FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I’m going to go vote now

Author Topic: I’m going to go vote now
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Since I got so many comments playing D&D in Chicago about not using enough active voice, I figured I’d start a thread that has some in it. Besides, with all these threads on who to vote for, where to vote, who you did vote for, I decided there was an empty niche for a thread declaring intentions to vote. [Big Grin] And when I get back maybe I’ll start a thread declaring that I have voted, not active voice I know, but one can only expect so much change.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BYSOAL
Member # 3846

- posted      Profile for BYSOAL           Edit/Delete Post 
*shakes head*

Such a senseless waste... And no, I'm not referring to voting.

B.Y.S.O.A.L.

Posts: 55 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
Is "I voted" still active voice, as in "vote" in the past tense? I believe it is. It's when you say something like eh...how can you make the process of voting passive?
Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Ask people I played with, everything can be in passive voice. [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes playing D&D:

Hobbes: "Hello, Ragnar! That hole looks curious, don't you agree?"

Ragnar: "Yes. Check it out, why don't you?"

Hobbes: "You believe we should inspect the hole? That does not seem unwise."

Ragnar: "Sure. Go look at the hole."

Hobbes: "It would appear that we have reached consensus. The hole should be inspected, and I should do it."

DM: "Does that mean you're looking at the hole?"

Hobbes: "Not necessarily. I'm merely saying that I have agreed that it would be best if I looked at the hole."

Ragnar: "Would you look at the freakin' hole, already?"

Hobbes: "I have agreed to inspect the hole, Ragnar."

DM: "So are you inspecting the hole?"

Hobbes: "No. I'm just agreeing to inspect the hole."

DM: "Will you let me know when you're actually inspecting the hole, rather than declaring your intention to inspect the hole?"

Hobbes: "Sure."

Ragnar: "So would you look at the hole?"

Hobbes: "My character believes that he should look at the hole."

DM: "Now?"

Hobbes: "No."

Ragnar: "Screw this! I leap through the hole, sword drawn, in hopes that whatever's through there is more normal than this guy."

I maintain to this day that Hobbes did this deliberately. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously. It was hysterical:

"Look! There's a rope! We should climb it!"
"Are you climbing it?"
"Me? No. I was just saying."

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

I'm a caution. [Big Grin] [Laugh]

Hobbes [Smile]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Let it also be noted for the record that Hobbes, at his request, played a seven-foot-tall albino covered in mystic runes accompanied by an animated stuffed tiger about two feet high. For his first "turn" of the game, he entered a local bar and announced that he desired to look inconspicuous. [Smile]

[ November 02, 2004, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
When attacked by two foot high creatures, Hobbes attempted to escape the conflict by lying down on the floor.

That was a great night. [Smile]

[ November 02, 2004, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
Stop making me laugh at work! [Taunt]

But seriously, this is why I could never play D&D. I'm just too indecisive, and would have problems making decisions on what to do. It's a shame, really, because I love the idea of D&D, but I find it way too nervewracking to play.

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
In retrospect, being cautious is better than throwing yourself in blindly.

After all, I'm the one who shot the baby.

::snickers madly::

Oh, and an edit to add I voted already. Absentee.

[ November 02, 2004, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: MaydayDesiax ]

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

They might have been two feet tall, but they kept landing blows on my head! When your head gets knocked you try to get it lower. [Razz]

I'm back from voting by the way. [Smile]

And as a side note to Tom, I was supposed to shrink into the corner totally covered by my black cloak, I wasn't being inconspicious, I was being unnoticed. I did have a pretty high rating in that area.

Hobbes [Smile]

MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, because you put all the points you could into that category. And it helped matters that you were a Rogue. [Wink]
Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

See? It was a feasible idea!

Hobbes [Smile]

MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

Of course, I was a Rogue, too, you forget.

I prefer my Rogues loud, obnoxious, and clumsy. Think Joxer from Xena, Warrior Princess.

katharina
Member # 827

What I remember most is the scene in the library.

Tom intones, "The book is covered with runes."
I perk up. "I read runes!"
Tom gives me a look that's a mix of exasperation and pity.
I mumble, "Maybe I don't read runes." and go back to sleep.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

::laughs:: I remember Bernard reading it and the pages turning to dust. He just gave up two into it.
Hobbes
Member # 433

Yah, Tom made him role to read every page, to see if it turned to dust, and each page had like two sentances (at most) on it, I think it was most fitting for his charecter to give up. [Wink]

Hobbes [Smile]

katharina
Member # 827

I still don't understand why I couldn't read them. Tom looked so sad that I offered to that I couldn't bring myself to ask.
Hobbes
Member # 433

It was because he, out of the goodness of his heart, had already let you choose a language you speak by convience, and now you wanted to add another one onto your aresnal just because it came in handy. [Razz]

Hobbes [Smile]

katharina
Member # 827

I thought I could read something like five. What kind of sad sack wizard doesn't read runes?

Hobbes
Member # 433

You. [Razz]

Hobbes [Smile]

katharina
Member # 827

[Razz]

This still makes no sense to me. I think I made the right decision by going back to sleep.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What I remember most is the scene in the library.

Tom intones, "The book is covered with runes."
I perk up. "I read runes!"
Tom gives me a look that's a mix of exasperation and pity.
I mumble, "Maybe I don't read runes." and go back to sleep.

*giggle* Yes, that caught our attention across the room, playing Scrabble.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

*grin* Katie, as a wizard, knew several languages. But because it takes forever to draw up a D&D character anyway, and I didn't want to waste more time explaining the utility of various character languages and/or coming up with anything resembling a detailed world setting -- which, believe me, this wasn't -- I determined that she spoke every language spoken by everyone in the party, and then did an INT check every time she encountered another spoken language to see if it happened to be one of her other known tongues.

The runes in question, however, were the complicated written language of an orthodox dwarven sect, a sect which had been completely exterminated to the last dwarf three thousand years ago -- and, even when they existed, had not shared their written language with anyone except earth elementals. The book itself was a concise breakdown of the entire friggin' plot, and existed to reward the group if they somehow managed to figure out a way to translate it -- and read it, which due to its advanced age and the not-so-careful nature of our group was in fact a matter of some doubt.

Bernard's cleric, luckily for everyone, thought to pray for a blessing which permitted him to read any one language, regardless of its origin.

Where Katie's ridiculously high intellect failed, Bernard's simple faith succeeded. Although Katie's simple faith in her ridiculously high intellect almost carried the day. [Smile]

-------

And, yes, Mayday shot the baby. *wry laugh*

[ November 02, 2004, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Let it also be noted for the record that Hobbes, at his request, played a seven-foot-tall albino covered in mystic runes accompanied by an animated stuffed tiger about two feet high. For his first "turn" of the game, he entered a local bar and announced that he desired to look inconspicuous.
[ROFL]
quote:
The runes in question, however, were the complicated written language of an orthodox dwarven sect, a sect which had been completely exterminated to the last dwarf three thousand years ago -- and, even when they existed, had not shared their written language with anyone except earth elementals.
Aw, man, I miss gameplay.
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I have invited you to play several times, Sara. [Razz]
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
*laugh*
Good memories.

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

[Group Hug]
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I should just get over this shyness and go do it. I have never not had a blast with gaming.

My memories are of laughing til my tummy hurt, pounding the table, and -- once -- nearly wetting myself.

Uh, maybe you don't want to extend that invitation after all. [Wink]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

Sara, I'm surprised that my wail of anguish didn't wake you up when I shot the baby.

Or when I nearly died stopping the swinging blade.

Man, that was a night of bad rolls for me.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

My favorite Zev moment was his reaction to being possessed by the book and subsequently attacked by the entire party for no apparent reason. [Smile]
Insanity Plea
Member # 2053

- posted      Profile for Insanity Plea   Email Insanity Plea         Edit/Delete Post 
Blessed is the alchee-hol! Hours upon hours of meditation and prayer each day is not simple!
Satwyagraha

Posts: 359 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a friend who cast eternal light on his bow so that he could always have it handy, then proceedd to try and hide from the bad guys, and couldn't figure out why they always found him.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

[ROFL]

There has to be a way for hatrackers to play D & D long-distance. That was the most fun I've had in a long time.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.