FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ashcroft may be leaving

Author Topic: Ashcroft may be leaving
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
And I hope so .

As a Missourian I have been embarresed at his tenure as Attorney General. I hope the President puts someone more qualified and more open in the position.

Unfortunately its likely the President will get rid of Powell as well.

To bad he can't clean out Rhumsfeld instead.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I hope so too. If I had to pick one cabinet member to leave, he would be the one.

Too bad if Powell leaves as well, but that's been in the cards for a while.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Unfortunately its likely the President will get rid of Powell as well.
It is not so much that Bush is 'getting rid' of Powell, it is that Powell said from the start that he only wanted to do one term. He really was not all that eager to do even that. The republican party has tried to pull him into politics and to get him to attempt a presidential run, but he has refused that as well. He says his wife is to worried about assasination.

In more recent months though, there has been talk that Powell may be willing to continue as the sec state for another term. Things are a bit up in the air at this point though. I would not be surprised to see some shake ups in the cabinet. I'd like to see Rumsfield go, but I don't know how likely that is. I would be very surprised to see Rice go anywhere. I think she did a great job in the 9/11 hearings...and would not be all that surprised to see her make a run for pres in 2008. I don't know that she could win the nomination, but she is a very possible VP candidate.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20041104/pl_nm/bush_cabinet_dc_3

quote:
Many Republicans think both Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and Secretary of State Colin Powell will leave, if not immediately, then after a reasonable interval.

Pentagon officials have indicated Rumsfeld plans to remain defense secretary into Bush's second term.

Seems like no one knows.

Also, I saw something earlier, that it appears they have now corrected, which said Ashcroft would be turning in his resignation at the beginning of the second term. (Now they are saying he'll do it within a couple of weeks.) However, when the story was first out, it was just that he would be turning it in at the beginning of the president's second term, which made me scratch my head because all the Cabinet members turn in their resignations at that point and time.

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Since you clearly don't like Ashcroft due to his politics as opposed to his competence what makes you as liberals think his replacement will be any more acceptable to you?
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
nfl, as a liberal, I really don't believe that the replacement will be any more palatable, in their actions, than Ashcroft.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
My dad at least dislikes Ashcroft because he finds him to be incompetent. My father's general take on politics is to despise both sides and he says he would respect Bush a lot more if Ashcroft and Rumsfield were gone.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Ashcroft is a racist. That's what I don't like about him.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kerinin
Member # 4860

- posted      Profile for kerinin           Edit/Delete Post 
i'm sort of hoping that god will just strike his administration down in a swift bolt of lightning.

(i'm really bitter about this election, so don't mind me)

Posts: 380 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
There are so many things to dislike about Ashcroft, I don't know where to begin. But the instant he started worrying about naked statues I knew we had been given a man who had no sense of perspective and who was not to be trusted leading anything.

The fact that this man oversees domestic intelligence networks just seems like an obvious mistake.

Had it been my administration, the instant he came out about artwork, I would've dropped him and apologized to the American people for letting an obvious nut job into a position of power.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Well, the fact that Bush appointed Ashcroft after he lost the Senate race to a dead man should put Bush in the nut job category, if you ask me. Hell, Ashcroft is an embarrassment to Missouri, but at least they had the sense to elect a dead man over him.
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Good job, attack perceived stupidity with more stupidity. How was Ashcroft supposed to beat the dead guy? Voters knew they were voting for his wife and how would Ashcroft possibly run a successful campaign?
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
nfl...maybe by being someone else?
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
How about Spitzer? I doubt he'd take it, but he's got credibility on corporate crime like no one else in the country.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

Rudy said he won't take it.
Morbo
Member # 5309

According to http://abcnews.go.com/ :
quote:
Attorney General John Ashcroft and Commerce Secretary Don Evans have resigned, the White House says.
WOO HOO! [The Wave] [Party]
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Since you clearly don't like Ashcroft due to his politics as opposed to his competence what makes you as liberals think his replacement will be any more acceptable to you?
I don't know if you should seperate his politics and his competence, but I don't think that his replacement will be any more acceptable to me.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

The "Woo hoo" is really naive, Bush doesn't even have to get reelected and with a larger majority in both houses of Congress he can get whomever he wants to take over.
Morbo
Member # 5309

Oh, please, nfl--my "woo hoo" is naive? You're really grasping at straws here. I have a personal and visceral dislike of Ashcroft and his policies, and I'm happy to see him go. What's naive about that?

Of course, his replacement's policies could be as bad or worse from my POV, but that doesn't mean I can't be happy now.

newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

Its the same idea as cheering for a George Bush impeachment, it would only mean Cheney would become president.
Morbo
Member # 5309

If Bush were impeached it would have enormous political fallout and consequences.

And I would still might "WOO HOO."

newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

And this amounts to another reason why the Dems lost and the GOP won. You fail to see the bigger picture. Cheney has no political ambition and has little care for how people see him. His sole priority would be to push his agenda. From a liberal perspective you're cheering about going from the frying pan to the fire.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
but I don't think that his replacement will be any more acceptable to me.
Nice to see you going into it with an open mind, Irami....
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

nfl, you just aren't understanding me: I can be happy that an extremist attorney general has resigned EVEN THOUGH his replacement could be as bad or worse. My emotions are not equivalent to my analysis of the situation.

By the same token, I could be very happy if Bush were impeached, even though Cheny took over--more so, because the resulting shock would likely leave the right in disarray, as they were in '76 when Ford was easily defeated.

newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

First of all, Cheney wouldn't run for reelection. Second, its still naive to he joyous about going from the frying pan and into the fire.
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Have to agree that Ashcroft is a symptom, and not the disease.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
You're looking at the small picture, nfl. Don't be naive.

Besides, I'd actually rather have Cheney as President.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Congrats, nfl. You've managed to suck all my joy out of seeing Ashcroft resign--not with your lame arguements but with your bulldog insistence in attacking anything I post.

NFl for Attorney General! A worthy successor to to the flake who just resigned.

edit:thank you frisco, nfl was indeed needling me while chiding me for for not looking at the big picture. I shouldn't have let it get to me.

[ November 09, 2004, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl,

Ya'll liked Ashcroft. If there were some contention, maybe I'd have hope. But Ashcroft left for his own reasons. There is nothing stopping Bush from appointing another one of him, maybe a little younger, a little healthier.

I also don't expect Bush to do anything that he doesn't want to do. Reaching across the isle doesn't mean working with democrats who agree with you, but I'm of those non-realists who believes that give and take means giving up something, even if you don't have to.

[ November 09, 2004, 10:46 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

Glad to be of service, Morbo. [Hat]
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Frisco, why would you prefer Cheney as president?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Nah. Not gonna happen.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Gonzalez, the White House Council, is Bush's nominee to replace Ashcroft. First Hispanic AG if confirmed.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Lee Wombat
Member # 7021

- posted      Profile for Johnny Lee Wombat   Email Johnny Lee Wombat         Edit/Delete Post 
I meant to make a joke early in this thread about how our next AG would be a gay, Hispanic woman with MS. [Smile]
Posts: 43 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Lee Wombat
Member # 7021

- posted      Profile for Johnny Lee Wombat   Email Johnny Lee Wombat         Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, Gonzales is getting a fairly positive review at a liberal blog. So, kudos to Bush for nominating what may be a 'moderate'.

quote:

The apparent nomination of Alberto Gonzales as Attorney General is a mixed blessing for progressives. It is fair to say that Gonzales is not nearly as bad as we might have expected. He is by no means a hard core ideologue, and he would not be likely to aggressively pursue a far right agenda. on his own By temperament he is a moderate, even if his views are far more conservative than we would wish. His record as a judge, while conservative, was not outrageous; indeed, it's commonly believed that he may not have been acceptable to the far right as a Supreme Court nominee. And what little leaks out of this Administration suggests that Gonzales was not a moving force behind most of the Administration's most outrageous legal positions.

But his failure to fight aggressively against some of those positions points up Gonzales' principal weakness, which is that he not likely to be a strong Attorney General, willing to stand up to the President and others within the Administration when it is required. Certainly nothing in his record as White House counsel suggests that he will have the independence necessary to preserve public faith in the nonpartisan nature of law enforcement. Rather, there is ground for fear that the Department - already highly politicized under Ashcroft - will become even more so because of Gonzales' close links to the White House. And there is also ground to fear that the White House will be able to have more influence over the course of sensitive political investigations than is appropriate.

A related issue is whether Gonzales, as an outsider coming from the White House, will be able to win the confidence of the career civil servants at the Department. Many of them have felt battered and isolated for the last four years. Ashcroft was surrounded by a group of highly political aides that was convinced that the civil servants were their enemy out to sabotage them. As a result many major decisions, ranging from gun control to terrorism, were made either without input from, or in the fact of input from, the career people at the Department. (That, in part, explains why many of those decisions were so bad - and I say that not only as a progressive but simply as a lawyer). Gonzales (unlike Larry Thompson, who in my mind would have been a superior choice) has no history at the Department, no reservoir of good will to draw upon. He will need quickly to demonstrate his independence from his former political bosses.

Posts: 43 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.