FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Civilised Inventions

Author Topic: Civilised Inventions
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
I was showering this morning, and thought to myself, "The guy who invented the shower did a good thing!" You know, a shower is such a relaxing, efficient and civilised way of getting clean (and starting the day, for that matter), and so superior to what we had before. It made me start thinking about other civilised inventions, things we have that make our lives easier, more convenient, and just downright NICE!
So, here's my (partial) list, in no particular order:
The remote control
The dishwasher (no fights, no soggy dishtowels)
The La-z-boy
The garage door opener
Stereo
The internet (thankyou Al)
Big TVs
Email

Any others??

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Toilets.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Toilet paper.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Tampons.

Oh boy, I'm going to get it. [Angst]

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
*gives it*
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
TiVo. Automatic transmission.

*Doesn't watch TV and drives a stick. And likes it.*

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

Elevators.
Drink dispensers.
Velcro.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

Those office chairs with wheels. They make it so much easier to get to the filing cabinet.
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

Wow, that was my 100th post. Pretty stupid post, really. [Frown]
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
mp3s
beds
potato chips
schoolboy biscuits
stoves
oven mits though i have none
toilet paper so you don't have to use newspapers, corn cobs or your hand.
Or Poison IV [Angst]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Personal audio systems (phonograph, hi-fi, walkman, CD player, mp3 player, etc) that allow me to enjoy music even when I am not in the presence of somebody performing.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
Indoor Plumbing.
Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

One invention I am not grateful for is the razor.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

eBay.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Indoor plumbing & toilet paper.

Prepared food.

Central heat/air.

The basic necessities of life all made less messy and time consuming.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

As somebody who spent several months washing all this clothes by hand with a washboard:

Washing machine

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
To quote the 2000 Year Old Man, the best invention ever--Celophane.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So, here's my (partial) list, in no particular order:
The remote control
The dishwasher (no fights, no soggy dishtowels)
The La-z-boy
The garage door opener
Stereo
The internet (thankyou Al)
Big TVs
Email

Do you realize that with that whole list, we sit on our butts and do almost nothing? No wonder we are all so out-of-shape! (unless you boogie to your stereo)

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I was about to say that Porter. Powered washers, and even better powered washers that you don't have to tend while they're running, are a great thing. So are refrigerators and microwaves. Electric lighting is up there. Flush toilets are great. Hot water heaters too.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Farmgirl, maybe Cashew would consent to add Dance Dance Revolution to that list.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Only two things appear on my list that haven't been mentioned already:

Sweaters and the forward pass.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
Power tools!! [Big Grin]
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Noemon!! ......> Pet peeve alert!!!

They ARE NOT "hot water heaters!" They don't "heat" hot water! They are just water heaters because they take regular water and heat it -- or you could say more precisely "cold water heaters"

[Big Grin] FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
*laughs at FG*

My pet peeve is "ATM machine"

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Or estimated ETA? [Wink] I get many, many people who are upset when something comes in not on the day the ETA says. Uh, do you remember what ETA stands for?
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Belle, I love you!

I, too, DESPISE "ATM Machine." The other one I hate is PIN number. I worked in a bank for a summer going through old files, some of which contained correspondence. One poor soul asked the bank to change her "PIN # Number."

I was torn between hilarity and tears.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Eek!]

Farmgirl, you're right! I usually don't do that kind of thing (although I find it funny rather than annoying when I hear "ATM Machine" or "PIN Number". I'd just never really thought about the term "hot water heater" before. Man, that's funny!

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

That's because you're from Kansas, dear Jake. They ALL say that here!!! [Grumble]
Belle
Member # 2314

I'm going to back Noemon up on this from a plumbing perspective. Technically, when lines are run into a water heater, they are usually already separated into "hot" and "cold" lines. So, the plumber would say it's a hot water heater because it's the hot line that is going into it. Regardless of the temp of the water inside the pipe - it would still be called hot water that was going into the heater, just by virtue of it being from the hot brancho of the water service.

Yeah, that's a weak argument, but in some shape form or fashion - hot water heater could be a correct term. [Wink]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

QUOTE (sorry, dunno how to do the quote thingy) "Do you realize that with that whole list, we sit on our butts and do almost nothing? No wonder we are all so out-of-shape! (unless you boogie to your stereo)"
That's what makes them civilised!! [Big Grin]

Noemon
Member # 1115

Cashew, the quotes are pretty easy to do. Surround the piece of text you want to quote with UBB code so that it looks like this:

{QUOTE}Text that I'm quoting{/QUOTE}

instead of "{" style brackets, though, use these: "["

Farmgirl--cool! You've spotted a linguistic trend! I had no idea that that wasn't a common term all across the country.

Belle--Interesting point (although yeah, not the strongest argument in the world). Tell me something--in the house I just bought this past summer, both water heaters (I actually typed "hot water heater" and then had to delete the word "hot", Farmgirl) were installed new in 1985. I've noticed that when I run the hot water, the water heater makes all kinds of loud banging noises. I assume that this is from mineral deposits that have formed in the tank over the years? How much of a problem is this? Are the deposits likely to get into my pipes, lodge there, and become points of corrosion?

Belle
Member # 2314

That's called water hammer, and it can have many different causes. Unfortunately there is no way to tell without someone looking at it what is causing it in your case.

Is the tank balanced properly? Use a level and check.

Noemon
Member # 1115

I'll do that.

::adds level to the list of tools to buy, now that he owns a place::

advice for robots
Member # 2544

Quark XPress and electronic publication design.
Cashew
Member # 6023

text messaging
Noemon
Member # 1115

The railroad. The telephone. The cellular phone.
Noemon
Member # 1115

The faster than light drive.

Oh wait, wrong century. ::taps time travel chronometer in an irritated fashion:: damn thing! Daylight savings time always screws up the display.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Instant Messaging programs (or does that count under Cashew's text messaging?)

FG

Noemon
Member # 1115

The Robosapien

One of my coworkers managed to get his hands on a Robosapien for $30 at Best Buy over his lunch hour, and we've been playing with it almost the the exclusion of doing anything else all afternoon. Cool little toy--I'm really resisting the urge to take it apart. Man I'd like to have the ability to build one of those.

Cashew
Member # 6023

MSN, so I can chat with my son or daughter in the US in real time whenever we are online at the same time (which with the 6 hour time difference at the moment isn't often). It's great!
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
ssh, bash, screen, to name a few.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
beer
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cochick
Member # 6167

- posted      Profile for cochick   Email cochick         Edit/Delete Post 
Eye glasses - I'd be lost without them (literally)

& Chocolate (of course)

Posts: 394 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cochick
Member # 6167

- posted      Profile for cochick   Email cochick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The garage door opener
How about the automobile?

[ November 02, 2004, 07:57 PM: Message edited by: cochick ]

Posts: 394 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.