FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Kerry concedes

Author Topic: Kerry concedes
Misha McBride
Member # 6578

- posted      Profile for Misha McBride           Edit/Delete Post 
AP link

[ November 03, 2004, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: Misha McBride ]

Posts: 262 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
? It doesn't say kerry conceded, it says his advisors are meeting.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah -- I didn't read it that he conceded either.

In fact, it says Edwards is advising him against it

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, the first time I clicked on the link it said that Kerry called Bush to conceed, now it says that Ohio is too close to call.

Looks like somebody at the paper messed up.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's one that says he called Bush and conceded.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay - strange -- the story on the link changed

edit: nevermind. and I was talking about the first link. All the AP wires have the story now

[ November 03, 2004, 11:24 AM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
He did. They just announced it on tv.

He'll be congratulating Bush soon.

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, on NBC right now, the tag at the bottom says "Breaking News -- Kerry is Conceding"
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
Closure, let's get it over with and move on.
Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I have to agree. My opinion of him just raised a notch.
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
This is unfortunate. Votes need to be counted. If we could have a two year long campaign, we can wait 10 days.
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Why do Americans not like to wait for the votes to be counted? I mean, just count the freaking votes, and then announce the winner after that. Better yet, stop exit polling and count announcements before the final tally is made.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.cnn.com/ CNN headline 11:39 a.m. EST (16:39 GMT) November 3, 2004 "BUSH WINS" "Kerry Calls to Concede"
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rubble
Member # 6454

- posted      Profile for rubble           Edit/Delete Post 
Tres,

I agree with you to an extent. There is no reason that the election must be "over" in 24 hours. However, if there is no way that uncounted votes can change the result, I think that the losing party should "do the right thing" and concede so that everyone can continue with the same understanding.

Posts: 270 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
There is no reason to wait. Ohio is not like Florida. Everyone agrees that Florida was so close it should not have been called for anybody. The final vote count was a difference of less than 600 votes.

The difference in Ohio, which Kerry must make up to become President is over 100,000 votes. There aren't enough provisional ballots to make up that gap. A fair percentage of the provisionals will be found to be invalid and thrown out anyway. Of the remainder, even if Kerry took 100% of them (almost a statistical impossibility) he STILL can't win.

He's conceding because the math doesn't work. He can't win.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing says those votes WON'T be counted. They will, they just wont change the outcome of the election.

I don't think anyone is saying "Don't Count the Votes", just that 1 + 1 isn't going to equal the 3 needed to change the outcome.

In fact just about all states have votes left to be counted from Absentee, Military and Provisional/Conditional.

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.