FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Calling Chicago Hatrackers

Author Topic: Calling Chicago Hatrackers
signal
Member # 6828

- posted      Profile for signal   Email signal         Edit/Delete Post 
I moved back here a couple months ago. Although, I grew up around here, I don't really know where anything is. I didn't get a car until I lived in Florida, so I can get around there just fine, but I'm totally lost here. On top of that, my memory for street names and directions is nonexistant.

For example, last night (in an attempt to meet new people in the area) I decided to meet up with some car guys I met online at Woodfield. I took 53 and overshot the exit big time and ended somewhere north of Buffalo Grove. Then later on that night everyone decided to go cuising in downtown Chicago. Well on the way up, I got stuck behind a row of slow SUV's, so on top of not being able to keep up, I could no longer see the group. I got lost around Lower Wacker (I think) and was about to turn around and just go home, when all of a sudden I see the entire group driving in the opposite direction. I ended up pulling a Uey across four lanes. Luckily traffic was minimal (thank God).

Anyways, the point of this post is now that I'm back, I want to go do more stuff around the city. I'm a visual learner, so the only way I'm going to learn the area is by experience. I was wondering if any Chicago area 'rackers like to going out to concerts and stuff. It would be fun to have some concert buddies, and would motivate me to get out more. [Smile]

Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh* I miss Chicago. I would totally show you around if I still lived there. [Smile] In the mean time, have a blast and drive carefully!
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of concerts do you like? I live in Rolling Meadows, not to far away from Woodfield. So if you ever go to hang out there again let me know.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I got lost around Lower Wacker (
Yeah - I got somewhat turned around on Lower Wacker when I was up there, too. But then, it was okay with me -- because it reminded me of the Blues Brothers...

[Big Grin] FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heffaji
Member # 3669

- posted      Profile for Heffaji   Email Heffaji         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be back around Thanksgiving time and Christmas so depending on the types of concerts, I'd be interested.
Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh* I used to work as a messenger driver in the Loop. I barely remember it anymore though. I miss Chicago too, though I'll be in the area the week of Thanksgiving.
Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signal
Member # 6828

I'm pretty open about music. I'm not a fan of country, any main stream rap or any hardcore/metal kinda stuff. I like most rock (Riddlin' Kids, Midtown, Good Charlotte, Muse, Modest Mouse, Death Cab...), pop folk? (Jason Mraz, Sondre Lerche...), Jazz/experimental/techno kinda stuff (Mouse on Mars, Miles Daves, Coltrane, Postal Service, Norah Jones...). I'm always down for listening to something new.

Btw, this isn't limited to concerts. That was just the only thing I could think of. If you guys have any other ideas or things you like to do, I'd be interested to hear.

Posts: 298 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signal
Member # 6828

I just found out that Muse is playing at the Riviera on Saturday at 7:00pm. Tickets are $19. Anyone interested?
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.

I do live in Dallas. Is this a problem?

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, no, I'm kinda sick at the moment and my job has been hellish this week and all I want to do this weekend is curl up in bed and hide from the world.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
signal
Member # 6828

quote:
I do live in Dallas. Is this a problem?
It could be a slight one [Wink]

quote:
Um, no, I'm kinda sick at the moment and my job has been hellish this week and all I want to do this weekend is curl up in bed and hide from the world.

[Frown] I hope you feel better soon.
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! Another Chicago-area 'Racker! Lime and I live in Rockford, so we meet up with the Chicago/Madison group quite often.

We're booked this weekend, though - we have a wedding and a symphony concert both Saturday night.

As for concerts in general, well...if you ever decide to hit the CSO, I'll join you, no question. The other stuff...well, we'll see. [Wink]

Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Lime and I live in Rockford
You do not!

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

Umm...yeah we do. [Confused]
Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
What Hobbes means to say, Julie, is that you and Dan will always live within his heart.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

[ROFL] Yeah, I'm sure that's what he meant. [Wink]

[ November 12, 2004, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: Vána ]

Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sweet.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I just found out that Muse is playing at the Riviera on Saturday at 7:00pm. Tickets are $19. Anyone interested?

Yes.

And now you must die by my hand. [Mad]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Lessee, $19 ticket, plus $120 plane ticket...

Nah, probably not. But it's tempting. Instead I shall just check and see if they're coming here...

Edit: Of course they are! On the 15th. Which is a Monday, hmmmm....

Edit 2: AND the tickets are only $18.50. So I save 50 cents as well as the planefare! Of course, it's on a Monday. [Frown] And they were rescheduled at The Quest, since First Avenue closed...

[ November 12, 2004, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Congratulations, ElJay. You get to meet me now, because I have to kill you.

If you ask nicely I'll even play the piano for you first.

[ November 12, 2004, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Pashaw. You were already going to kill me for going to see Mark Russell, remember?

[ November 12, 2004, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

Yup.

Two reasons to kill you makes it much more likely that I will actually do so.

ElJay
Member # 6358

Well, I'll have to shoot for three, just to be sure. Lessee, the only other thing on my calendar right now is the Trans Siberian Orchastra next month. But Minneapolis is a great place for live music and other events, so I'm sure it won't be difficult. [Smile]
twinky
Member # 693

[Smile]

I'm already feeling bitter because The Music are touring Canada this December but they aren't coming anywhere near me. (And I like Muse even more than I like The Music.)

[ November 12, 2004, 06:54 PM: Message edited by: twinky ]

ElJay
Member # 6358

Oh, I suppose I shouldn't say that they'll be here Saturday? The venue's right next door to my office, actually.

But I'm not going, if that makes you feel any better.

Edit: That's The Music that will be here Saturday. Really, you must be sure to plan your assasination trip at a time when there's someone in town you want to see.

[ November 12, 2004, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

twinky
Member # 693

*sigh*
ElJay
Member # 6358

I almost feel bad. But not quite... you've got a liberal government and socialized health care, after all. Guess I'll just have to make do with a great arts and music scene and one of the best park systems in the US.

Um, sorry for derailing the Chicago thread, y'all! Have fun at Muse Saturday! I'm heading out dancing now...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.