FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » how much abortion could you tolerate?

Author Topic: how much abortion could you tolerate?
kerinin
Member # 4860

- posted      Profile for kerinin           Edit/Delete Post 
abortion seems to have been a major issue in this election, yet it was given very little air time, at least in the debates. given the outcome of the election and the number of peole i've talked to who've said that they could never vote for Kerry because he was pro-life (even though many people agreed with the rest of Kerry's platform more than Bush's), i'm curious to ask those pro-life posters out there what degree of restrictions on abortion a candidate would have to support for other issues to become significant in your decision-making process.

would a candidate have to support a complete ban on any type of abortion, or would a first or second trimester ban be sufficient. where do you draw the line across which you would feel enough abortions are being stopped to justify considering issues other than abortion? is there middle ground which could be conceded in a constructive manner or is this a matter or completely irreconcilable views of the world in which both sides refuse to budge at all?

i'm a guy, and i suppose i'm fairly liberal (just for context), and i would be willing to support a candidate in support of banning 3rd trimester abortions provided the procedure was not medically necessary.

Posts: 380 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Just the fear that abortion will be made illegal. Considerin that birth control and abortions are one of the cornerstones of women's rights... the ability for them to choose how their bodies work... to become a career person or go into government...and not be tied down for 20 years or longer with kids.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is acceptable if the mothers life is in danger. In that case the abortion should take place at an early stage in development. I still think it is a very terrible thing for a life to be lost, but if it is a choice between loosing the mother and the child and loosing just the child, it is better to at least preserve the mother's life.

as for the choice of how her body works, the time to make the choice is before sex. Once there is another life, it is no longer about the choice of one person...it is the lives of two individuals. A doctor's job is to save lives, not end them.

If someone does not want a child, birth control can be used before pregnancy, and adoption can be used after.

[ November 04, 2004, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: Lupus ]

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
<looks into thread>

<backs out slowly>

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Promethius
Member # 2468

- posted      Profile for Promethius           Edit/Delete Post 
Lupus, I could not agree with you more.
Posts: 473 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, unless we have two candidates with identical views on abortion, one of them is always going to be closer to my values than the other.

If Kerry supported abortion on demand, and Bush supported only first trimester, well then I'd have to still give the nod to Bush because his policy, while not exactly what I'd like and not my beliefs, is closer in line with my ideals than is Kerry's.

In other words, the candidates would have to be pretty much even before I'd be able to lay the issue aside. It's a pretty important issue for me - in my mind it's an issue of life and death.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Considerin that birth control and abortions are one of the cornerstones of women's rights...
This statement just makes me sad. We sure haven't come very far toward equality between the sexes if we view the willful killing of another human life as a "cornerstone" of women's rights. A cornerstone to me means something that a structure is built upon. I don't feel that my rights as a career woman, rights to a workplace and pay equal to men are threatened by possible legislation limiting abortion. (Pregnancy, btw, is a temporary condition even without outside interference. It's not like we're pregnant forever.) The connection is a bit obscure for me. This is particularly difficult to see, I guess, since abortion was abhorant to early feminists.

edited to add that I agree about birthcontrol, though. That really does open up our choices as women.

[ November 04, 2004, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: jeniwren ]

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Considerin that birth control and abortions are one of the cornerstones of women's rights...."

Telp, I've got to admit that I find the conflation of birth control with abortion to be more than a little reprehensible. It's like saying "sex and rape are both fun ways to spend an evening."

I would submit that the one can be divorced quite easily from the other. I would further submit that any perceived right which is built upon sanctioned mass murder is something that should send us walking pretty quickly from Omelas.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heffaji
Member # 3669

- posted      Profile for Heffaji   Email Heffaji         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In other words, the candidates would have to be pretty much even before I'd be able to lay the issue aside. It's a pretty important issue for me - in my mind it's an issue of life and death.
While abortion is one part of life and death, what about all of the other situations that cause death either directly or indirectly to people? Shouldn't these be taken into account as well if the subject is the main factor in determining who you vote for?
Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.