FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Why I voted for Bush (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Why I voted for Bush
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
This is my cousin the Marine .

I won't stand for a "Wrong War, Wrong Place, Wrong Time" Commander in Chief while he's over there.

(He looks like one kick@ss marine)

Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Give him our best in your next letter to him.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CStroman
Member # 6872

- posted      Profile for CStroman   Email CStroman         Edit/Delete Post 
I will. Keep him in your thoughts and prayers please.
Posts: 1533 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
The look exchanged between your cousin and the little boy is priceless. [Big Grin]

Best of luck to him. I hope he returns safely.

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
My Aunt was a Marine (Col.) for 40 years. She was the Marine expert on rapid mobilization, adn was active at Quantico for all of Desert Storm....for a total of 5 years total, actually.

She retired last year, and two days after she retired they called to re-activate her again....so she told them to go and FO....lol...

They argued with her, trying to say that she wasn't allowed toretire, but in the end she won.

I don't agree that Bush is the right choice at all...if your cousin pulled the same crap Bush pulled in the guard he would be arrested and court-marchalled.

But I hope your cousin stays as safe as posible, and makes it home healty as soon as he can.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"I won't stand for a 'Wrong War, Wrong Place, Wrong Time' Commander in Chief while he's over there."

Out of interest, if it were the wrong war in the wrong place at the wrong time, would you still prefer that the Commander in Chief never publicly acknowledge that fact?

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
He's a fine-looking man, Chad

(don't let Tom try to turn this into another debate thread -- we all applaud your cousin's service to our country)

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this a thread in which we applaud people's service in the military, or a thread in which Chad explains why he voted for Bush?

I suspect the title is highly flawed, if the former.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
That'd be a terrible reason to vote anyone into office. For one thing, any President could get reelected just for starting a war if people voted on those grounds - even someone like Hitler. And for another, if it IS the wrong war then you are voting for a guy who might be needlessly killing your cousin.

I'm also fairly certain it's not your reason for voting for Bush. [Smile]

[ November 05, 2004, 10:02 AM: Message edited by: Xaposert ]

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Xap mentioned Hitler-- the rational portion of this thread is over.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Beat you to it.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

"He's a fine-looking man, Chad."

Does anyone else think he looks like Carry Elwes? [Dont Know]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

I think we have plenty of threads where we can vent our (IMO justified) anti-Bush arguments.

It is not everyday a relative shows up on AP photos. Let Chad have his thread in peace. [Wink]

Xaposert
Member # 1612

Xap's law: Any invocation of Godwin's law is an irrational excuse to avoid answering a point being made by the Hitler comparison in question.

The fact of the matter is, by the logic Chad is discussing here, he WOULD vote for Hitler if his cousin were serving in Hitler's army. The suggestion that many people in military families or ex-soldiers DO vote like this would indicate a great danger for the country.

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
No, because Chad's remark was about a specific person in a specific war at a specific time.

Your Hitler scenario only has one of those characteristics in common with it.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Pfft.

Xap, you took an comment out of Tom's post, and attached it to Chad.

Chad has only said: "I won't stand for a "Wrong War, Wrong Place, Wrong Time" Commander in Chief while he's over there."

Repent ye-- Chad was making a specific statement, not a general one as you are implying.

Scott R
Member # 567

CURSE YOU DAGONEE!
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
As we all learned in gradeschool, guys...

"They are just sore losers; ignore them"

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

It was a specific claim that entails a general idea - that its okay for one to vote against a candidate solely because they claim your family member's job is a "wrong war".

It'd be like if I said it's okay to reelect a president that would take away the rights of Muslims in this one instance. If I am saying that is okay then I am implying the same principle would stand for other instances - like when my own rights were being violated. I can't claim "Well, it's okay just in the instance where we are violating the rights of Muslims, but wrong in all those other instances where we are violating the rights of blacks or jews or even me!" The wrongness of the general idea implies the wrongness of the particular situation.

Xaposert
Member # 1612

quote:
"They are just sore losers; ignore them"
Also, that's an extremely low and unfair blow - and another excuse to ignore an important point. This is a critical issue that goes far beyond this one election. If we are going to maintain a democracy in this country, it is critical that we elect our leaders wisely. If we stand by and allow without refutation the idea that its okay to vote just based on whoever supports troops, this won't be America for long.

[ November 05, 2004, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: Xaposert ]

Scott R
Member # 567

No, tres. You are obscuring the situation. If you and Tom want to talk about general ideas, that's fine; but don't try to link them to members that make specific statements, okay?

quote:
The fact of the matter is, by the logic Chad is discussing here, he WOULD vote for Hitler if his cousin were serving in Hitler's army. The suggestion that many people in military families or ex-soldiers DO vote like this would indicate a great danger for the country.
Yet, as I've shown above, Chad's logic was simply that Kerry was the wrong guy for this situation.

Boom-tiddy.

[ November 05, 2004, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: Scott R ]

Xaposert
Member # 1612

Then you agree that it would be wrong to vote anyone into office just on the grounds that he supports a war the troops are in and his opponent does not?

I think Chad was implying a lot more than just that Kerry was the wrong man for the job.

[ November 05, 2004, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: Xaposert ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
It was a specific claim that entails a general idea - that its okay for one to vote against a candidate solely because they claim your family member's job is a "wrong war".
But you don't know th extent of the general idea he was basing the specific statement on, nor the limitations he would impose on that general idea. You generalized his specific statement and attacked him based on you interpretation of it.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

quote:
It isn't so much that it's low and unfair. The "sore loser" stuff kind of lost its meaning on Tuesday, when the exit polls came out saying Kerry was ahead and Bush supporters started calling Kerry a sore loser.
Well, it's akin to someone coming out to argue in favor of tax reform, and then a Kerry fan telling folks to write off the entire point as "gloating." Not only is it writing off a point without consideration, it's also just plain untrue.

[ November 05, 2004, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: Xaposert ]

Xaposert
Member # 1612

quote:
But you don't know th extent of the general idea he was basing the specific statement on, nor the limitations he would impose on that general idea. You generalized his specific statement and attacked him based on you interpretation of it.
I didn't attack HIM in any way. I attacked only the general idea I said his post was showing. If he didn't mean that general idea that's fine (I said I figured that wasn't really his reason anyway), but the general idea it could be taken to imply is still both wrong and significant enough to point out.

[ November 05, 2004, 10:50 AM: Message edited by: Xaposert ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Then you really meant to say, "By the logic I'm assigning to Chad here, with no real basis to do so, he WOULD vote for Hitler if his cousin were serving in Hitler's army," right?

quote:
by the logic Chad is discussing here, he WOULD vote for Hitler if his cousin were serving in Hitler's army.
If telling someone he would vote for Hitler isn't an attack, then I'm not sure what is.

Dagonee

[ November 05, 2004, 10:50 AM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Xaposert
Member # 1612

No, I had good basis to do so. I mean, his title is "Why I voted for Bush" and he did say "I won't stand for a 'Wrong War, Wrong Place, Wrong Time' Commander in Chief while he's over there." He may not realize the general logic he is invoking implies it's okay to vote based on personal relationship with soldiers, but I think it's fairly clear that logic is suggested.

And I didn't say he'd vote for Hitler. I said by the logic there, he'd vote for Hitler. By the logic there, I'd vote for Hitler too. That's why neither of us should accept the general idea behind the specific claim.

[ November 05, 2004, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: Xaposert ]

Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
I think Chad was implying a lot more than just that Kerry was the wrong man for the job.
I don't understand how you've come to this conclusion. Please use examples from this thread.
Xaposert
Member # 1612

'I won't stand for a "Wrong War, Wrong Place, Wrong Time" Commander in Chief while he's over there.' is not equivalent to "Kerry is the wrong man for the job." It also implies there's a reason why Kerry is the wrong man for the job, including (a) that Kerry calls the war wrong, and (b)that his cousin is fighting in the war. (This leads to (c)Him calling the war wrong when the cousin is fighting the war implies Chad shouldn't vote for him .)

[ November 05, 2004, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: Xaposert ]

Scott R
Member # 567

Yes it is.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

"I won't stand for a 'Wrong War, Wrong Place, Wrong Time' Commander in Chief while he's over there."

Not a difficult concept, Xap. He's saying that during the war in Iraq, he won't support a 'Wrong War, Wrong Place, Wrong Time' Commander in Chief because his cousin's over there.

You have no basis for expanding the "there" to "any old war." You chose to do so. At least Tom asked it as a question - he didn't assume that the undisclosed reasoning process used to arrive at the conclusion was one that justified supporting Hitler in a war.

Dagonee

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Well, based on Chad's statement, it appears that he thinks having a Commander in Chief who does not believe that the war in which your relatives are currently fighting is a good thing is, in fact, a bad thing.

I responded specifically to clarify whether he would feel this way if the war were, in fact, a bad thing, or whether disapproving of wars while they're ongoing is the general principle to which he objects.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
'I won't stand for a "Wrong War, Wrong Place, Wrong Time" Commander in Chief while he's over there.' is not equivalent to "Kerry is the wrong man for the job." It also implies there's a reason why Kerry is the wrong man for the job, including (a) that Kerry calls the war wrong, and (b)that his cousin is fighting in the war. (This leads to (c)Him calling the war wrong when the cousin is fighting the war implies Chad shouldn't vote for him .)
It could also imply that the reason Kerry is the wrong man for the job is precisely because he called the war wrong when it's not, depriving him of the moral authority to prosecute the war correctly.

Dagonee

Xaposert
Member # 1612

Dag,
I believe that in order to ensure your beliefs about specific situations are truthful you must compare those to beliefs about other similar situations. Treating every specific situation as a totally different case isolated from all logic surrounding all other situations makes refining beliefs impossible.

For instance, if I say "It's okay to discriminate against blacks" I should first compare that to my beliefs about discriminating against other races - such as my own.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

But we also know that Chad thinks this war is not wrong. And again, you didn't bother to ask. You guessed at his underlying logic and stated that he would vote for Hitler.

Dagonee

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Not to you maybe, but I bet that is what he was saying it meant to him.

Why do I feel that I have had this conversation before.... [Roll Eyes]

Chad was saying that in this instance he felt that his version of supporting the troops was a valid reason to pck Bush, as he felt that Kerry would not do the same, possibly putting his cousin at risk.

I don't agree with him about Kerry, and I do think it was the wrong time and place...but I see why it would matter to him...Obvoously if he felt the war was unjustified he would feel diferently, at leat a bit.

There were many people he questioned Kerry's ability to lead in wartime. Why they chose a deserter (that IS what he did, BTW...it's Absent Without Leave, and he didn't have leave) on place of Kerry I don't know, but it is over and done with..for now.

Extrapolate at you own risk, Xap.

Kwea

[ November 05, 2004, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

This is another example of the infuriating tendancy of telling other people what their words mean.

And it's infurating.

Duh.

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Chad's cousin is hot! [Blushing]

I stated elsewhere that overwhelming support of the military for George Bush is a major factor for me as well.

If those guys are out there putting themselves on the line for me and my children, then I think I would have to have a darn good reason NOT to give them the leader they want.

Edit: cousin, not brother

[ November 05, 2004, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: Belle ]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, vwiggin, I can see where you think he looks a bit like Cary Elwes...
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

Yes! I still have a good eye for men. Well, you know what I mean. [Wink]
vwiggin
Member # 926

Good point Adam.

Remember the story of the boy who place his finger in the dam to save the city?

Bush is the boy who broke the dam, and the election was to decide which candidate would place his finger in the dam.

[ November 05, 2004, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: vwiggin ]

Xaposert
Member # 1612

quote:
But we also know that Chad thinks this war is not wrong. And again, you didn't bother to ask. You guessed at his underlying logic and stated that he would vote for Hitler.
No, I stated that IF he followed that logic THEN he'd vote for Hitler, which is entirely different. As I said in my first post, I didn't think that was the actual reason he was voting the way he did. I just said that what he seemed to be saying implied something I didn't think was right.

quote:
This is another example of the infuriating tendancy of telling other people what their words mean.
Actually, this is an example of OTHER FOLKS telling ME what CHAD's words mean (and what I meant when I responded to Chad.) And, as I've said previously, there's nothing wrong with you doing that.
Scott R
Member # 567

[Laugh] @ Xap.

Yes, that did occur.

I guess then, that we'll have to wait for Chad to post whether or not he meant Kerry specifically, or whether he meant in general.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

Xap, you said, "The fact of the matter is, by the logic Chad is discussing here, he WOULD vote for Hitler if his cousin were serving in Hitler's army."

Where's the if statement, exactly?

And I haven't said what Chad is saying. At most I've argued that what he said is insufficient to support the conclusions you've drawn.

Dagonee

Xaposert
Member # 1612

"By logic X, Y" means "If X then Y".

As in "The matter of the fact is, by the logic that the Iraq War is good, I'd vote for Bush." It doesn't mean I'd vote for Bush. It means IF I accepted that logic I'd vote for Bush.

Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Why is it that al the (ex)Kerry supporters seem to think they are smarter than everyone else? Just drop it, it doesn't matter.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Xap, sometimes I wonder if you do this on purpose. If you do, please let me know so I can simply ignore you.

You said, "by the logic Chad is discussing here." Not "the logic X."

My complaint is that you've defined X in a way that at most can only be inferred from Chad's statements.

Dagonee

Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
Why is it that al the (ex)Kerry supporters seem to think they are smarter than everyone else?
Because look at who everyone else supported!

Oh, I'm kidding. But really, give me an opening like that, and I gotta take it. It's like, law.

Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I won't stand for a "Wrong War, Wrong Place, Wrong Time" Commander in Chief while he's over there.
Xap, the contextual ambiguity of the "there" term in Chad's original post has been pointed out to you. He might be talking about wars in general, or he might be talking only about Iraq. What follows logically from the post depends upon how that term is interpreted, so it's disingenuous to say that "by his logic" he would support Hitler. Why don't we wait for Chad to tell us what his logic is?
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

Yes, and I inferred it. I don't see what's all that wrong with that. The worst that happens if I'm wrong is that my point about wrong reasons to vote a given way still stands (and I think it's an important point) but Chad points out that's not what he meant to say.

quote:
But really, give me an opening like that, and I gotta take it. It's like, law.
Now, see, forget Godwin's law. This is a real law I can agree with.

[ November 05, 2004, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: Xaposert ]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.