eric Clapton) - Crossroads
followed by, in no particular order:
Frank Zappa - Burnt Weeny Sandwich, part 2; Holiday in Berlin, Full Blown;
Chicago - Poem 58;
Eric Clapton - Have You Ever Loved a Woman;
Peter Green - Love That Burns; I Loved Another Woman;
Led Zeppelin - I Can't Quit You Baby;
Neil Young - Like a Hurricane; Cortez the Killer;
Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
I should have included Hocus Pocus by Focus yesterday when I listed Frankenstein. For some reason those two songs are linked in my memory.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I own an old Kingsmen greatest hits album. Besides the great instrumental work in such songs as Louie Louie and Money and Death of an Angel and Under My Thumb, there are three purely instrumental songs that just rock: Night Train, Haunted Castle, and the piece de resistance, Peter Gunn. That last song prods buttock. I almost fell out of my chair when I learned that it was originally written by Mancini (who wrote stupendous instrumental stuff, but generally not performed as rock and roll).
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
God, I hate Hocus Pocus by Focus (can you say the name without the name of the band?)

[ October 27, 2004, 10:13 PM: Message edited by: Glenn Arnold ]

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

I just got a new album and there's an instrumental track on there that's so good that I had to resurrect this thread to add it on. So here's another addition to my list:
**Heat Miser by Massive Attack
If anyone's unfamiliar with them, they're a trip-hop group from England that was big in the '90s. The music is a mix of hip-hop, trance, reggae and jazz. It's unusual enough for a group associated with hip-hop to do an instrumental number that I might have added it anyway. In fact, this band has a few instrumental pieces, and they're all good, but this one is so stunning that I would have added it without that qualifier. Great, great tune.

It reminded me of some tracks that I can't believe I overlooked on my first go-round as well. One of my all-time favorite albums is Endtroducing... by DJ Shadow. He's a hip-hop DJ, and the entire album is sample-driven. Sounds a little fishy, but it's one of the best albums I own. Some of the tracks have vocals mixed in, but of the instrumental tracks, there are some that should be right at the top of the list. Such as:
**Building Steam With a Grain of Salt
**Changeling
**What Does Your Soul Look Like (Part 4)
**Stem/Long Stem
**Napalm Brain/Scatter Brain

There are some great instrumental (and vocal, for that matter) tracks off his follow-up album The Private Press as well. But I'll leave it at this for now.

And while we're on the topic of people who have managed to make instrumentals on hip-hop albums, a couple I have to put on the list for honourable mention are POW, Futterman's Rule, Ricky's Theme, Shambala and Sabrosa by The Beastie Boys.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.