FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is this because I voted for Bush?

Author Topic: Is this because I voted for Bush?
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
nobody watched my movie. [Frown]

----------------------
Here is the link. You can select either Real Media or Windows (wmv) in two sizes, regular and small. (Small is recommended if you don't have broadband.)

I'm making a three-minute "film" for a library multimedia class, and I was wondering if y'all would be interested in taking a look at it and tell me what I can/should improve.

Free virtual shoo-fly pie for all who reply. [Smile]

[ November 11, 2004, 01:39 AM: Message edited by: Yozhik ]

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know Adobe Premiere, but I would like to see the video anyways [Wink]
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryoko
Member # 4947

- posted      Profile for Ryoko   Email Ryoko         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I use Adobe Premiere Pro a bit. I am by no means an expert, but I may be able to point you in the right direction.

Have you gone to the help boards at the Adobe site? They can be pretty helpful over there. (When they have the mind to. [Smile] )

Posts: 194 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

I'll get a link to the video up today or tomorrow. I'm having trouble figuring out how to get it small without it looking terrible.
Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

The link to my "film" project is here. It's a Real Media file and you can choose either the large or the small version.

Let me know what you all think!!

AmkaProblemka
Member # 6495

- posted      Profile for AmkaProblemka   Email AmkaProblemka         Edit/Delete Post 
You said you had it in .avi I would rather watch it that way than real media.
Posts: 438 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

I'll put the .avi file up! (warning: it's huge and I don't know how to make it smaller).

I also put up two .wmv versions, large and small.

[ November 10, 2004, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: Yozhik ]

Yozhik
Member # 89

*bump*
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
yes, it's because you voted for Bush [Razz]

I liked the soundtrack. Russian churches look a lot like the Polish ones, even though ours are mostly Catholic.

Very cool movie [Cool]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I like the music, and the pictures are neat. But it looks more like a slideshow than a movie. There's no story in it. I wonder if you can tell more of a story with the pictures, maybe closing in on interesting details, using more of a progression of themes, things like that.

Try switching the pictures on different beats of the music, or varying the length of time that they're up. Don't make it obvious when they are going to switch.

The second half of the music, with the bells, is neat at first, but then gets long and monotonous. It's hard to keep interest going through that. I suggest shortening that part.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryoko
Member # 4947

- posted      Profile for Ryoko   Email Ryoko         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I just viewed your film (small wmv version) and here are my first impressions:

I liked all of your materials (pictures and soundtrack) and I think you have put them together pretty effectively.

Here are a few ideas: (Use them at your own risk. [Smile] )

1) One thing I would consider is matching the pacing of the pictures to the music a little more. At the beginning, the score has a moderately slow choral section that eventually transitions to the bells section. Perhaps you could slow down the pace of during the choral section and soften the transitions between the images with slow dissolves. Then, for contrast, when you arrive at the bells section, gradually go back to the sharp cuts between pictures and match your pictures to the tempo of the large bells as close as you can. If you wanted to get fancy, you could gradually dissolve each picture to match the decay of each large bell, but that could get a little crowded.

2) Don't be afraid to start the film with a blank screen before bringing in the first image. With this music, it wouldn't be inappropriate. Perhaps a short title and credit intro over the initial strains of the music? Nothing too much, just something understated to set the initial mood.

3) The first part of the film seems to be mostly concerned with intimate INDOOR shots of people INSIDE the churches. The second part (with the bells) seems to be mostly outdoor shots of the churches. I think it might be more striking if you adhered to this principle a little more strictly. Use only indoor shots during the choral section and then gradually "take them outside" with the bells transition.

4) Use of space. Have you tried varying the location of the pictures on the screen? This is more effective when you fade the pictures in and out and the pacing is slow, but it is something to think about.

Anyway, those are just some initial thoughts. You are doing a great job!

Posts: 194 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.