FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Email Attachment Help Needed

Author Topic: Email Attachment Help Needed
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
(please)

I run OE 6.

It is blocking attachments (that I send to myself from work so I can work from home.)

How do I change this?

I have explored the so-called "help" program - nothing.

Techie support, please???

(whimper)

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
The First Commandment : Thou Shalt Not Use Outlook Express.

Would never dream of using an email program made by the Evil Empire (tm), so I can't help you. I just wanted to get Internet Cred Points for mocking the Micro$oft-user. [Smile]

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it OE that's blocking attachments, or your anti-virus software, assuming you have such?

And seriously, OE sucks. Not that I'm trying to make you feel bad - I'm not. It's just that it's a terrible program. [Mad]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Post helpful information, or don't post at all.

[Razz]

(May I call you snotface in the spirit of things?)

[Big Grin]

(To KOM)

[ November 05, 2004, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: Shan ]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Good question, quid - I didn't think of that.

But as I ponder, it was never blocked before and it's the same antivirus stuff.

Hmmmm.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you gone to tools, options, security, and checked the box that says "do not allow attachments to be saved or opened htat could potentially be a virus"?

If the files you sent yourself were either zipped format or executables, that could be automatically interpreted as potentially harmful and therefore blocked.

So next question - what file format were the files you sent yourself?

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Word docs - XP.

I'll run off and check what you told me to - thanks!

Shan
Member # 4550

YEahhhh, quidscribis!!!

That did it!

Thank you.

Thank you.

thank you.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

You're welcome. But the other side of the coin is that now, you'll be able to open potentially damaging files. So you've got to make sure you

a. have antivirus software
b. update the virus definition files as soon as new ones come out
c. they're set on paranoid
d. they scan all email attachments.

Or you're setting yourself up for some major problems.

Shan
Member # 4550

Ahhh! But I am clever! I turned the option off long enough to save my files to my harddrive and then I turned the option back on!!!

Thanks again for your help!

[Smile]

Chaeron
Member # 744

- posted      Profile for Chaeron   Email Chaeron         Edit/Delete Post 
Want a Gmail account?
Posts: 1769 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Are you Beren in disguise?

*peers around suspiciously*

Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Want a REAL email client?

And please don't tell us you're using IE as well.....

[Wink]

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

What's wrong with IE????

[Confused]

*sigh* Do you know how long it tool me to learn how to use the basics of what is installed? I don't think I can handle trying to learn a new thing at the moment. i'm totally overwelmed by work, right now.

But thanks for the info, folks!

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Largely that its not standards compliant, has remarkably few features, particularly lacking the wonders of tabbed browsing, and has a crappy security model, making it far too easy to get spyware and malware problems. If you've ever had any of those, realize that if you used firefox, mozilla, or another alternative browser you most likely wouldn't have.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Gotta agree with the others. Firefox is way way way better. Hands down. And no pop up problems.
Shan
Member # 4550

hmmmmm . . . I have this fear - everytime I try to download something other than what came with the computer, I crash it and cause problems.

I need my own personal technician. If I had one of those, I wouldn't need a personal massage therapist . . .

[Roll Eyes]

Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Just to translate AND support fugu here - IE has problems. It doesn't render sites properly the way it's supposed to, it allows pop-up windows to have free reign and there a more than a few viruses that target IE due to security vulnerabilities.

Firefox handles all of these much more efficiently, although it has it's share of rendering problems too.

The two best, deal-maker abilities of firefox are definitely pop-up blocking and tabbed browsing. Tabbed browsing means that instead of having multiple windows for each webpage you view, you can arrange them all as a series of tabs at the top of your browser, and just switch between them. When you want to open a new page, just right-click on the link, and choose 'open in new tab' and it will open it up, but put it in a tab next to your other windows.

Apart from using it to test my own sites for compatibility, I haven't used IE in years.

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

tabbed browsing seems so simple and lovely . . .

*sighs dreamily*

Chaeron
Member # 744

I use Opera, Firefox and then as last resort, if nothing else works with a particular site, IE.

IE should really be a last resort.

Posts: 1769 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaeron
Member # 744

Oh, and I forgot to mention mouse gestures. They are lovely, and you can use them in both Opera and Firefox. They are better implemented in Opera though.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.