FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Firefox appreciation thread (down with Internet Explorer!)

Author Topic: Firefox appreciation thread (down with Internet Explorer!)
vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I know some people still feel funny about switching over to an open source browser. But I've read nothing but great things about Firefox.

Has anyone switched to Firefox and switched back to IE/Netscape?

quote:
Firefox is a browser designed from scratch to be secure, fast and customisable. It is the safest browser available, as it doesn’t contain any of the vulnerabilities that IE has, such as ActiveX components so often used to install spyware on IE-users’ machines. Most importantly, Firefox is still under very active development by a huge community of volunteer coders. If a vulnerability is found, it is corrected and an update made available in days, sometimes hours. This means Firefox cannot fall into the same trap that IE did — receiving no updates for years and having its various security holes get exploited by thousands of hackers and virus writers.
HTML source Review

quote:
Still supported is the tabbed browsing feature, which will become a quick favorite if you've never used it before. All your browser windows actually live inside a single window, each demarcated by tabs that you can click in and out of easily, which allow you to keep track of them.
Forbes Review

quote:
Recommended by 95% of users (646 reporting).
CNET Reviews

[ November 06, 2004, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: vwiggin ]

Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
only 646 users reporting or total? you're livin' on the edge, man . . .

[Angst]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been using Firefox for a few months. My computer died this morning and we rented one to tide us over until we can (hopefully) get a new one. The first thing I downloaded was Firefox. The second was Thunderbird (email). Yay for Firefox. [Wink]
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
I love firefox. I had a lot of problems with IE before I switched. The only thing I don't like about firefox is that when you click clickable smileys, they always appear at the end of your post, not wherever your cursor was at the time. Otherwise, I find it far better than IE. And if there's some way to fix that clickable-things-appearing-at-the-end thing that I'm too dense to figure out, can someone let me know? [Smile]
Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

You put me on the edge woman! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

quote:
The only thing I don't like about firefox is that when you click clickable smileys, they always appear at the end of your post, not wherever your cursor was at the time.
Oh my god, that bugs me too! Good thing I memorized my UBB code. [Smile]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I switched. Believe it or not, it's locked up on me in the last 6 months more than IE did in the preceeding year.

But it's rare enough that the other advantages outweigh this: faster loading, tabbed browser, extensibility.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't know about smilies.

But IE? It sucks! I used Firefox back when it was Phoenix. IE is a load of manure.

The only smily I used was at the end of a post, but swich to IE. No place for an argument or a discussion. Dump MS!

Jonathan Howard

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I have that same clickable smiley problem in Safari.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't click on the smilies usually, but I use the URL button all the time and it goes to the end, too.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

And Dag loves his links, so that must be a bit of a pain. [Wink]
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, I'm the opposite. I never use the URL button but I do click the smilies when I can't remember what the text code is.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I've never had a problem with smileys or URLs (Except for me posting the WRONG URL)
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually changed from mozilla back to IE in the early days of mozilla, it was just to buggy for me...but then when firefox came out, I liked it so I swiched to firefox and am still using it now. I can't imagine ever swiching back.
Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
"...And Lupus is an honourable man...Weave a circle round him thrice, and close your eyes with holy dread. For he on... <evil part.>"
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
I still use IE more than firefox, even though I have firefox set as my default browser.

IE seems to load graphics/images a lot faster on my machine than firefox does. Firefox does have an edge in general pages and text.

Also, I have yet to find a firefox plug-in that works well with my Toshiba touchpad. As many of you know, additional mouse commands are conveniently addicting and firefox disables the standard laptop touchpad shortcuts. All of the plug-ins seem to work for actually mice(especially the scroll wheel ones) but not the touchpad.

I'd say my usage breaks down as such
IE 70%
FF 30%

Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't click on the smilies usually, but I use the URL button all the time and it goes to the end, too.
Yeah, it's everything clickable. Sigh. But that is the only real complaint I have with firefox. I would never go back to IE. Well, except in two days when I'll be back at my parents house, where IE is the browser of choice. *weep*

Clearly I shall have to convince them of the advantages of firefox.

Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vwiggin
Member # 926

My two favorite Firefox extras:

1. The bookmarks toolbar. You can select "open tabs" in the bookmark folders on your bookmarks toolbar and have all your favorite links in a folder open up in tabs simultaneously.

2. Opening new tabs with the third scrolling button on the mouse.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The only thing I don't like about firefox is that when you click clickable smileys, they always appear at the end of your post, not wherever your cursor was at the time.
Gee-- that's because I use Firefox? I thought I was doing something wrong -- on that it was a forum bug. Go figure.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Bugmenot plugin. Oh yeah.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I only use IE for things like windows updates. I've been using firefox for months, and before that, opera. I'll never switch back to IE on a permanent basis.

Down with MicroSlop!

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
One nice thing about microsoft -- their web site is now fully accessible with mozilla now. A couple of years ago, you could only browse there effectively with IE.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
You can't mess with ctrl + t
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I just switched to fiefox today...before I read this thread! I had heard good things about it here, and from a few friends who are into this type of things, but I haven't used it a lot yet.

I'll let you know when I have...right now IE is still my default, but that might not be true for long.... [Big Grin]

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
You should try IE on a Mac - a more broken browser doesn't exist!

On my Mac I use Safari first, then Firefox.

On my PC I use Firefox.... and only launch IE 6 or 5.5 for browser testing of sites.

And yeah, FF does lock up occasionally, but I just can't do without tabbed browsing!

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Well, I am using it right now, and it does seem a bit quicker loading some things. I haven't used it enough to use it as a default, but I do like it so far.

I installed IE service pack 2, and that was suppose to solve a lot of the security problems with IE. I remember when Netscape was the bomb and Microsost was trying to catch up to them...lol....but I am use to my IE now, so changing might be a bit hard for me to do....

We will see.....

The tabbed browsing is cool though....very cool already....

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I just loaded the spell check, and it seems to be working pretty well.....that was the only thing I didn't like about firefox so far.

Kwea

kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
so changing might be a bit hard for me to do....
*pat* You'll make it fine, Kwea.

I have faith in thee.

Edit: and you can't mess with the clickable bookmarks either

[ November 07, 2004, 02:31 AM: Message edited by: kaioshin00 ]

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaeron
Member # 744

- posted      Profile for Chaeron   Email Chaeron         Edit/Delete Post 
Firefox makes me want to give up my beloved Opera; it is stable, reliable and basically malware proof. However, I still find it significantly slower on my machine than Opera, and it is almost as big a memory hog as IE.

I think my current setup works well: Opera and Firefox interchangably.

Posts: 1769 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, yeah. I just tried COMMAND + T for the first time.

That alone makes Firefox worth it.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Okay -- are you on a Mac? Just CTRL-T opens a new tab for me.
But your command screwed up my fonts

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
So how does it compare to netscape?
And where do I get it?

I like netscape over IE. Usually don't have a problem with it.

Does Firefox protect against scripts and those annoying cookies?

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Netscape nowadays just uses an old Mozilla codebase, pretty much. Firefox is based on the newest Mozilla codebase, and its much nicer.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Katarain -- as far as your question about where to get it.

Right Here

[ November 17, 2004, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: Farmgirl ]

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a fan and have switched over.

The only feature I don't like is how the bookmarks are presented. It's a pain in the ass to have to wait for the scroll thing at the bottom than scroll it myself.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Does the FireFox program itself install any malware? If not, then I sign up.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

Sorry about your fonts, Farmgirl, Yes, I am on a Mac.

You pressed COMMAND + T on a PC? I didn't know there was a COMMAND key on a PC keyboard. [Dont Know]

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

don't worry about it afr -- I fixed it.

Yes, I read the word "Command" as "controL" for some reason, and took the "plus" sign very literally -- which tells Firefox to increase font when you use Control and Plus and T

easy fix
LOL

FG

Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
FireFox definitely does not install any malware.

Basically, Firefox is the descendant of Netscape Navigator. Smaller, quicker, faster descendant, that is.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

And here I am, using firefox. Eh. I prefer the other thing, Internet Explorer. But I dislike MicroSoft, and competition is good. As such, I shall keep it and promote it!
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ghost of Zevlag
Member # 3346

- posted      Profile for Ghost of Zevlag   Email Ghost of Zevlag         Edit/Delete Post 
Phanto, what do you prefer in IE?

I've been getting online at lots of public internet cafe's recently. I download and install firefox on every one of them [Wink] Sometimes I just have to install it to a hidden folder on the desktop... hehe.

Posts: 28 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Hatrack looks different with Firefox and the [ROFL] moves a lot faster.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Farmgirl. [Smile]

I'm using it now. I have animations only cycle once in netscape, so it's interesting to see the icons dancing in the corner. [Smile]

(I have them only cycle once because of annoying blinking ads.)

I kinda like this firefox thing. I'll use it for a while. I also downloaded chatzilla. Kinda neat. [Smile]

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

You know how mice these days have a button in the middle, and with that button you can scroll down quickly? And when you click it, you can scroll down even quicker?

Firefox does not handle that function well. It does not scroll down at a comfortable pace. Furthermore, it keeps opening new tabs!

fugu13
Member # 2859

Hey phanto, first, see if firefox has smooth scrolling turned on. If it is, turn it off (its in Advanced) and see if that improves things.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Oh, and the button in the middle in firefox defaults to opening a new tab when you click on a link, not scrolling faster (and that's not really what it does in any other application, actually).
Kwea
Member # 2199

I use firefox most of the time now, and I like it a lot. There are a few sites that seem to have a problem loading with it, but since it is faster than IE on all the other ones I still like it.

I just click "view in IE", and I am fine, adn the operation doesn't time out.

Kwea

Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
You can turn off animations in FireFox too.

Open a new tab, and in the URL bar, enter 'about:config', minus the quotes. Then filter on the word 'image'.In the resulting list, there will be an option called 'image.animationMode'. Double-click on it, and a window appears. You can enter normal, once, or none. normal repeats images, once will cycle through once and then stop, none will not animate the image.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

Oh, man, that is nice. Thanks, Bok!
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
*A happy Firefox user*
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.