FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Dionaea House (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Dionaea House
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Check this link out. It's a good read. Make sure to check out the updates at the end and the lj link.

The Dionaea House

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I've started looking at this, but can you provide a little context?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Creepy! [Angst]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh -- that is SO COOL! I just read all of it, up to the point it is...

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
No context needed - just read it.

And it's very well done.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I'm about halfway through it now. Good stuff. Thanks for the link!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this yesterday and read all the emails, but I missed seeing the LiveJournal and the updates section. Really well done, and very creepy!
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting....
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
So you guys think its just someone pulling a Halloween hoax?

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Um....Yeah, Anna. [Smile] It's pretty clearly a ghost story.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Could be true. Maybe it's a result of all the identical housing put up in the suburbs.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Well yeah I figured as much, but I guess it's more that they went to such work including the corroborating live journal, that boggles my mind.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
What the hell?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Man, that is so well done! Very creative (and good) use of the medium to make to story feel more real. That's the mark of a good ghost story--it's creepy precisely because there is some little part of your mind that tells you that it could be true.

Actually, it kind of reminded me of a short story..."Press Enter", I think it was called, by John Varley. Anybody else reminded of that one?

Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that was very well done, hard these days to come up with a good ghost story, and I guess this one wasn't really a great story, but really brilliant presentation. Thanks for the link! [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooo, I've been wanting to read "Press Enter"! I need to hunt that down.

I am constantly amused at how things travel from LiveJournal to Hatrack. This showed up on my LJ's friends list about an hour before it was posted here. [Smile] I didn't find it very creepy, probably because I went into it thinking that it had to be a hoax. Also, I was rather distracted at how neatly the story unfolded via a series of emails. I would expect email to flow less smoothly.

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

It was evident from page 1 it was a "hoax" (I would rather think of it as a "story" [Smile] ) but it was new and it had all the elements of a good ghost story, I certainly approve. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Spoilers

Take the introduction page, already we're seeing far too high a level of sophistication for what is supposedly a blog. The only reason for the incredibly clean (and time-consuming) presentation is if (s)he wants a large number of people to read it from begining to end, and has enough time and motivation on his hands to get it done. If you wanted to ignore the problem (as he says he does) would you spend hours inventing and this format for presentation? And then creating the header? Also, as a blog, it does not make sense to have a timeline posted as a header, he apaprently created this for mainly one other person, and she would know when it was without a continual reminder that it goes from Septemeber to October.

Then, what's with the title? You might title a sotry this way, but keep in mind, it's supposed to be a blog, "Events of the Dionaea House" might be appropriate, but never just "The Dionaea House".

Then there's the copyright at the bottom, obviously the most telling.

If you still don't believe that it's a story, we can go into some of the very obvious plot techiniques used. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

xnera
Member # 187

Oh, I definitely agree it's a story. What I'm saying is that knowing in advance that it was a story lessened the effect of the story, because I was already distanced from it. I find this fascinating, though. I mean, why do I not find this creepy, but was very disturbed by The Blair Witch Project, and I *knew* that was a movie pretending to be real? Is it an effect of the media used, or a story device, or the subject matter, or what? I'm planning on rewatching Blair Witch on Halloween (hey, I have no parties to go to, so why not?), so I'll be thinking about my reactions then. [Smile]
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

OK, I posted that because I love the good ghost story, but it's impossible to take anyone in these days really, unless you create a truly material experience for them, something akin to The Game, we’ve all become way too cynical, or perhaps critical after seeing innumerous hoaxes on the web, or just reading stories, anything creepy enough to be really creepy wouldn’t be believed.

Actually it’s my theory that this is why movies normally scare people so much more than books, that people in general are much less adept at filtering out truth when the experience is more than purely cerebral (like when reading a book), we just have much less experience at it. Which is a shame, because I really love a good ghost story.

Hobbes [Smile]

Hobbes
Member # 433

Xenra, I didn't think you did, that was more of a, this is why, than this is why you should agree, kind of post. [Smile]

And FYI, my previous post was typed before I saw yours. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

Hobbes
Member # 433

As a sidenote, the reason I give is one of many (I think). There's also the fact that we are such visual learners, what is the percentage? Something like 90% of our input comes from visual clues, and the fact that a movie will imerse you in it's world more than a book (in a dark room with surrond sound and only one place to look), but that doesn't mean my first idea doesn't hold too. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

xnera
Member # 187

Yeah, I realised that you likely weren't responding to me directly, but I posted anyway because (a) I am practicing speaking my mind, and (b) as a storyteller, I really am curious as to why one story is more effective than another.

Movies aren't just visual--they're audio, as well. So there's TWO kinds of stimulation happening. And I don't know about you, but I am often more creeped out by an unexplained sound than an unexplained sight. I also do think that it's easier to distance yourself when you are reading something, likely due to the difference in how the mind processes words versus audiovisual stimuli.

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll admit, I googled the names and came up dead blank. So I knew from that alone that it was fiction. If there really had been a shooting and a news article as claimed, I'd have found something.

Still, very entertaining, and I'll definitely be following it. I have a feeling we're in for a big climax on Sunday.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes, I get just as freaked out by this or a book as I do a movie.

I also laugh out loud and cry about books.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HRE
Member # 6263

- posted      Profile for HRE   Email HRE         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesing...Dionaea is a type of Venus Fly-trap.
Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I find books to be much more potent than movies, period. Horror, suspense, erotica, even humor--written material has a greater potential to immerse me in its world than does any other medium.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it a lot, but I was thinking the whole time that if that wasn't a story, then someone had been watching too much Travel TV (with all of their "ghost stories" format!)

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Um... real people don't give narratives in their emails.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonko The Sane
Member # 2945

- posted      Profile for Wonko The Sane   Email Wonko The Sane         Edit/Delete Post 
interesting "story"

[ October 28, 2004, 07:27 AM: Message edited by: Wonko The Sane ]

Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
That is why it was pretty obvious it was a story...it was too neat.

It worked pretty well, although it was fairly obvious where it was going with it.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*nod* For it to be a really convincing hoax, it would have to be less focused on driving the story forward. I actually found the LiveJournal "update" more convincing, thanks to the information provided that wasn't directly related to the story.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
"Press Enter" is an awesome story.

I stopped reading about halfway through this one. I'll go back and read it later, when I have fewer distractions.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
*nod* For it to be a really convincing hoax, it would have to be less focused on driving the story forward. I actually found the LiveJournal "update" more convincing, thanks to the information provided that wasn't directly related to the story.
I'm grateful they didn't try to do this - it was much more enjoyable as a story than it could have been as a possible hoax.
Noemon
Member # 1115

I agree--it's just realistic enough to allow the reader to easily suspend disbelief, but it's narrative structure is clean enough to really make the story flow in a way that a more convincing hoax just couldn't. I think it balances things really nicely. It seems like a really creative appraoch to telling a story to me.

The livejournal and today's IM transcript are both very good touches, I think.

zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
The "red rover red rover send Jenny right over" gave me goose bumps.

Good story.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
me too!!! Very well done, I felt my lil' heart going faster at some parts.

Why isn't anyone giving me a link to "Press Enter"? [Frown]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Allright. I'm convinced it's fake. Just searched the Idaho Statesman for the story about the shooting. Got nothing. I know Boise, that would have been front page news. And a front page story wouldn't have a Dillard's ad on the back of it.

[ October 28, 2004, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: Boris ]

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I wish I could do something like that. And I wish the new updates would happen faster.

The guy who wrote it is apparently a Hollywood screenwriter and has another site, www.heisserer.com.

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

Definately a cool story. I could see the movie wheels turning in this guy's head while I read it (Frankly, they were turning in my own head)
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

Glad you all liked it. What told me it was just a story (or hoax, if you'd like) was this line:

quote:
> I remember him. He was never the kid with the idea, he was
> the kid who agreed with yours. Slowest to get the joke, usually
> laughed the longest.

Real people just don't write like that... although authors DO. So, it screamed story.

I liked it, though.

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump*

Something is going to happen today in the story, and I didn't want to search for the link. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
Is that it??? Did I miss something?
Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

Check out the comments on the last link (Eric's blog). Eric posted another link about the story.

-Katarain

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Hmmm, seems my post didn't go through somehow....

Last I see on the blog is Eric getting ready to go to the newly found house, Sunday am. I was so sure we'd get a big soemthing last night!

Boris
Member # 6935

I liked it more when I thought it might be real...*shrug*
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Look at the comments on that last blog entry.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
It's back....
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

I loved this last year. I hope he does something again.
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
>>"Press Enter" is an awesome story.

Okay, I had a Lost flash back. . .

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.