FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Moby Dick (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Moby Dick
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Given that this forum is founded on interest in a particular author, and also the name of the forum: "books, films, etc." it seems like one of the classic novels might be discussed from time to time. We are a bunch of readers, aren't we?

Now, I happen to be really nuts about Moby Dick. And from time to time, I bring it up here. Like the thread on which movies should be remade, and so on.

Yet, aside from the suggestion that the movie was better than the book (by Alucard) I've never seen a response that even indicates that anyone here has ever read it.

Have you? And what did you think?

Rather than poisoning the thread with my own views, I'll stop here and discuss it more, further along...

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read it, and I really liked it. Ahab was of great interest to me (trying to figure out what made him tick as a character).

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, haven't read it.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WishfulWiggin
Member # 6823

- posted      Profile for WishfulWiggin   Email WishfulWiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read the novel completly, but I did read the story in comic book form, which I really enjoyed.
Posts: 208 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read it, and it was okay, I wasn't just totally thrilled by it. But, that was probably due to the fact that I read it on assignment for a class, and didn't choose to read it myself at that particular time. I might feel differently if I were to read it on my own.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
I hadn't ready Moby Dick until two years ago, when I had to for an early American lit. grad class. I had heard about how boring it was, and after suffering through Brockden Brown, Fenimore Cooper, Hawthorne (The Scarlet Letter, I mean; his short stories are much better), etc., I had low expectations.

Moby Dick is genius. Abso-frickin'-lutely genius: the subtle and enduring shift in tone from light-hearted to faintly menacing to dark; the parallel way Melville deftly moves Ishmael from the foreground to the background; the astounding free-play of form (novel, poem, song, drama, encyclopedia, etc.); the amazing ability to create characters that are both archetypal and realistic; the soaring, terrifying, beautiful prose; and the unequaled character of Ahab.

This is, hands down, the best American novel ever written. Mark Twain, Willa Cather, F. Scott Fitzgerald--not even close.

Read Moby Dick. If you've read it, read it again. If you haven't, repent and pick up a copy immediately (the Norton Critical Edition is a very fine one).

<grin> How's that for an encomium, Glenn?

Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
(After looking up encomium. Thanks for the new word)

That's a start. And I agree wholeheartedly.

What did you think of the two "pre- chapters" - the etymology (consumptive usher to a grammar school) and the extracts (Sub-sub-librarian)?

I found them critical to understanding (well, my understanding) of what Mellville was trying to accomplish with the book.

And I should also throw out here (it might make the thread more lively, or just derail it) What is the meaning of the name: "Moby Dick"?

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

I should maybe read a critical edition. I picked up the TOR paperback because it was only $3.99. Gotta love the public domain. But Poor Mr. Mellville.

In any case don't anyone buy an abridged edition.

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't yet read Moby Dick yet. But I kind of like Brockden Brown.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh sorry, I thought this thread was about me.

::walks out::

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Yeah, that's what I was afraid would happen.
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
*sings*

"Moby Dick, Moby Dick the musical, Moby Dick, a whale of a tale..."

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Well, let me say this:

The best movie version of "Moby Dick" is Tim Burton's "Big Fish," which of course, is not based on Moby Dick at all, but essentially deals with the same issue: The truth in telling an untrue tale.

Of course, the book is still better than the movie.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Moby Dick is one of my all time favorite books. I know many people that do not like it, and I seriously cannot understand not liking this book. It just boggles my mind. Oh well, to each his own.

For me, Moby Dick works first as a psychological thriller. I mean, you have the insane Ahab and you have this malevolent whale. They are locked in this eternal struggle and everyone else is just fodder.

But it works at a totally other level too. You've got Ishmael and the harpooner and the whole description of what it was like to be a sailor on a whaling vessel. Totally absorbing narrative, IMHO.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
never read it...which is surprising, since I have read most of the 'classics'

I'll have to pick it up.

I really enjoyed Kipling's 'Captains Courageous'

It was another great tail of life at see.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite passage in Moby Dick has got to be "Iceberg!"
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
philistine!
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

[Big Grin] What can I say? It was Shannon Doeherty's greatest role.

[ October 26, 2004, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Moby Dick was terrific. The only reason people don't see this is because of the excessive discussions of cetology. And yeah, they do drag. But the sections between are fantastic, especially once they are in open water. I think maybe a lot of people just don't get far enough into the book and are intimidated by the cetology. If you just skim through that (unless you really want to learn a lot of nineteenth century whale facts *shrug*) the remaining book is engaging, interesting, and well written. Even if you don't like "classics," if you like fantasy novels, say, you should like this book.

What this book needs is a good editor, but, of course, since it is a "classic," it doesn't get it.

I wrote one of my best grad school papers on free will in Moby Dick.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
My HS senior year paper was on Moby Dick and existentialism. I had lots of valid points, I thought, but a high school library doesn't exactly have relevant sources, so I would up either borrowing them from my mom's old grad school pile or (being as there were only two of those) making them up entirely.

I (and I think the rest of my senior class) still have no idea what I got on that paper (she was a horrible teacher).

In response to Icarus- Yeah, sometimes it read like a whaling textbook.

[ October 26, 2004, 10:58 PM: Message edited by: Book ]

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I was lucky enough to find a concordance, and so I looked for particular phrases and word choices, and analyzed the implications of what I found.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Book and Icarus:

Can you summarize your papers?

To me, the plot (or narrative) is almost irrelevant. It's merely something to hang Mellville's major purpose on. Mellville even jokes about how little narrative there is in the book (ch 45).

What's important isn't what the story is about, it's the STORY that's important. That's why he tells it in so many different ways. It's why he dwells on the exchange of mail from boat to boat. It's why it's so important that only Ishmael is left to tell the story in the end, so that it can't be corroborated. We either beleive it, because Ishmael has gone to such great lengths to make the story credible, or we disbelieve, because the story is so fantastic. But we have no evidence either way.

It's too bad no one had coined the term "meme" in time for Mellville to use it.

BTW I found all the cetology fascinating. Not boring at all. And it's necessary if Ishmael's story is to be found credible, since it validates his experience as a whaler.

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

I guess I missed the "iceberg" reference.
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone called me Dick once and that just ruined the whole book for me.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

quote:
(unless you really want to learn a lot of nineteenth century whale facts *shrug*)
Facts are facts. The science holds true today. In fact, we wouldn't know nearly as much as we know about whales if it wasn't for the whaling industry. Some irony there.

I'd love to see someone make a movie of Moby Dick using Melville's perspective on issues that have been brought out by the "save the whales" movement. The guy was way ahead of his time on that score.

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

I'll repost the question:

Does anyone have any idea what the significance of the name Moby Dick? It seems like it should be really important, but I have no idea.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
I guess I missed the "iceberg" reference.
In the movie "Heathers," Shannon Doherty's character walks around all angsty with a copy of Moby Dick, underlining the profound parts. When Christian Slater and Winona Ryder talk about killing her, they talk about underlining just the word "Iceberg" on one page, and then about the priest reading a whole bunch into it.

Dagonee

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

I must have her copy. Except mine is full of post-it notes full of things that came into my head as I read.

So if anyone's planning on killing me, they will have to learn to forge my handwriting.

Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Dags, it was the word "eskimo". Heathers has been one of my favorite movies since high school. [Big Grin]

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Dag, I thought you were making a joke about Titanic

Shoot.

cetology? Sheesh, the book is short. There's not that much in there about whales per se. The whaling industry was harsh and that's the backdrop for the story. It's brilliant!

Moby means "big" I believe, in 19th century slang.

Dick is a generic name for a man. Like how people might use John, Dick or Harry.

or Bob.

Moby Bob!

Now there's a story worth blubbering over!

Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

I believe that is spelled "esquimeaux."
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Actually, Dags, it was the word "eskimo". Heathers has been one of my favorite movies since high school.
Doh! You're right.

Then it was a joke about Titanic.

Yeah, that's the ticket.

Dagonee

Icarus
Member # 3162

Eh? Sorry, I missed the question. It was basically just about the sense of preordination in Moby Dick, as I recall, but, to be honest, it's been so long since I wrote it that I can't be too much more specific than that. What made it different from other lit papers I had written was that instead of merely focusing on major plot elements, I focused on how subtle cues in the language emphasized the sense of fate. Particular word choices he made and stuff. I doubt I could find this paper now.
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yet, aside from the suggestion that the movie was better than the book (by Alucard) I've never seen a response that even indicates that anyone here has ever read it.

The book was actually written by Herman Melville.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

So...

Anyone read other novels by Melville?

Billy Budd?

Omoo?

Icarus
Member # 3162

I love Dobbie.

There.

I've said it.

Icarus
Member # 3162

I read Billy Budd. Also good. Shorter, without the cetology, but not quite as compelling, either. I wonder if it was the inspiration for "The Drumhead" episode of Star Trek: TNG.
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

I read Typee, and there was a short story that was excerpted from Billy Budd (I can't remember anything about it), that I read a long time before I read Moby Dick.

I know Typee was his big hit, apparently because it was semiautobiographical, and although there's nothing explicit in it, his relationship with the naked native girl was assumed to be sexual, so he became a sex symbol of the 1800's.

It was the setting, really, that I think captured the imagination for those stuffed shirt Victorians. The isolation of the island, and the sexually free spirited culture, contrasted with a strong social order, and the suggestion of cannibalism. This was like science fiction for the 1900's, so far removed from any reality they knew, except that there was that remote possibility...

I actually didn't like the book that much, but I made it through it. I think it suffered precisely because it was autobiographical. He changed names, but the plot wasn't as engaging as it might have been if he'd written it from scratch. Maybe also, to me it read kind of like a travel brochure to Tahiti, so it's kind of dated.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

I've only read Billy Budd and Bartleby, the Scrivener by Melville.

Didn't like either one much, but I was young. Maybe I should give him another try.

Dagonee

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Both are better as adults, that's for sure.

Same with Silas Marner. I read it as a kid and about died of boredom. I read it when I was 25 and absolutely loved it.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

Bartleby was by Melville?

I read that in High School, and thought it was pretty cool, but I didn't know it was by Melville.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

http://www.bartleby.com/129/

You made me look it up, thinking I'd made another gaffe in this thread. But I was pretty sure. [Smile]

Dagonee

Rohan
Member # 5141

- posted      Profile for Rohan   Email Rohan         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, so far it looks like I'm the only one who has read it and...meh. I didn't hate it, but...meh.

"But the commercial made me think..."
"We said meh."
"M-E-H. Meh."

Name that episode!

Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

I believed you, I just didn't remember it was Melville.

Ok, now I've got to go read it again. Thanks for the link.

Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
I read the condensed version. Then I realized it was the condensed version. Now I mus commit seppuku and die with honor.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Rohan, what are you talking about?

[Confused]

digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never been able to get through Moby Dick. I bought it when I was twelve years old, and have tried several times throughout the years to read it, and have always failed. Last time, though, I got almost a quarter of the way through, which is encouraging because all the previous times, I hadn't got past the first chapter. So at this rate, by the time I'm...

*calculates*

52. By the time I'm fifty-two, I will have read it all the way through.

Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian_Berlin
Member # 6900

- posted      Profile for Brian_Berlin   Email Brian_Berlin         Edit/Delete Post 
I've said it before, will say it again here: I'd love to see Card have a go at nautical fiction.

Edit: along the lines of Hornblower, Aubrey, etc.

[ November 01, 2004, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: Brian_Berlin ]

Posts: 116 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rohan
Member # 5141

- posted      Profile for Rohan   Email Rohan         Edit/Delete Post 
I read Moby Dick and...meh. Which brought to mind the Simpsons episode where they go to Block-o-land. Which has the above mentioned exchange between Homer, Lisa and Bart.

Sorry I had to explain it.

Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

I must say that the first time I tried to read Moby Dick, I didn't make it either. I was about 15. I didn't try again until I was about thirty. And then it wasn't mind blowing from the get go. It took several chapters before I understood what was going on...

From then on it was unbelieveable. I guess I've read it in its entirety about 4 times, plus rereading individual chapters and looking up specifics to clarify something I was thinking about.

Once I knew what Melville was doing, the first chapters (and as I mentioned before, the etymology and the extracts, which come before chap 1) were just as cool as the rest. Even better, perhaps, because it was looking at something I'd seen before, yet it was completely different.

I think the point where it really took off was when I started thinking about WHY Father Mapple referred to the story of Jonah as a "yarn." That's just what Moby Dick is. It's a sea story. Which can only be told by someone who has been to sea. The rest of us just have to listen, and try to weed out what is true, what is exaggeration and what is perhaps an out and out lie.

In "etymology" Melville gives us a clue that he's not going go play fair. He loves his "lexicons and grammars;" That is, he plays word games. All though the book you have to look for his word games. One of the reasons not to buy an abridged or edited version (the image is hysterical), comes from the chapter on "the Cassock." If it's not spelled "archbishoprick," you're missing the joke.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.