FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I don't get to vote

Author Topic: I don't get to vote
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
My absentee ballot never came. [Frown]
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] [Frown]
Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Miro))) [Frown]

If it makes you feel better, I don't get to vote either, as I'm not a citizen.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Miro, you can still go to your polling place (if possible), and ask for a provisional ballot. At the least you should contact one of the watchdog groups and file a complaint.

This is REALLY important. If you don't do it, no one can fix it in the future.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't get to vote either. Underage.

I tried a fake ID, but I guess that only works in Vegas.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
When I took Mooselet and Superstation to the polling place, a man coming out commented on how much younger voters looked this year. I explained that they had actually voted absentee after registering in Florida....
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly the problem with absentee ballots this year is that with the Democrats' attempt to block Nader the ballots couldn't be printed until very late.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
nfl, that was one problem, there were several others, of arguably larger impact (several thousand in FL got lost between the state house and the postal service, for instance).

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Sasse
Member # 6804

- posted      Profile for Sara Sasse   Email Sara Sasse         Edit/Delete Post 
Provisional ballot, definitely. (What Bok said)
Posts: 2919 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

Well, it came today (I just got home). [Smile]

Any idea if it'll still count if I put it in the mail tonight?

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I never got mine either. I didn't think to do a provisional ballot. [Frown]
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

Well, I just read some stuff on the DC website, and it has to be postmarked by today to count. Too late for that. If only I'd come home earlier...
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you f***ing serious Joldo!
That really pisses me off that someone would try some S*** like that.

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm . . . why?

I mean, it would tick me off if the system was so screwy that he succeeded.

And I suppose I can understand being annoyed because catching him slows the system down and puts a strain on an alread struggling system.

But I can't work up much indignation that an American citizen (assumption) who does not have the right to vote should try to do so anyway.

So many people who do have the right to vote could care less; it's almost refreshing to see someone who wants to badly to do so.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Miro, you can still go to your polling place (if possible), and ask for a provisional ballot. At the least you should contact one of the watchdog groups and file a complaint.

This is REALLY important. If you don't do it, no one can fix it in the future.

That's really tough to do if you're away at college, as I assume Miro was.

Many college students ran into this problem, too, not only Miro. There is a young woman here who goes to college out of town and has a column in the local paper - she wrote about her difficulties getting an absentee ballot in that column.

My daughter, JaneX, also had problems getting her absentee ballot. We requested it back in August, and when it hadn't arrived 2 weeks before the election, we started calling the elections office to make sure she would get it. She did, but many did not.

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

Yep, I'm at college. [Smile] After I told my dad, he insisted I mail it the next day, with a note saying I got it late. So I did.

I actually emailed my story to a columnist at the Washington Post, but I haven't gotten a reply, so I don't think anything will come of it.

MEC
Member # 2968

It's called voter fraud.
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a notice in the mail yesterday telling me that my voter registration card would be mailed to me shortly. Does this seem a little odd to anyone? Shouldn't it have....I dunno....arrived BEFORE the election? I was kind of wondering what had happened to it, but since I was registered to vote anyway (I checked on it before the election) I didn't think much of it.
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure it is, MEC, but this particular instance of it just fails to get my blood boiling. Of course, it should not be allowed to succeed, but . . . *shrug*
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
The voting age is really rather too high. There are plenty of younger people who would vote if they could, and probably make a more inteligent, considered decision on their candidate than many older voters. Maybe we could put some sorta test system for younger voters. 14 - 17 years olds can take a test, if they pass they can vote. Of course that system would allow for cheating more than the current one probably. But in the current one so many people get disenfranchised as it is... *sigh* the whole system is f**ked up.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
I read that hundreds of workers working on fixing hurricane damage didn't get to vote cause they were all over the place. Kinda stinks.
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

Most of the kids I knew in high school just went the same way their parents did. And don't tell me that's changed because it's been less than 2 years since I was in high school. If we do lower the voting age, then we should lower the age restriction on drafting too.

Anyway, ANY voter fraud really pisses me off. It robs people of their vote.

[ November 10, 2004, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: MEC ]

Danzig avoiding landmarks
Member # 6792

- posted      Profile for Danzig avoiding landmarks           Edit/Delete Post 
Next national election, the first underage person who wants to vote can tell me how to vote. You cannot steal what is freely given.

[ November 10, 2004, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: Danzig avoiding landmarks ]

Posts: 281 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of 14-17 year olds don't have real IDs. In Florida the earliest you could get a driver's license is 15. A lot of high schoolers are in my opinion more qualified than a lot of adults, but then a lot higher percentage of high schoolers are unqualified because they are more likely to vote based on whatever their parents say or however it is "popular" to vote.

[ November 10, 2004, 07:44 PM: Message edited by: newfoundlogic ]

Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
I really wish I was old enough to vote last year. My town had elections for common council and board of ed. As part of my American Politics class many of the candidates came in to speak to us and answer questions, and I also attended the debate for Board of Ed. In my class, we were able to find out which candidates were qualified, and which weren't (like the board of ed candidates that didn't know what No Child Left Behind was). Sure, we could tell our parents who we thought they should vote for, and they may or may not do what we say, but we probably knew the most about all of the candidates, and would be most affected by the board of ed election. I really wanted to be able to get my say. Instead the most I could do was "volunteer" at the Democratic Headquarters in my town where I had to get a specific number of hours for my class anyway.

In my case, I can't do anything about it because I was too young to vote. Still am, too. But for someone who is old enough, registered, and wants to vote, it is illegal and infuriating. Any attempt to keep someone from voting is illegal, and need to be stopped.

Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig avoiding landmarks
Member # 6792

- posted      Profile for Danzig avoiding landmarks           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, nfl made me think of something very important. The first minor who can give me a solid reason behind their choice can tell me how to vote.
Posts: 281 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.