FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Please Don't Supersize Me

Author Topic: Please Don't Supersize Me
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
o_O

Holy crap. I just finished watching the documentary. It...ugh. I'm certainly never eating the chicken nuggets again. Ever.

Ew.

*twitch*

Has anyone else seen this movie?

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothankyou. [Angst]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Not me. And I remember telling you not to watch it either. Ew.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I know. You were SO RIGHT.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Would you like fries with that?
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched it. Not bad. I thought the guy was a little annoying, though. And his girlfriend.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmmm... McDonalds... [Smile]
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Is Wendy's open yet?
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Is the name of the documebtary "Please Don't Suersize Me?" Is it in theaters? What the heck is it?
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it.
It was really interesting, but I had already given up fast food for the most part because of this radio program that said how much environmental damage is created just to make a few billion stupid hamburgers.
Such as how much pesticides are used for those french fries.
It pissed me off.
Not to mention the amount of transfat in that toxic sludge.
And we're spreading it to other countries [Frown]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=617&item=6338097177&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I have been to McDonalds very few times since I saw it last winter... On an unrelated note, after seeing a note on my church bulletin board last Christmas Eve, I haven't been to Taco Bell at all.

Of course, I have it easy here; we have all sorts of local restaurants, Irish pub grub, Indian, Tibetan, Chinese, Thai, Barbecue, Italian...

Supersize Me! definately made immediate things I assumed already.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Can my children(8 and 10) see it?
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

I dunno. They may see the school lunch scene, and never eat in-school lunches again [Smile]

There is some cussing, and some graphic vomiting. I'd preview it first.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
this radio program that said how much environmental damage is created just to make a few billion stupid hamburgers.
Such as how much pesticides are used for those french fries.

Just so you know, I've seen where the potatoes are grown. There is no environment to destroy (Southern Idaho is a desert)
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
No, and please don't tell me what the "ew" was about. I like chicken nuggets.

And why would they show vomiting? That's just not right. I was mildly interested in seeing it before, but now that I know that, ain't no way in hell I'll ever watch it. *shudders*

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

They show it, because it an intense moment at the beginning of the documentary, the first time the guy gets a double quarter pounder with cheese, supersized.

-Bok

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
All food is gross if you see where it comes from. If this bothers you cityfolk, don't go to a farm and don't watch documenteries about it.

And if pesticides bother you, eat organic. At least until you realize you paid double for the lettuce only to find a swarm of half-a-worms on the end of your fork.

Remember: "People who like Law and Sausage should not see how they are made."

Jeez people, don't you know what a disgusting job it is just to get that tasty bit of food on your plate? I don't care if it's tofu, steak or eggplant.

Just remember that these type of movies are from people with an agenda against their victims. These movies are no different from Michael Moore, Pro-Life movies like "Silent Scream", or those movies PETA puts out showing how horrible animals are treated. Heck, when I was little I went to church with a friend and they showed me a movie about how I was going to burn in hell (ah, southern babtists). Same type deal.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
I just have to do it:

"Dah da dah dah dah". "I'm Lovin it".

(The trainwreck I call my digestive system, that is).

I don't eat at McDonalds anymore, though.

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmkaProblemka
Member # 6495

- posted      Profile for AmkaProblemka   Email AmkaProblemka         Edit/Delete Post 
The documentary was full of poor science. What is sad, is that it is basically to point out something that most of us already know: fast food is not good for us. But maybe there needs to be an extreme, propogandic movie to convince people of what they already know.

As far as food preparation, processed isn't the horrible thing, it is the extra chemicals that are often put into it: preservatives, dyes, and flavor enhancers like MSG. We process our own food. Who here hasn't put something in a blender and called it good? And why should we be icked out by making sure every single part of the animal that gets processed is used in some way? I would rather that happen than that we waste any part of their sacrifice to our need for food.

I mean, not much more than a hundred years ago, most of us women would be butchering our own meat, which would mean skinning or removing feathers (to be used later for clothing or bedding), hacking meat off bones, keeping the grease for making our own soap, and using the bones a couple times for soups.

Posts: 438 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Good point. A lot of people would be grossed out by soap if they knew where it came from. . . .
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
There is this urban legend I have heard more than once that there is a study concerning rats that were fed what is considered to be a healthy, balanced diet, and also a diet completely of McDonalds, and that the McDonalds rats proved healthier at the end of the study...

Just thought you might have heard it...

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
Did this documentary cover any other fast food stuff? Like Subway, BK, Wendy's, etc?
Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.