FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why sports and religion don’t mix

Author Topic: Why sports and religion don’t mix
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Because Dana is a dingbat.

I make an effort to use sermon illustrations outside of my own hobbies and interests. I know it gets tedious when the preacher uses the same stories over and over, so I really try for variety. And there was a bit in my last Sunday’s sermon where I was talking about the communion of saints as a great big cheering section. Originally I had planned to compare them to a whole crowd of soccer moms but at the last minute I thought, “Red Sox fans!” (Thanks, Hatrack.) I thought it was a great illustration, and really helped with the point I was trying to make. Although people at one of the churches looked at me kind of funny after I said it.

So today I had lunch with a church member and she said, “I really liked your sermon on Sunday, but do you realize you said the Red Sox won the Super Bowl?” Me: “I didn’t!?” Her: “Yep.”
Which, I suppose, explains the funny looks. I’m pretty sure I got it right at the other church, though.

*hides under bed and doesn’t come out*

[ November 02, 2004, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: dkw ]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
*rotfl*
I'm pretty sure they kill people for less in Iowa, Dana. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
*Notes that the mere title of this thread would give DKW even more reasons to hide under the bed if she uttered such a statement at Notre Dame*
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
That is hilarious! [ROFL]

Yeah -- our minister uses analogies like that all the time -- sometimes a little bit of overkill, even.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Sooooo, was it the big church or the little church?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, at least you didn't make the mistake during children's moment, where you would be corrected loudly by some precocious youngster. [Wink]

edit for missing word. I blame Katie.

[ November 02, 2004, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: TheTick ]

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Poor Dana. Now your best bet is to become known for messing up sports metaphors. [Smile]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

It was the bigger church. In the town where I actually live. [Embarrassed]
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Pity. Ellsworth woulda been easier on you. Sarah tell you, or someone else? Someone else, I bet, Sarah wouldn't have waited 'til today.
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob could give you some good jai alai anecdotes. If nothing else, I bet no one in your congregation would be able to correct any mistakes.

Edit: I probably shouldn't encourage a minister to gamble, but it is jai alai.

[ November 02, 2004, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: zgator ]

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
And when I read your post, it took me a minute to realize what the problem was. [Big Grin]
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
You are confused - it is merely baseball that doesn't mix with religion.

Baseball is the American Pastime, and Football is war, but it is only Basketball that is religion.

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Great story, Dana!

You know, after the Ptriots' performance on Sunday, I bet the Red Sox have as good a chance as they do of winning the Super Bowl.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Hah!

You were just testing their faith, that's all. Were they to have faith as a grain of mustard seed, the Sox could win the Super Bowl. [Smile]

Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
My rabbi, who is from Argentina, worked the Olympics into his sermon for a month (Argentina won basketball and soccer).

I refer to every non-football championship as the whatever Super Bowl. For example, I couldn't have cared less about the baseball Super Bowl.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Next Week Sermon ideas:

Forgiveness

Baseball and Football are similar, yet different, much like the books of the new testament.

Football scores or Baseball scores are not as important as YOUR IMMORTAL SOUL!!!!!

Divine Plagues, or why its not good to laugh at The Preacher Woman!!!

Miracles! If God wants the Red Sox to win the World Series, they win the World Series. If he wanted them to win the Superbowl...

We all make mistakes. Here is mine. Yours is giggling at the minister!

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

Well said, Dan R

Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Dan: [Big Grin]

In best Saturday Night Live voice: Da Sox!

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

ElJay, in Ellsworth someone would have just said, "don't you mean the World Series?" and I'd have said, "oops," and we'd all have laughed about it. Instead of them all whispering to each other and nobody saying anything to me. One or two of them might have even said it right during the sermon. [Big Grin]
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Football is religion in Green Bay. Go to church on a Sunday morning of a home game, and try not to see the green and gold. To get people's attention, naturally the speakers will invoke football. It doesn't often work, unfortunately, as there are those in the congregation who pay a bit more attention to their Walkmen than the sermon.

This is all true. I've seen it at more than one church on a regular basis. I wish I could make this up.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
When I lived in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, our pastor would wear his Packers sweater on game days under his robes. It really is a religion there. I've known people who have missed flights to watch the end of a game in the airport.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Our minister said, when it was open prayer time and someone asked for her to pray for the SOx: "Don't even go there."

Pause.

"I suppose it would be appropriate for me to pray for the healing of Curt Schilling's ankle..."

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
NPR this morning was talking to one of the great old basketball coaches. He was telling stories. He once asked the Cardinal, "These boys, when they get up on the line for a free throw, they cross themselves. Does this help."

The Cardinal answered "It does if they can shoot."

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grigori
Member # 6917

- posted      Profile for Grigori   Email Grigori         Edit/Delete Post 
*blink*

I thought sports fanatics and religion were mutually exclusive since most religions are firmly against cults... (other than their own, that is)

Posts: 23 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
My pastor has had the misfortune of messing up science metaphors in front of a congregation with more than its fair share of professors.

I think he also referenced the book of Hezekiah once.

Don't worry, I'm sure everyone will have a good laugh and then forget about it, except when they dig the story out to make fun of you [Smile]

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.