FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Centcom Press Officer's Candid Interview on NPR

Author Topic: Centcom Press Officer's Candid Interview on NPR
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Rushing was a press officer stationed at Centcom (United States Central command) presenting the American military point of view on the war to the world press. He was featured in the documentary Control Room which was filmed inside the Arab network Al Jazeera. Rushing decided to leave the military after the Pentagon ordered him to stop commenting on the documentary.
Listen Here

Anyone else heard this interview on Fresh Air today? Joshing had some interesting things to say about Al Jazeera, Fox News, White House influence over military press briefings, and the military's mistakes and triumphs in Iraq.

[ October 29, 2004, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: vwiggin ]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Control Room was basically a defense to being anti-American and openly biased.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

Did you listen to the interview NFL?
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
No, but I saw Control Room and by the end of the movie I was sick of hearing Rushing talk. Frankly, at the beginning when he did seem like he was trying to defend the war effort honestly I didn't feel like he was doing a very good job of it. Of course, I suppose its possible the film makers edited what he said to make him look like an idiot...
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

Rushing said during the interview that he thought the movie was some kind of student film. That may explain why he didn't sound very articulate. He might not have taken the interviews very seriously.

Rushing did say he stands by the things he said in the film though.

[ October 29, 2004, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: vwiggin ]

newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

My complaint isn't that he wasn't a fluent speaker, its that for someone whose job it is to present the arguement for the war, he did a pretty poor job.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"its that for someone whose job it is to present the arguement for the war, he did a pretty poor job."

Well, go easy on him for that one; our president, our Secretary of State, our Secretary of Defense, and our National Security Advisor all sucked at it, too.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Very impressive interview. It makes me wonder how truly widespread these views are in the military and whether Bush should be worried about the carrying
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.